2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Injen GE intake is here

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
This is just my guess.
From spray yes probably to an extent.
From submergtion h*ll no.

Where I live where we tend to have flooding...I'm not risking it.
1hp less to have a short ram in a safe place.... bring on the short ram in the right position injen!!!
haha, I'm not taking a chance too. still debating on what kind of sri though. maybe AEM..

AEM or Fujita or Injen or PRM or othersss. hrmmmm..

Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
seems like all the intakes are getting the same amount in gains.

btw, the air scoop in real world test doesn't really help any, if at all. just fyi
What real world tests have you performed to prove that this air scoop doesnt help any?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I agree with qbmurder13 the stock under hood scoop looks to be pretty efficient and so does the stock intake design. I am a firm believer in stock intakes w/ drop in aftermarket filters on n/a engines.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
What real world tests have you performed to prove that this air scoop doesnt help any?
X2 on that! I'm sure it is functional or it woldnt be there and other Japanese racing companies wouldn't make intake and grilles for it.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
also, why would honda put something in their car that doesn't work. why would they waster their money devoloping and making something that does absolutely nothing.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by it's pronounced iVTEC
also, why would Honda put something in their car that doesn't work. why would they waster their money developing and making something that does absolutely nothing.
X2 on that!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Simple, two inside/outside temp thermometer stuck to the ECU under the air scoop and stuck under the hood on the scoop about 12-15" from the front of the car. I don't have the exact numbers here at work, but I'll update when I get home. Pretty much the temperature only had a 2-7 degree range from the scoop opening to under the hood, city driving and also under acceleration. Once up to speed, the temps both started going down together. The scoop of course was dropping faster and did get about 5-10 degrees cooler than under the hood. This though was after about 10 minutes of cruising at about 70mph.
Bonatrade International DIGITAL INDOOR OUTDOOR THERMOMETER : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
not sure if i can link that, so if it's not allowed, let me know and i'll delete it. not the exact one i used (I bought mines from Kragen's for $5.99 each). How accurate the actual thermometer is, isn't that important as long as you use the same exact one for both readings.
Originally Posted by quick92ciFit
I agree with qbmurder13 the stock under hood scoop looks to be pretty efficient and so does the stock intake design. I am a firm believer in stock intakes w/ drop in aftermarket filters on n/a engines.
Originally Posted by Fallen_Rock
X2 on that! I'm sure it is functional or it woldnt be there and other Japanese racing companies wouldn't make intake and grilles for it.
indeed it is efficient. Unfortunately it was made to cool off the ECU. Not neccesarrily the intake. While it does indeed bring in cooler air, because it's not funneled into the intake, it is not as efficient as you would think. Grilles that utilize a ram to bring in cold air are usually also connected to the actual intake that runs directly into the intake. Because this does not, the actual intake is still bringing in the warm ambient air that is in the engine bay. Unless you are only driving on the freeway all the time, the air scoop does very little.
Originally Posted by it's pronounced iVTEC
also, why would honda put something in their car that doesn't work. why would they waster their money devoloping and making something that does absolutely nothing.
it cools the ECU.

If you guys look at the actual stock intake, the opening where it sucks air in, is connected to nothing. It's just in the general area of the air scoop. The scoop itself has a direct opening to put air right on top of the ECU.
Will this help on the highway? Sure to an extent. Real world driving or "racing" applications, the OEM scoop doesn't help much if any at all.
Not to point any intakes out, but the shorter the intake tube, the more likely for heat soak. Especially if it's not pulling in cool air. This pretty much goes for all SRI. In real world driving, after awhile, the head from the head will transfer to the manifold (while the Fit's manifold is plastic, this helps... but will eventually get warm also), then to the intake, then to the filter.

Last edited by Alpha Zero; 06-15-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
Simple, two inside/outside temp thermometer stuck to the ECU under the air scoop and stuck under the hood on the scoop about 12-15" from the front of the car. I don't have the exact numbers here at work, but I'll update when I get home. Pretty much the temperature only had a 2-7 degree range from the scoop opening to under the hood, city driving and also under acceleration. Once up to speed, the temps both started going down together. The scoop of course was dropping faster and did get about 5-10 degrees cooler than under the hood. This though was after about 10 minutes of cruising at about 70mph.
Bonatrade International DIGITAL INDOOR OUTDOOR THERMOMETER : JC Whitney: Auto Parts & Accessories
not sure if i can link that, so if it's not allowed, let me know and i'll delete it. not the exact one i used (I bought mines from Kragen's for $5.99 each). How accurate the actual thermometer is, isn't that important as long as you use the same exact one for both readings.

indeed it is efficient. Unfortunately it was made to cool off the ECU. Not neccesarrily the intake. While it does indeed bring in cooler air, because it's not funneled into the intake, it is not as efficient as you would think. Grilles that utilize a ram to bring in cold air are usually also connected to the actual intake that runs directly into the intake. Because this does not, the actual intake is still bringing in the warm ambient air that is in the engine bay. Unless you are only driving on the freeway all the time, the air scoop does very little.

it cools the ECU.

If you guys look at the actual stock intake, the opening where it sucks air in, is connected to nothing. It's just in the general area of the air scoop. The scoop itself has a direct opening to put air right on top of the ECU.
Will this help on the highway? Sure to an extent. Real world driving or "racing" applications, the OEM scoop doesn't help much if any at all.
Not to point any intakes out, but the shorter the intake tube, the more likely for heat soak. Especially if it's not pulling in cool air. This pretty much goes for all SRI. In real world driving, after awhile, the head from the head will transfer to the manifold (while the Fit's manifold is plastic, this helps... but will eventually get warm also), then to the intake, then to the filter.

Tushay!!!!!!!

Old 06-15-2009, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Well played sir! thanks for clearing that up for us

Old 06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Alpha Zero

Good points.
I couldn't agree more on city driving (less than 25 mph) w/ the scoop but anything above that I could argue. Like where does all that colder ambient air go right after it blow past the ECU...more in likely right to the opening of the stock intake right?

As for the CAI tubing most of this tubing runs right in front of the engine or right next to it on the 09 Fit CAI designs I've seen. Yes the filter is in a colder location (also higher probability of getting wet location) but with long tubing running right in front of the engine (nothing in between the engine and the intake metal tube) whats to stop that tubing to get excessively hot and primarily heating the ambient air coming to the intake like a heating coil. By the time you have all that "metal tubing" finally getting to the intake manifold I just see a chance of it being just as warm as the air being pulled from the stock hood scoop (5-10 deg) maybe? I would like to see how hot that air actually is there compared to the stock air box...which by the way is plastic (does not transmit heat as much as metal does).
I do like the straight tubing of aftermarket intakes (able to pull more air quicker that the stock air box) but I sometime wonder how much of a difference there really is between a sri and a cai air temps on our 09 fit specifically.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 06-15-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Yea, I think after awhile, it's all about the same. That's my personally feeling about the intakes. But... the intakes sound a lot nicer. lol

EDIT: I should clarify that statement. For street use, I think they are all the same in the end. For racing applications when racers are trying to squeeze every last bit of HP out of the car, it is not the same.

Last edited by Alpha Zero; 06-15-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Retired Moderator
Interesting......

Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 AM
o hey welcome back jdm!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
If a independent party dynos it with similar results, I'm gonna get it.