2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Kia Soul, Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
Looks cool.
Good price.

BUT

It's cheaply put together, sat in one, when I shut the door it rattles vibrates.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:44 AM
dgs
Originally Posted by Filithell
I tried to look at a Soul when I was shopping for my Fit last week. I test drove a Cube, xD, Mazda3, xB, Vibe, and my Fit. I had to BEG the Kia salesperson to even show us the Soul. He knew we were looking around and cars and planned to pick one and buy within the week. When I asked for a Soul test drive, I was told to come back when I was "more serious about buying" because he works "on commission" and if he took us for a ride he might miss out on "actual paying customers".

So we never got to test drive the Soul......but that experience put me off on even trying another Kia regardless of how interested I was originally. It certainly looked like a great step for the company though.

That said, I am very pleased with my brand new Fit Sport!
Wow, that's pretty horrible service. In this economy car salesmen should be practically begging customers to buy, not come off with a "take it or leave it" attitude. I don't know what kind of psychological game he was trying to play with you, but it obviously failed since you bought a Honda and not a Kia.

Yeah, as I said when I posted this I would love some of the standard features on the Soul Sport to be offered on the Fit Sport, but there is no way I would trade my brand new Fit for one. First off, I don't believe in buying a new car and then immediately trading it, as that makes zero financial sense. The gas mileage for the Fit is amazing and I'm sure real-world mileage is much better than the Soul. Lastly, I don't trust the Soul to be as reliable as my Fit, and since I intend to drive my Fit at least the next 10 years, reliability is important to me. The only way my 10 year plan would be altered is if the next gen Fit, whenever that comes out (another 5 years?) is significantly upgraded over the current gen. Then I might think about trading for the new model.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by dgs
Wow, that's pretty horrible service. In this economy car salesmen should be practically begging customers to buy, not come off with a "take it or leave it" attitude. I don't know what kind of psychological game he was trying to play with you, but it obviously failed since you bought a Honda and not a Kia.

Yeah, as I said when I posted this I would love some of the standard features on the Soul Sport to be offered on the Fit Sport, but there is no way I would trade my brand new Fit for one. First off, I don't believe in buying a new car and then immediately trading it, as that makes zero financial sense. The gas mileage for the Fit is amazing and I'm sure real-world mileage is much better than the Soul. Lastly, I don't trust the Soul to be as reliable as my Fit, and since I intend to drive my Fit at least the next 10 years, reliability is important to me. The only way my 10 year plan would be altered is if the next gen Fit, whenever that comes out (another 5 years?) is significantly upgraded over the current gen. Then I might think about trading for the new model.
Completely agree
I figure, when i've had it a while and its breaking 200, i'm gonna swap it for a K20 and put some real money into it, cuz by that time, the engines and the mods will be cheaper.
Moreover, think 20 years from now, how many GD3s are you gonna see rollin around? It'll be a fresh, "blast from the past" kinda thing. But i guess you can never expect whats gonna be out in the next 10 or 20 years

Old 06-18-2009, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
I am not into all of the superficial doo dads that seem to be what impresses people the most a about the KIA Soul,.... The two things that I've heard about it on this thread that appeals to me is that it handles and even more impressive, the A/C actually blows out COLD air.... I wish that the Fit had a cold A/C, especially like right now..... A car that is fun to drive has no need for entertaining doo dads, but should be comfortable enough to drive for hours without sweating,freezing or back aches..... I just can't afford to drive a Volvo and they are laden down with doo dads now a days.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the car looks 'viewable' in the picts, but it's like a frikken
joke in person. especially the red one.

i saw one driving down the street several weeks ago and
could not stop laughing. at first i was like .. blinked
a few times cause i couldn't figureout wat the hell i was
looking at. originally i thought it was a modified
hatch of some sort for a store or something doing
promo's. like those RedBull MINI's.

then i faintly saw SOUL and

Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Fit and Soul

I am re-birthing this thread because I am looking at the Soul and the Fit. I like the looks of the Soul and the way that it sits high on the road and my passengers could get into it easily. If it were made by Honda there wouldn't be a question.

But..... The Fit is a Honda and I am a huge fan of the reliability and overall quality. I ride bikes and I can sit my bicycle upright in the back of a fit if I rig it up properly, and while the mileage is officially only a few mpg different, it looks like in real life the Fit does much better.

My heart (and Soul) is sold on the Soul, but my brain is telling me to get the Fit.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
I bought a KIA for my daughter a few years ago. Their warranty is a joke, in spite of what they say. When they have a defective designed part, instead of fixing the design, they keep putting the defective type on your car. Of course it breaks, but then when the warranty runs out, you are stuck with the bill. We went through 4 clutches, none of which would they cover, and she did not abuse it, and two transmissions in 3 years. The shifter broke, literally broke off, and a drive axle FELL out of the transmission. Things got worse from there. Do you really want a KIA?

Last edited by citabria7; 02-23-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by dgs
Not sure if this thread is in the correct part of the forms, but since I own an 09 Fit Sport this has been the only place I've posted. Mods, if I screwed up please feel free to move it where you see "fit."

Anyway, out of boredom I was checking out the Kia Soul today and I have to hand it to Kia, they did a lot of things right with the Soul. As a matter of a fact, as I was looking through the features, options, and specifications I found 11 things I like about the Sould over the Fit (this is for the Soul Sport, the only model I would buy):

1. Rear 10.2" disc instead of drum brakes. The Civic has these too, would it have been a big deal for Honda to put discs instead of drums on the Sport model?

2. A sunroof option. It's only a $700 option, I would have gladly paid that had it been available on the Fit.

3. Outside temperature display. Honda needs to add this, there is pleny of space for one.

4. Stability control standard, not with the purchase of a very expensive option. I don't think much more needs to be said about this.

5. 315 watt sound system. The 160 watt system in our Fit is okay, but for a car marketed to Gen Y, Honda really skimped on the sound system. They should have put the 350 watt system from the Civic SI in the Fit Sport.

6. Center console with storage as stock. Yes, I know we can buy one, but it's an expensive option and it should have come with the Sport model at least.

7. Bluetooth with steering wheel controls. Again, for a car marketed to a technically savvy generation how did Honda leave this out? Dumb oversight.

8. Height adjustable drivers seat. This would have been nice, but at least we get tilt and telescoping steering wheel and they only get tilt.

9. Auto dimming rearview mirror option. Just like the sunroof, this isn't even an option for us. Why? The Civic has one, why not make one for the Fit?

10. 70.3 inches wide. The Fit is a little too narrow I think. I've had a few of my big friends ride with me (250 lbs) and while the head and legroom is great, our shoulders are too close for comfort. The Fit could really use a couple of more inches in the width I feel.

11. 12.7 gallon gas tank. Anything is better than our puny 10.6 gallon tank. Why did it need to be so small?

Okay, that's it. It probably seems like I took a great deal of time and thought to put this list together, but not at all. As I was going through the Soul features and specs I was like "damn, I wish we had that" over and over. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I think we can all agree there is room for improvement. The Soul Sport with a 5-speed manual and sunroof option is $18,300. My Fit Sport 5-speed manual with navigation was $18,500. I would gladly have given up the navigation option to get all of the stuff above and keep the price the same. Heck, I could buy a Garmin 750 for like $400 and be happy with that.

Your thoughts?
The newest-generation Kias are well reviewed and regarded vehicles in most of their arena. I am looking at a Soul to replace an Accord. The drive of the car is nice, I second most of your things you like. I will likely get a base manual as fuel efficiency is a major factor for me after packaging.

The nay-sayers about Kia have validity when applied to earlier generation cars. Reliability on the earliest and some newer Kias has been poor. As a short-term financial performer Kia is the worst short of Chrysler. In the "drive it into the ground" scenario that won't matter. If you like a new car every couple-three years, stick with Honda, Toyota, Scion, or Ford. I do plan on leasing mine, 179 a month with roughly 2 grand out of pocket. If I love it at the end buy it for 8 grand, if not hand it back.

In the end, the Fit is a largely european Honda, the Soul is a largish very American Elantra. I like qualities of both but I have the option of both.

FWIW

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM
Whatever you pick, good luck. If it is a KIA, I hope you won't need to rely on the warranty. Much is made of the fact that they are owned by Hyundai. They were when I had mine, but it was still a disaster. Anyway, good luck whatever you pick.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Where I come from, the Soul is priced almost the same as the base model of the Genesis Coupe 2.0T.

The Soul ain't a bad car, but the Hyundai gets my money. Sorry

Old 02-24-2010, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
That thing looks absolutely hideous to my eyes. Not so much the overall shape of it, but the crap on the body, the added on chrome trim (I hate chrome) that looks just that, added on and not thought out when the car was designed. That baby shit yellow color doesn't do much for it either. The wheels look a little large for it in that moving shot (to my eyes) and the black moldings behind the blinker and doors just don't look right. I don't see anything sporty about its looks either. Whereas the GE Fit actually has a nice sporty look to it, even moreso when compared to this thing, well I say this about the shorter version and not the elongated version.

The other stuff that it comes with that the Fit doesn't, wouldn't matter to me whatsoever, because all that crap is not needed to drive the vehicle. My Fit didn't even come with a headunit, I put in my own headunit, which can do bluetooth (which I don't use anyways) and to my surprise the front doors actually had speakers. Do they sound great, well not really, but I wasn't even expecting anything to be there. I really wish more cars were offered without unnecessary crap or crap that people like myself will change out or completely remove.

Haven't seen one of these Souls or any Kia up close as they don't sell here and the 21 months hiatus over in Guam, between Okinawa and here, even though there was a Kia dealer next to Honda, I didn't take a gander as I would never even consider owning one. I'm sure Kia has improved as Hyundai has done over the past 24 years of selling cars in the US.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 02-24-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
One last bit of info. On my daughter's KIA, when we put in claims for the clutches to be covered under warranty, they were denied. KIA told me that they had NEVER had a clutch go out on one of their cars. It had to be our fault. In the times when I was waiting at the dealer, after my daughter's was hauled in on the hook, EACH time, I saw 2-4 KIAS also dragged in on the hook. Out of curiousity, I asked the sullen owners what was wrong with their cars, and EVERY ONE of them said it was the clutch that had gone out. Some multiple clutch failures. Yet KIA said they had never had a clutch failure. Each owner had filed a claim, all denied, all with the same story from KIA. A company that lies to that extent...do you really want them?

Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by citabria7
One last bit of info. On my daughter's KIA, when we put in claims for the clutches to be covered under warranty, they were denied. KIA told me that they had NEVER had a clutch go out on one of their cars. It had to be our fault. In the times when I was waiting at the dealer, after my daughter's was hauled in on the hook, EACH time, I saw 2-4 KIAS also dragged in on the hook. Out of curiousity, I asked the sullen owners what was wrong with their cars, and EVERY ONE of them said it was the clutch that had gone out. Some multiple clutch failures. Yet KIA said they had never had a clutch failure. Each owner had filed a claim, all denied, all with the same story from KIA. A company that lies to that extent...do you really want them?
I WANT to say I'm NOT surprised, but i truly am. Surprised that dealerships would go that far when it's not even their money that is being affected. Isn't it the company's responsibility? Why should the sewer-dwelling dealers put so much effort into denying a claim so important? It's rediculous.

From what i can tell, it sounds like KIA (or whoever owns KIA) is avoiding a recall... Maybe Toyota's Chief, Toyoda, should point the finger and say, "See! See! I'm not the only one!"

Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM
WSRPRED..The Japanese have a saying: "If it stinks, put a lid on it". That is what happened to Toyota, and earlier with Mitsubishi. Apparently, the Koreans have the same saying. Just deny, deny deny, and if you deny enough, nobody will know anything is wrong.