2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Moving to California - Need Advice on Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Moving to California - Need Advice on Emissions

We're moving our 2009 Fit Sport and 2008 Element LX to California next month.

Since both have less than 7500 miles they are considered 'new' cars and must be 50-state certified.

I called the DMV and they said there should be a 50-state sticker or California Emissions sticker under the hood. There is not. There is a sticker with C.A.R.B. Certified and I think LEV II or III. But that's all under the emissions area of the sticker.

So I called the Honda dealer in Sunnyvale (nice place) and the guy I talked to said all new Honda's are 50-state compliant and said we can each use our sale sheets with the VIN/Equipment info as it says 50-state emissions. We both have these.

It seems like the DMV is hung up on this hood sticker, and the dealer even said they just don't use those anymore. C.A.R.B. Certified is the same thing (California Air Resources Board) and the DMV should know that.

The DMV didn't seem to know what C.A.R.B. Certified meant on the phone.

Any advice? I think I'll just take my sale sheet, print-outs of C.A.R.B. info and show them the stickers, etc. Don't know what else to do at this point!

But I am sure the Fit (and Element) are 50-state emissions - our sale sheets say it, even.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
Eventually you'll find someone at the DMV who knows how to deal with it properly.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
CARB stickers are for aftermarket parts that have have been tested for emissions by the company that manufactured it. Most of the big name brand companies are CARB compliant. police usually check the intake, header, and exhaust systems for CARB stickers. I would suggest to keep your out-of-state registrations as the price of yearly registration and bi-annual SMOG inspections can be costly.

here are some references:
Where to get a CARB legal sticker | Editorials Blog at Modified Magazine
Welcome to the California Air Resources Board

Old 04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Just drive it here and go to the DMV. They'll inspect your car real quick and give you a pass.

I drove my 02 Civic here from Texas and registration was a breeze. Long story short, they forgot to charge me for a chunk of the fees so all I paid was $70 total to register my car in Cali

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks!

Guess I'll just haul in all my paperwork and it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
JGW
Don't move here!! LOL

Seriously, you should be fine, but be advised the California DMV should be renamed 'Morons R Us'.

Like mentioned above, you'll eventually get passed to someone that knows what is going on.

Welcome to the land of high taxes and outrageous license plate fees.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
JGW is probably right. However it depend on where in California you are moving to. Many air districts do not have annual or biannual smog testing. My county does not. But any car purchased out of state and all used car transfers will most likely have to be smog checked when registered. I purchased a brand new Honda in Oregon (i'm a CA resident) drove it across the border and had to have it smog check to register it in CA. My new fit was purchased in CA and was smog checked by the CA dealer and was not charged for it.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhonvilliams
My family and I moved through AVL Moving Systems. We had a very pleasant experience with them from beginning to end. They did a perfect job, from the packing and loading to the unloading. They were professional and courteous and we will be advising anyone we know moving in the future that AVL Moving Systems is wonderful. AVL Moving Systems , winvanlines moving
lol...way to address the topic.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JGW

ha!...you guys have it easy try moving to Canada

Old 11-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by JGW
Seriously, you should be fine, but be advised the California DMV should be renamed 'Morons R Us'.
(snip)
The DMV here in Monterey (Seaside, actually) isn't bad at all, as far as DMVs go. I've been in there three times. Each time, the lines have been fast moving, and the clerks friendly and helpful. Maybe they're not used to people being friendly to them (I am from the South). Last time I got caught up in a conversation about good German food. The time before that, they waived the late fees on the renewal notice (my tax expired less than a year after I bought the motorcycle, because the cycle is apparently based on when the previous owner first registered it, not when you bought it, or your birth month)

Originally Posted by Super Mario
You shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. Just drive it here and go to the DMV. They'll inspect your car real quick and give you a pass.

I drove my 02 Civic here from Texas and registration was a breeze. Long story short, they forgot to charge me for a chunk of the fees so all I paid was $70 total to register my car in Cali
I think I paid the same, since they can't legally charge me the license fee. $70 would be good for two years in FL... I may switch it next time.

Originally Posted by lemonkey
We're moving our 2009 Fit Sport and 2008 Element LX to California next month.

Since both have less than 7500 miles they are considered 'new' cars and must be 50-state certified.

I called the DMV and they said there should be a 50-state sticker or California Emissions sticker under the hood. There is not. There is a sticker with C.A.R.B. Certified and I think LEV II or III. But that's all under the emissions area of the sticker.

So I called the Honda dealer in Sunnyvale (nice place) and the guy I talked to said all new Honda's are 50-state compliant and said we can each use our sale sheets with the VIN/Equipment info as it says 50-state emissions. We both have these.

It seems like the DMV is hung up on this hood sticker, and the dealer even said they just don't use those anymore. C.A.R.B. Certified is the same thing (California Air Resources Board) and the DMV should know that.

The DMV didn't seem to know what C.A.R.B. Certified meant on the phone.

Any advice? I think I'll just take my sale sheet, print-outs of C.A.R.B. info and show them the stickers, etc. Don't know what else to do at this point!

But I am sure the Fit (and Element) are 50-state emissions - our sale sheets say it, even.
The Element is surely good... My '06 was, and I bought it in Nebraska.

Something to consider - if you trade in a car in most other states, and purchase a new car, you are only charged on the difference in the trade and new vehicle price. California charges you on the whole shebang, AND the sales tax is outrageous.

If you have any interest in purchasing a different car soon, do it before you leave TX, and make sure it is 50-state compliant:

Take a theoretical 20K car. lets say your trade is work 12K. In Texas, at 6.25% sales tax on the difference, our taxes would come up to $500. In Cali, it would be $1,650-2150 (8.25%-10.75% sales tax depending on locality - also note that the locality for sales tax on a vehicle is based on your residence, not the purchase location).

Yeah... no WAY I'm becoming a legal resident of this state - I'll keep my Florida residency, pay zero income tax*, pay cheap vehicle registration fees and vote in a swing state.
* state income tax, that is...

Old 11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Oli
Originally Posted by jhonvilliams
My family and I moved through AVL Moving Systems. We had a very pleasant experience with them from beginning to end. They did a perfect job, from the packing and loading to the unloading. They were professional and courteous and we will be advising anyone we know moving in the future that AVL Moving Systems is wonderful. AVL Moving Systems , winvanlines moving

Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 AM
5 Year Member
Just make sure to make an appointment

Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I feel for you. Dealing with the DMV here in California is pretty bad.

I've always wondered how the DMV could interview new employees and still get the lowest, most uncaring and inconsiderate individuals in the state.
Then it a occurred to me that who in their right mind would apply at the DMV.

Hopefully dealing with the DMV is only done on rare occasions, hang in there.

Welcome to California the land on Fruits, Nuts and Flakes.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Yeah... no WAY I'm becoming a legal resident of this state - I'll keep my Florida residency, pay zero income tax*, pay cheap vehicle registration fees and vote in a swing state.
* state income tax, that is...
Just don't get a ticket, of any kind, parking, moving, anything related to your vehicle. You have a short period of time to register your car in CA when you moved to CA. If you are living here in the state of California, moving here, or just recently moved, you have to do this, and your car must be registered here.

So just hope you never get stopped, because you'll have 20 days to register properly and legally, or the next time you get rolled, you risk impoundment of your vehicle. If you've already gotten a ticket, they know the date, and if your car has been here for a period of time longer that that allowed by law, the officer will see that and take further action.

California DMV HTVR9 How To Register A Out of State Vehicle Nonresident Vehicle

California DMV HTVR9 How To Register A Out of State Vehicle Nonresident Vehicle

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Koala Yummies
Just don't get a ticket, of any kind... and your car must be registered here....So just hope you never get stopped...the officer will see that and take further action..
You must work for the CA DMV.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM
"Yeah... no WAY I'm becoming a legal resident of this state - I'll keep my Florida residency, pay zero income tax*, pay cheap vehicle registration fees and vote in a swing state.
* state income tax, that is..."

That's OK. California is used to supporting red states...

Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by dannydonqui
"Yeah... no WAY I'm becoming a legal resident of this state - I'll keep my Florida residency, pay zero income tax*, pay cheap vehicle registration fees and vote in a swing state.

...and why not? You support half the population of Mexico.

Flea

Old 12-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by dannydonqui

Sorry, I already pay one income tax. I'm not going to pay two just to make you feel better... especially when doing so would require me to falsely claim an intention to do more than temporarily reside here.

Besides, I love the confused look when I pull out a Florida license with a California address.