2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 fit oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
2009 fit oil consumption

Hey Guys,
I bout a new 2009 fit in October and I got my first oil change done at 14000km and noticed that itwas down more than a litre of oil. So I had honda look for leaks, and they couldn't find any. So I have the oil changed and 2500km after the oil change my fit is down a half litre of oil! Now I know what you're goingto say, i drive it too hard, but I don't. I needthis car to last for 10-15 years so I"m driving it like an old lady plus I do a lot of highway driving. So I wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem too? It really sucks cause I wanted to avoid oil consumption issues by buying brand new.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
thats a lot of oil missing for only 2500km...

i just did my first oil change... i'll report back on how much came out.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks Mole177

Old 04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
i had my oil changed at 50% life remaining, roughly 9500km, and i was down a half litre also. i think honda needs to rethink break in on a 1.5 litre engine--initial oil change around 7500km seems about right. I also drive very moderately and will be watching fluids very closely. On an unrelated note???? I also experience lots of engine fan actuation, way more than I would have expected over the winter months. Anyone else?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
^when you use your defrost, the compressor turns on, which then leads into the engine fan to turn on.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:10 PM
@ mole: I rarely use defrost on its own, mostly with the floor vent. i assumed this kept the compressor off!! Would anyone care to clarify? I pretty much use defrost/floor vent as a default setting,because of ths size of the windshield. Not cool.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by silverfitfreak
Hey Guys,
I bout a new 2009 fit in October and I got my first oil change done at 14000km and noticed that itwas down more than a litre of oil. So I had honda look for leaks, and they couldn't find any. So I have the oil changed and 2500km after the oil change my fit is down a half litre of oil! Now I know what you're goingto say, i drive it too hard, but I don't. I needthis car to last for 10-15 years so I"m driving it like an old lady plus I do a lot of highway driving. So I wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem too? It really sucks cause I wanted to avoid oil consumption issues by buying brand new.
So long as it doesn't fall out of what Honda determines to be acceptable, just keep an eye on it.

In my opinion though, part of the problem is that you baby it and do only highway. When I worked at a BMW motorcycle dealership, the only bikes that burned oil were the ones that were babied.

Not to say that you should abuse your car, but remember that once everything is warm, no harm will be done to you motor by running it throughout its rev range. Your fuel efficiency may drop, but it is good for a motor to get some trips to higher RPMs and heavier loads, the pressure can clear deposits from the combustion chamber as well as help mate the piston rings properly against the cylinder walls.

Broke my car in by being easy on it till everything was up to temp, and then driving normally, and even enjoying it. It saw redline on the way home from the dealership even. Changed the oil at a 1000 miles to clear any debris from break in and manufacturing, and will do so again at 3000 (which is very soon). Then after that oil changes will adhere to a normal schedule. My car pulls stoutly, doesn't burn oil, and I now average some 34-36mpg mixed driving (40%city, 60% highway), even with a daily, morning, full throttle accelleration through the first 2 gears to merge with the freeway.

Last edited by pilosopo; 04-14-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ladboy
@ mole: I rarely use defrost on its own, mostly with the floor vent. i assumed this kept the compressor off!! Would anyone care to clarify? I pretty much use defrost/floor vent as a default setting,because of ths size of the windshield. Not cool.
The AC compressor will cycle in any defrost mode. That includes defrost/floor mode.

There is a connector that you can unplug that disables the "feature". Search the forums for how-to.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM
thanks virtual,

i have been wasting fuel for no reason. i will get right on that.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
My RSX Type S used oil when I ran the highway everyday (4000 rpm range), but if I ran it in the city it didn't use a drop. If you are running a lot of highway, espeically at 120 km/h and higher, I would suspect that is all it is. As others have said, monitor it closely and let us know, I am only on my second tank of gas so I can't really comment yet.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone noticed that you have to look very carefully at the dipstick on the Fit to get an accurate reading? If you simply glance at it you’ll only see the oil pooling near the bottom of the stick; the first time I looked I mistook this for a low-oil reading. But if you look very closely, holding the dipstick to reflect the light, you’ll see that the reading is much higher, well inside the acceptable range. I assume this is a result of the short dipstick (placing the pooled oil close to the bottom mark on the stick) and the clean, thin 5W20 oil.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by silverfitfreak
Hey Guys,

First, did you break the Fit like your manual says or did you drive right out as usual. You may be having delayed breakin of the rings. And are you using the right oil, not some lightweight version like 5W-10.
Second, a liter of oil per 14000 km (8694 mi)is well within specs. Half a liter in 1552 miles is a bit much but still within spec. Keep an eye on the oil level and see if oil consumption improves, if not see you dealer. But go report it to him now just so you'll have proof of notification under warranty.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
ok... just filled my used oil in a water jug... besides a 1/4 of a cup spilled on the floor, almost 1 full gallon ~3.6L were collected.

i put in 4 qrts ~3.8liters of oil.. recommended was 3.8 qrts ~3.6L

OP, you should go to the dealer, you may have a problem.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
So you noticed that it was down a liter after 14,000 kms?

Doesn't that mean that you didn't check the oil level until you reached that 14,000 kms?

Was it under the lower line on the dipstick?

Sounds like more attention to your new cars' maintenance is needed.

The half liter after 2500 kms could be that they didn't fill it enough when the oil change was done. The filter could have been unfilled when they checked the level. Starting the engine fills the filter and that shows as a drop of level on the dipstick.

Last edited by Virtual; 04-15-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
gwh
have had 2 oil changes put in 4 qt's, dip stick down from top.
some spec say 3.8 some say 4.4. for my 2009 sport the later appears to be right.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you guys are measuring while the engine is cold, correct? on a known flat surface.

never know...some folks get all nervous for nothing sometimes.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gwh
have had 2 oil changes put in 4 qt's, dip stick down from top.
some spec say 3.8 some say 4.4. for my 2009 sport the later appears to be right.

Where have you found a spec that says 4.4 qt.?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I've also noticed some oil consumption. When I first got my Jazz (34Km) the oil level was at about 2/3 on the dipstick. Now that I've done 3500Km I see the oil level has dropper to about 1/3. I mostly do freeway driving at an average speed of 120Km/h. I’m a bit concerned about this as I would not expect to have to top up my oil between services intervals (15000Km).

Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Random info I got from the web. Common to have oil loss during break-in. Should wait till oil loss stops, then one can switch to synthetic.

Can someone verify this?

Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SanDan
Random info I got from the web. Common to have oil loss during break-in. Should wait till oil loss stops, then one can switch to synthetic.

Can someone verify this?
I can verify that it is bollocks.

Sometimes, some engines will use a bit of oil during breakin and then stop. But it is not common and should not be thought of as such.

I have a GD with over 20,000 miles on it and it has yet to use a drop of oil.

Quick Reply: 2009 fit oil consumption