2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The More I Drive This Car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
personally i think honda couldve done a better job on the spring rate (it's over sprung) but overall my wife's not complaining other than the seating position (2nd gen) so its good.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sh3rp4

We test drove a friend's 87 Fit for a weekend and as soon as we got in we both thought of our civic.
I didn't know they made Fits in '87.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
doh!!!

still not used to this whole 00 thing. when i was young we had proper years, that started with proper numbers, like 7 or 8 or 9.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Great posts, all well said and I agree 100%. I have owned just about every make car but must say (except for the BMW330ci I had 2 cars ago) this '09 SSM Sport M/T is the most fun to drive. Unlike the BMW, this car is actually crazy practical too, and way better on gas. This is my first Honda except for the 1993 VFR750 bike I just sold (that believe it or not still had the original battery) and that bike after 16k miles never needed anything other than a oil change and gas. Honda makes awesome products, and so far their cars too are great. I also agree about the Civic. I had test driven one of them last year and liked the Civic coupe, but didnt love it. The first 3 minutes test driving the Fit, and my wife and I looked at each other and said "sold". 4k miles later, I love it more than ever, and am averaging 38mpg mixed driving.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by SanDan
The fit does not remind me of anything. Each time I get in it, I think "so this is what the future is like?"
Michael J. Fox skateboarding 20 feet above ground is what the future is like!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Though I share sentiments with a lot of you on love for this car, the only thing that ruins the experience for me is the ******* rattles and noises inside the car!

I may have 1 noise fixed, but soon another will appear. I pretty much accepted that this car will soon be infested with noises that it's hopeless to try and find/fix each one. Eventually it'll have so many rattles that it doesn't matter anymore and I'll just accept it.

Tough love.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Weird, I drive on crappy NH roads, and even live on a dirt road, and my '09 sport has not gotten any rattles. I do get a squeak from the glove box latch while I drive, but once i spray a little WD40 in there it will be gone.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Well it gets more rattly as the miles roll on. I currently have close to 10,000. I bought my car last August.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Exclamation None any more!

I have over 9,000 miles and the only rattle I had is now fixed.

It turned out to be the iPod cable! Wrapped it up and noise is gone!

I drive with the tires at 40 psi, so I do have some harsh bumps but nothing has become rattly yet. I hope your is not a sign of things to come.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:37 PM
I've got about 4,000 miles, and run the tires at 45. I'm with you jrlnc - hope rattles aren't coming

Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Type 100
Very well said.
Honda can stop making proper sports cars (goodbye S2000 and V10-powered NSX *sob*), but if they can inject the same kind of soul, verve and personality into meager runabouts like the Fit/Jazz, it wouldn't be too bad a loss.

I'm really hoping the Fit/Jazz doesn't "grow up" and become as diluted in its mechanical appeal as, say, a Civic. Just my two cents, but I think the FA/FD/FG Civics have lost a lot of their original charm and gained a lot of slop and weight compared to the EFs, EGs and EKs. I really don't want that "growth" happening to our beloved hamsters.
5th generation fit should have its i changed to a.

No way does a fit replace a sports car. It would be awsome if honda built a RWD car similar to the fit with a 1.5L turbo... for 20k.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
My first car was a '79 Prelude. I've driven, owned, and autocrossed with many different cars, but I'll always have a real preference for Hondas. Between us, my wife and I have had 9 different Hondas/Acuras. I think the Fit is most like a cross between the Honda 600 hatchback and a first-generation CRX. I've had my Fit for 2 months and 1500 miles so far, and I am still amazed at how much fun it is to drive.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Very well put, my friend. This is my first Honda, but I've always been a fanboy. My Dad has been a devout NSX disciple since it has been on the market. He's had 3 over the past ten years and I had the chance to drive his most recent one, an 03. It was beyond an amazing car.

To here, I come from the turbo Subaru scene, which means gobs of power and AWD, and I think I actually enjoy my little Fit day to day more than I did my 18psi, 300wtq wrx. It really does handle beautifully for what it is, which makes it a blast when the road gets twisty. Its dead nuts reliable (Its a Honda) and it has all the features you could ever really need (or want, really) without anything excessive. The stereo is impressive stock, it has a USB interface for my iPod, the gauge cluster is AWESOME, and it has that awesome steering wheel that should probably be standard for the entire automotive industry. It just feels like something out of a 50,000.00 car. Not to mention I get 35mpg in city traffic and it costs 18 dollars to fill up.

Plus the overall experience of owning a Honda is unsurpassed in its price range. My local service department (Gwinnett Place Honda) is awesome. The staff are awesome, its beautiful facility, very comfy waiting room, pretty awesome parts department, free coffee, and a complimentary drive through car wash on the dealership grounds. Also, they have great prices on HFP hats. I seriously rolled in there the other day without an appointment for an oil change and a tire rotation. The service guy gave me a coupon price for the oil change without me even asking, and got me out of there in under a half hour...and they were visibly busy. While I love my old Subie service guys, they didn't take care of me like that and the environment was not as VIPish. Its like Honda wants you to know that they appreciate you choosing to drive one of their cars, regardless of how new it is (88 civic came in behind me and got the exact same treatment).

It also seems like Honda subscribes to the radical notion that just because a car is economical doesn't mean it shouldn't benefit from their extensive motorsports research and be fun to drive. I guarantee you a Chevy Aveo does not see any improvements based on Chevy's racing programs. Honda's racing knowledge trickles all the way down their least expensive economy car, ours, which makes them a blast to drive and surprisingly quick (even stock) when driven by the right person. It just rules.

I even sat in a Civic SI when getting my car serviced and the first through through my head was: "Damn. Who needs a 911 when this is 1/4 the price?" The seating position was awesome, everything fell to hand like a race car. I didn't get a chance to drive it but I know they're quick.

Ever see a Hyundai Accent go around a track? Its hilarious.

Last edited by the_fit_is_g0; 05-01-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:28 PM
the fit is the rabbit ressurrected.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
the fit is the rabbit ressurrected.
With much better reliability, sophistication, fit and finish, quality, resale, safety, and feature content of course.

...but with the same amount of rattles.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Agreed. My Fit is my first Honda, and it is great. I've had it just over a month, and I've already used it to move two enormous pieces of furniture. There was no way I could have moved the pieces without this car. The mileage is fantastic, the ride is tight, and the noise isn't as bad as some say.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 AM
dgs
Hey thanks for all of you posting and sharing your Honda/Fit stories. I know considering yourself a "Honda Fanboy" is seen as a negative in some circles, I unabashedly consider myself one. Honda is an amazing company, consistently putting out fuel efficient, safe, fun to drive, reliable, and ergonomically correct vehicles. They are one of very few companies who resisted the urge to jump on the truck/SUV bandwagon of the 90's and 00's and stuck to their guns. Even when gas prices were cheap in the 90's Honda's emphasis was still on fuel economy, because they actually care about the enviornment and the planet we humans inhabit.

Now with truck/SUV sales tanking Honda should be seen as a visionary. Unlike so many auto manufactures who are suffering because of their poor decisions to make a quick buck without a thought or care for the future, Honda is still doing well. And unlike so many auto manufactures who now have to completely revamp their entire portfolio to include small, fuel efficient vehicles and cutting the trucks/SUV (or severly limiting their manufacturing numbers) Honda doesn't have to do a damn thing. They don't have to retool any of their factories, they don't have to scramble to import fuel efficient cars from Europe, they don't have to close factories left and right, and they don't have to suck on the Government's tit to survive. They were well prepared for these events.

Yes, so I have no problem considering myself a Honda fanboy. They are a model business. They put just as much care and engineering into their smallest, least expensive vehicle/s as their largest, most expensive vehicle/s. When you buy a Honda you buy a quality automobile, no matter which model you purchase. I'm a Honda owner for life, and will most likely own nothing else. I hope someday when I'm ready to get a new car they have a RWD in their portfolio, but I'm sure there will still be plenty of fantastic Honda's/Acura's to choose from. That will be a long time from now however, because I plan on driving my Fit for as long as the car will run, and since it's a Honda that means a really long time.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Well put everyone. Good stuff.
The More I Drive This Car... I end up taking the longer way to home much more. Now its getting longer to get home, but enjoying every minute of it.