2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The More I Drive This Car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
dgs
The More I Drive This Car...

The more I appreciate what a great little car it is. The suspension tuning is fantastic. Honda has a tendency to make their suspensions overly stiff and it's usually too much for most people not expecting it. However with the Fit I find the suspension does a great job over bumps by not beating you up, but still has great handling. I'm completely impressed with how low wind and road noise is in this "economy" car. I love the amazing visibility, and the incredible versatility with the magic seats. I love the fact that my gas mileage average since I purchased the car has been 37.7 mpg no matter what kind of driving I do, and even if the A/C is on. Yes, I still wish it came with a sunroof, I still wish it had a 6th gear to quiet the revs on the highway, I still wish it had rear disk breaks, and I still wish it had an outside temperature gauge. But even without those things it's still an amazing little car.

It reminds me of the time I was working as a valet back in 1992. I was valeting at a very well to do restaurant so every night I got to drive top of the line cars at the time; Jags, BMW's, Mercedes, Porsche's, Saab's, and even the high end American cars. But I remember one night a younger guy pulled up with a Civic hatch. It had no modifications and I remember thinking "I've never driven one of these." I took his key and went to park the car and was blown away. I could not believe how smooth everything worked in that little car. The shifter was so fluid, gliding through the gates, the clutch had the perfect weight and engagement point, the steering was direct and communicative, the ergonomics were amazing, with everything within arms reach, and it was so light and tossable compared to all the land yachts I had been driving. Point blank, in spite of all the luxury cars I had driven, I decided that Civic was the best of all the cars I had driven.

That was my first introduction into the world of Honda. The Fit really reminds me of that experience, it embodies everything about the early days of Honda. Honda still makes fantastic cars, but they have all gotten bigger and heavier, an unfortunate result of technology and changing tastes. But the Fit is what Honda is all about, and it's what made them famous in this country. If you can't tell, I love the little car. Thanks for reading!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nice writeup.

Cheers.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the positive...love mine too

Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
you sir, just put a smile on this tired face

14 hour work days just beats you down somehow.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
The fit does not remind me of anything. Each time I get in it, I think "so this is what the future is like?"

Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
I stayed at an upscale hotel on Saturday night, and had to leave my car with the valet. When I picked it up on Sunday morning, the valet handed me the key and said he thought it was a pretty sweet little car. I smiled and agreed and went on my way. I could have gone on and on about the car's virtues, but I was in a hurry to get my morning Dunkin.

Later that day, I picked up a piece of furniture from my grandmother's house - it fit just fine and I got 40 mpg on the drive back to DC. What a great car!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree 100%

Very nice write up. Power is fun too though

Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Thumbs up Same here!

I could relate to your story, but from a different generation . . .

I've had a similar introduction to Hondas and I have to agree.

Despite a few deficiencies that we all complain about (more power, quieter, more features, etc.), Honda really does get it right with most of their cars.

Besides being well-built, efficient cars with good engineering, Hondas are fun to drive and own. Many drivers form an emotional connection to their Hondas. Heck, I find it amusing that (instead of the 'best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup') I look forward to driving anywhere in my Fit.

My Fit is like an eager smiling puppy that is panting breathlessly, "Please drive me! Let's go somewhere!" That may be exaggerating it a bit, but I do look forward to driving it every day.

I finished college in '80 and it was then that I first saw or rode in friends' Hondas and realized it was the kind of car I liked. I remember several friends (and a college professor) who drove the '78/'79 'CVCC' Accord or Civic hatchbacks. I was immediately impressed by how well they were made, and how fun they were to drive. Compared to domestic models at the time (Ford Pinto, Chevy Vega -- yuck!) these were cars from the future!

During my first job out of college, I really wanted to get a new Civic. But unfortunately couldn't qualify for the financing so I had to settle for a Nissan Sentra. I figured that it was a Japanese car so be happy with it. It was not fun to drive or reliable. Early on I had problems with a cracked head gasket and rattling exhaust shields that made me hate the car. Then in cold weather it had problems starting and rarely ran smoothly even after warming up. The shifter (m/t) was notchy and balked no matter what gear you shifted to.

After 2.5 years of suffering with that car I traded it in on my first Honda Civic. It was an '85 Civic 1500S m/t. To me, it was a nice-looking car and more importantly was really fun to drive. That was my first Honda and is one of the reasons that I like the Fit. Many people have said that the Fit reminds them of the 'old school Civics', and I think this is true. The similarities to that Civic were striking:
  • 1.5 4 cylinder engine
  • Same length
  • Same wheelbase
  • Somewhat similar 'Magic Seat'
  • Same Honda personality: free-revving engine, silky smooth 5-speed shifter and great handling characteristics

Back then, Honda Civics were stripped and you had to add any options you wanted: radio, A/C and that was about it. Fog lights, remote entry, airbags? -- not invented yet. Power windows, locks, mirrors? -- Only on cars about 5x the price! There was 1 thing I added. A 'Rear tonneau cover' which is now called a cargo cover. Over $100 and I had to install it myself.

I will say this about the car -- it had the same 'fun to drive' quality that the current Fit has. Everything works, the way it should. Every time a friend rode in my Civic or (luckily) drove it, they made a comment like 'Man! This is a nice car!'

Today at lunchtime a co-worker rode with me in my Fit, and made several comments about it that it was well-designed, comfortable, peppy, and sporty and he wished he 'got the kind of gas mileage I did'. This is from someone who drives a BMW and a Lexus! Anyway, his comments today brought back memories of my Honda experience and this rambling. Thanks for listening.

I really hope that Honda never loses sight of the earlier cars they made, and the kind of car the Fit is!

Last edited by jrlnc; 04-29-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I like driving mine, I just got home from going out for a hamburger.... It was an eighty mile round trip and included 45 M.P.H. S curves taken at over 80. My wife thought it was quite pleasurable.... We will both soon be sixty years old and are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our Kraftwerks super charger kit.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
i love college
you guys couldnt have said any of this better

Old 04-29-2009, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
great post, i am loving the car more and more everyday (and dropping too much $$$ into the car). So much that I am completely neglecting the bike. It's been out only twice this season. I used to ride my bike everywhere (this was before I bought the car). I was planning to use the bike more during summer time and really use the fit only on rainy / snow days. I'm sure when the temp picks up I'll ride the bike more often.

But the Fit is just too fun to stay away

Old 04-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Thumbs up Nice bike!

Originally Posted by panda1314
great post, i am loving the car more and more everyday (and dropping too much $$$ into the car). So much that I am completely neglecting the bike. It's been out only twice this season. I used to ride my bike everywhere (this was before I bought the car). I was planning to use the bike more during summer time and really use the fit only on rainy / snow days. I'm sure when the temp picks up I'll ride the bike more often.

But the Fit is just too fun to stay away
Is that a Yamaha? Sorry if I got it wrong. I haven't owned/ridden bikes for years.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
thanks! it is not a yamaha, its actually a kawasaki ninja250. I like to think of it as the Honda Fit for bikes. Small Displacement, Lightweight, Agile, Looks good, Awesome Handling and extremely fun to drive. and SOOOO cheap on gas.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh man, my friend has the same bike but in red and black color scheme. But this post was awesome. I also compared the fit to the EG civic.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrlnc
Besides being well-built, efficient cars with good engineering, Hondas are fun to drive and own. Many drivers form an emotional connection to their Hondas. Heck, I find it amusing that (instead of the 'best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup') I look forward to driving anywhere in my Fit.

My Fit is like an eager smiling puppy that is panting breathlessly, "Please drive me! Let's go somewhere!" That may be exaggerating it a bit, but I do look forward to driving it every day.

I really hope that Honda never loses sight of the earlier cars they made, and the kind of car the Fit is!................
I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I like driving mine, I just got home from going out for a hamburger.... It was an eighty mile round trip and included 45 M.P.H. S curves taken at over 80.

80 miles for a hamburger!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Very well said.
Honda can stop making proper sports cars (goodbye S2000 and V10-powered NSX *sob*), but if they can inject the same kind of soul, verve and personality into meager runabouts like the Fit/Jazz, it wouldn't be too bad a loss.

I'm really hoping the Fit/Jazz doesn't "grow up" and become as diluted in its mechanical appeal as, say, a Civic. Just my two cents, but I think the FA/FD/FG Civics have lost a lot of their original charm and gained a lot of slop and weight compared to the EFs, EGs and EKs. I really don't want that "growth" happening to our beloved hamsters.

Last edited by Type 100; 04-30-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM
same here.

I have the same feelings.

My wife's and my first Honda was an 88 Civic. We bought it from a friend of her mother's who had bought it, and then had it shipped to Turkey when her husband was transferred there for work. We bought it when it came out of quarantine after they had it shipped back.

It was the BASE model. 4 speed manual, no stereo, not even a cig lighter. Only fancy thing was an after market sun roof. I put a stereo in it.

We loved that car and passed it around, loaning it to family when an extra car was needed. I hated to see it go. I could fix anything on that car. Starter? 15 minutes and a wrench. CV joints? Sure, give me an hour. It was just awesome. Peppy, fun to drive. It was loud on the highway but it got great gas mileage.

When Honda announced the Fit for US release I immediately started dreaming. It looked like the perfect car for me. I NEED 4 doors, I WANT a hatch, I'm tall so I need headroom. And I want great gas mileage with decent pickup that's fun to drive. We have kids and are active so we need room for bikes, hiking gear, stroller.... oh, and a kid or two.

We test drove a friend's 87 Fit for a weekend and as soon as we got in we both thought of our civic.

We just got our 09 Fit sport and it really is everything I wanted. Now we fight over who gets to drive the Fit and who has to take the CR-V (which isn't a big downside and is the perfect match vehicle for a small family in the northeast.)

Drove up to a bike race a couple weekends ago. Parked next to another Fit (with a few more in sight) and got out to a smiling Fit owner telling her parents "See, it really is the perfect car for our lifestyle."

But I'm preaching to the choir here.

Last edited by sh3rp4; 04-30-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
For the price it's the best car out there for sure.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Good write up, thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: The More I Drive This Car...