2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit vs. Suzuki SX4 on Edmund's Long Term

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by concorde
if you don't like it, get rid of it.
I don't want to be negative, but I totally disagree. If we can't criticize something we invest in, how can it ever be improved upon? Honda needs to hear our complaints to hopefully build a better product in the future. This forum should be about sharing our opinions, good and bad, because we are passionate owners who care.

P.S. Us Canadians want a MAP LIGHT!

Last edited by Scaldy; 05-15-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 AM
My baby smashes on the highway. Noticed crosswind problems when I first got the car. 7000 miles later, I'm loving every second.

I came from a 2005 Scion xB, and I feel this car handles WAY better than my Scion. In my xB, the wind was always like "F*ck your car!"

Old 05-16-2009, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
wow, my fit is just fine on the highway, i think your driving too slow man because i've got 24,000 miles+ on mine and haven't really ever felt at all like my car was going to be blown off the road. i have driven several 6 hour+ trips down to vegas, to LA, and back and at 75 - 80+ don't think twice when i'm passing a diesel or it's passing me, i've hit sand storms in the desert outside baker california that pitted my mirror housings and windshield and didn't feel the effect your explaining, just like i don't hit railroad crossings to slow because the car bounces really bad, when i hit them at a decent speed the suspension absorbs it better and it's actually smoother!
i hope woy either figure where you or the car is going wrong and are able to fix it cause i couldn't imagin one day without my fit - it's a blast to drive EVERYWHERE!!

P.S. I've always lowered every car i've ever owned shortly after buying it includung my extended aerostar - that could be a factor, get the air out from under it and it will act better, i promise

Old 05-16-2009, 01:57 AM
Mine was terrible when I first got it. Anything over 65 felt like I was going to go off the road.

Now that the bushings have worn somewhat, the tires worn in a little, it is much better. The biggest part of the problem wound up being the 45 pounds of pressure in the OEM dunlops. They really really really don't like that. If I want to do the PSL on the interstate I gotta keep it around 32-34 cold psi or so like it says on the door.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
SHOULD HAVE TEST DRIVEN THE ****IN CAR BEFORE DROPPING NEARLY 20K ON IT. srsly.

dont like it? stfu or sell it

Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
Daaaamn, so much for my peace and love post.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
SHOULD HAVE TEST DRIVEN THE ****IN CAR BEFORE DROPPING NEARLY 20K ON IT. srsly.

dont like it? stfu or sell it
agreed lol

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Scaldy
Daaaamn, so much for my peace and love post.
i bring the real talk

Old 05-16-2009, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't really noticed any problems on the highway, at least at speeds up to 65 (and that's as fast as you can LEGALLY drive in NY). The Fit is nimble, but holds it's line well. Maybe it's me, as I have owned nothing but small cars for the last 30 years, and my other vehicle is a Harley. Maybe I'm just used to driving small cars on the highway, or maybe I'm just slow.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
One of these days, one of you guys will get in trouble with serious crosswinds and you'll start believing. Its just fine without winds, but seriously flawed on the highway with serious winds. The worse part of the trip was on I-90 in upstate NY.

I did drop the tire pressure a little before the trip home, it was better but the winds weren't that bad either on that trip. On 287 in NJ without winds, getting it up to 75-80 without any issues.

Some of you people need to open your eyes, you probably haven't driven/owned enough cars to know better. Yes, umm, the Fit is an econobox, at least I know that unlike some delusional people, and its certainly not perfect.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Now, when did I ever say the Fit, or any other car for that matter was "perfect"?

Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Neteng, you can't make blanket assumptions like that. As I posted before and tried to help you, maybe it's an anomaly in the suspension/steering/alignment. It's happened to me and others before and it is not normal.

My Fit has seen quite a few serious hurricane-speed crosswinds since last August. Enough that you can see other cars on the road having difficulty holding their lane. My Fit acquitted itself well. I didn't sense anything wrong with its stability. And I've owned and driven many many cars in my lifetime. I also just came from an 08 Accord. So since my and other Fit owners here have expressed that there isn't a serious issue with crosswind stability, what does that tell you?

The Fit has a lot to be desired as far as highway stability, but:

1. This symptom improves after the car puts on some miles.
2. What you're describing seems to be exaggerated, therefore a possible defect.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
How many miles is needed? I was only a little over 5,000 when I started the trip. Nowhere near 20k or such. Mine has Bridgestones though, not Dunlops.

And I've seen a few others before here confirm crosswind stability issues, enough to know I'm not alone and this isn't all that uncommon. Edmunds has also noted that it isn't great on the highway with winds before.

I don't think we can ignore that there's definitely something about the Fit and winds that isn't all that great. Suspension/alignment issues will be visible under other driving conditions too - this seems to be caused only when the winds pick up.

Its almost as though the car not only gets blown, but it feels like there's positive lift involved too (wind under car).

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
the Fit is an econobox, at least I know that unlike some delusional people, and its certainly not perfect. [/quote]

MINE'S PERFECT for me and what i bought it for!

NO SERIOUSLY THOUGH, i hope you figure it out

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Again, YES others like you posted the same degree of complaint, while OTHERS here posted that there's nothing abnormal or there's no issue. THAT means there could be something wrong with your car. If EVERYBODY or MOST owners were ballyhooing to the degree of you or others, THEN it would make sense that that's a normal trait of the car and therefore just a design flaw.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Reading back again - its kinda obvious we're talking apples to oranges here... I'm certain lowered suspension, wider tires, etc will fix it... but in stock form from the factory, the Fit is not so great then.

Crystal - the stock tires on the RSX is pure junk, I know that firsthand, and just changing the tires even (not wider, not lowering, etc) would be enough to provide a rather dramatic improvement.

As for the Fit - I really think they made this car a bit too tall - even a 1/2 inch lower might make a real difference. Maybe the mileage allows the suspension to settle and break in some and that bit of sag is enough to make a difference too.

The aero package - not enough downforce being generated, and ride height, is likely a big factor in the wind stability... and I suspect, windy in flatter terrain is probably not nearly as bad as when there are rolling hills/mountains where there's more possiblilty of wind blowing in a way to as to actually push/lift the car.

Just my two cents... in many ways its a great car... but the highway manners in stock form leaves something to be desired. But maybe, it will settle some and I do plan to ditch the stock tires at some point.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 PM
The Fit, in my opinion, feels fine on the highways. I have driven lots of different cars and my side car is a BMW and I don't think the Fit has any problems on the highways. The wind thing happens on all cars, just a bit more noticeable on the Fit because of how tall it is and how light it is.

The SX4's not bad, I was considering it but decided against it because of the fuel economy and the same size gas tank (10.8 gallons). Kind of small since it's only rated a bit below 30 mpg, which means the best you can get ia probably 300 miles before fuel up. The SX4 is about 3400 lbs though.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 AM
5 Year Member
Neteng, do you have the Bridgestones? Most people here I think have those. I have the Dunlops. All reviews of the Fit had the Bridgestones.

As for the RSX stock Michelins...my girlfriend bought the same exact car and I even drove hers and hers did not have the same ridiculous susceptibility to highway crosswinds. Yet more clues that there must be some factor dictating the problem.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
I've got Bridgestones. And the RSX... it wasn't crosswinds, the stock Michelin tires were just never great, really bad when roads were wet.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
I keep hearing about how the Fit is so unstable at highway speeds, and I have to say I don't agree, at least for the version we get. I think a lot comes down to suspension settings and tyre choices, but also the USDM Fit has the extended nose to meet pedestrian safety regs or something. It looks like the wind tunnel testing was done on the World version and the USDM extended nose was created without sufficient further wind tunnel testing.

I have had no issues at all with stability, except in really bad cross winds.

It's possibly also true that the quick steering Fit has perhaps less "sneeze factor" in the steering than most US drivers are used to.

Quick Reply: Fit vs. Suzuki SX4 on Edmund's Long Term