2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Acceleration on Fit Sport 09 Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Acceleration on Fit Sport 09 Automatic

My Fit Sport 09 Auto has almost three months and 700 miles on it. I'm currently living in LA and used to drive an 07 Fit with Automatic CVT in Buenos Aires.

I noticed that whenever I try to go up hill or accelerate with the new Fit, it's terrible to say the least. Every other car zooms past me and I have to floor the accelerator to get it to move faster. Even then, the response is extremely slow.

Is something wrong with my car?

The only other car that was this bad with acceleration was the Suzuki SX4 I once rented.

Thanks,
Ralph

Old 04-19-2009, 02:57 PM
It's a 98 HP car.......what were you expecting? I don't think nothing is wrong with the car. It's just surrounding factors more than so the performance of the car.

The Fit is what it is.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, but even then the performance is much worse than the 07 CVT Fit I drove in Buenos Aires. That one would accelerate really fast, leaving all other cars behind. With the new one, it's the opposite story.

Is it OK if I'm constantly flooring the accelerator just to get it to speed up? I can't help but feel that I'm breaking the car this way. (The really loud engine noise makes me uncomfortable).

I did not have this problem with my 07 Fit.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1FiTpINOY
It's a 98 HP car.......what were you expecting? I don't think nothing is wrong with the car. It's just surrounding factors more than so the performance of the car.

The Fit is what it is.
...umm 98? i think u mean 117 hp.

The car is slow either way, i just downshift via paddle shifters from 5th to 3rd for more power up hills.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by tdesi420

The car is slow either way, i just downshift via paddle shifters from 5th to 3rd for more power up hills.
It's much different on the road then on a test machine.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, CVT. That's the good stuff! No shift shock.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Try to anticipate the hills a bit; speed up to build momentum before the hill.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
ralphch, sounds like something's wrong with your car. If anything, the GE auto is not only quicker but has a broader torque curve than the GD.

Maybe go to the dealer and compare with another AT and have the service dept. compare as well.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Originally Posted by tdesi420

No hes right. 98hp gets to the wheels, the rest is loss getting the drivetrain to move. Its called wheel horsepower. Either way automatics will always be slower, and so will the response.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
Either way automatics will always be slower, and so will the response.
They don't have to be if you use the paddles.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
They don't have to be if you use the paddles.

most automatics will be slower because of the gearing. 1st-3rd gear in most honda's are really long and 5th and 6th are shorter

Old 04-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by ralphch
Yeah, but even then the performance is much worse than the 07 CVT Fit I drove in Buenos Aires. That one would accelerate really fast, leaving all other cars behind. With the new one, it's the opposite story.

Is it OK if I'm constantly flooring the accelerator just to get it to speed up? I can't help but feel that I'm breaking the car this way. (The really loud engine noise makes me uncomfortable).

I did not have this problem with my 07 Fit.
Yeah, I don't know about leaving all the other cars behind part, but I haven't had the issue that you are describing from you post and I came from a car with 307 whp and 4.30's in the rear. Maybe it's because I'm not expecting my Fit to be a rocket, lol. I have a 09 with the AT as well and it climbs hills fine. You may want to get it checked if it is as bad as you decribed.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ralphch
My Fit Sport 09 Auto has almost three months and 700 miles on it. I'm currently living in LA and used to drive an 07 Fit with Automatic CVT in Buenos Aires.

I noticed that whenever I try to go up hill or accelerate with the new Fit, it's terrible to say the least. Every other car zooms past me and I have to floor the accelerator to get it to move faster. Even then, the response is extremely slow.

Is something wrong with my car?

The only other car that was this bad with acceleration was the Suzuki SX4 I once rented.

Thanks,
Ralph

By comparison the CVT auto is vastly better than the US model. But the there is supposed to be a 'gradient' control that unmarked downshifts to help.
And if you're ending up in 3rd the gear ratio is too high, meaning it has no excess torque to accelerate. Its all it can do to 'hold on'.
Perhaps one of these days Honda will get a CVT in the USA, as disc brakes rear, but I guess we rate last on the Honda list.
Rent a Versa CVT and see if it performs like your Argentine Fit. i'd be curious about your comparison.
Good luck.

PS have any friends in Buenos Aires we can use to get our hands on a Fit CVT transmission? Engine with ECU?

Last edited by mahout; 04-20-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:00 PM
In order to produce power and torque in a Honda engine, you need to rev it higher than most other engines. If the Fit Sport automatic didn't allow you to downshift I would definitely say the car is underpowered, but as it is, revving the car is fine. Sustained driving at high rpms creates more wear in engines, but if you're just going up a short hill like the Sepulveda pass it's no big deal.

You could always fit a giant fartcan exhaust and make the engine sound "better".

Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
There's nothing wrong with your car. It only has 117 at the crank and at your wheels it's even less. I have an '07 Fit Sport Auto with 109 HP at the crank. After looking at Dyno's for this setup, the auto got 80 HP at the wheels whereas the Manual got 92 HP at the wheels.

109HP - 80WHP - Auto
109HP - 92WHP - Manual

With the Auto it was a 27% power loss after going through the tranny which is A LOT. The manual at 92 your only looking at 16% drive loss. This is why it pays to have a Manual.

Just downshift going up hills, you'll be fine, as long as your not flooring it everywhere. It;s a Honda motor and the engineers expect it to be driven this way.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
try a smaller profile tire too to change the gearing a little. it can help.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:44 AM
I have a 5AT Sport also and I always use M mode and shift manually. Going through hills ain't that bad, but downshifting with the paddles is a must. Freeway driving on long incline/hills feels like slow motion because that's when I get left behind and cars starts passing me like nothing.

If your still not satisfied like me, then you should trade it in for something faster. I plan to trade mine in by the end of the year.

Last edited by OEMfit; 04-21-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:04 AM
I installed the PRM intake and find a very noticeable difference.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
I had the same problem when I test drive my buddy's GE when he was planning to buy a AT. The engine rattles a lot and hardly accelerates compare to a GD. At the end, my buddy got a MT and it has much better response.

I also get the privilage to drive a GE (AT) in Japan and here they use 1.3L Engines.. so technically its even worst than the USDM Models. What I found out is that if you accelerate using L and then jump to S when you hit around 40KPH (25MPH), you will virtually have no power lost and the acceleration is soo much better.

Same when you go uphill, keep the Tranny on S instead of D, that should solve the problem - unless of cos u have paddle shifters then keep it at Gear 3 (M3).

The major difference between the GD and the GE is the i-Vtec. i-Vtec is not designed to give more power, its more towards economical imo. Its also much quieter too compare to GD engines.

Thats what I've experienced from Driving a GE in Japan... and I own a turboed GD back home =). But like someone mentioned on forum - the fit is not designed to go fast, its designed to be fuel-efficient and versatile. If you want more power, you should of go for a Civic or an Accord.

Last edited by Guinness; 04-21-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
I miss the regular VTEC setup and hearing it scream to redline. I don't like I-VTEC at all.

Quick Reply: Acceleration on Fit Sport 09 Automatic