2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PRM Intake Dyno'ed

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by DrPhyzx
I'm pretty much the biggest skeptic ever, but seriously, where the line falls on the chart and the way the digits are rasterized there is no way you can tell between a 0 and an 8. More importantly, the rest of the chart looks reasonable, not just scaled up with a correction factor like most bogus dyno charts.

It's a stretch going from there to plunking $$$ down for something, but it's a believable chart.

Aight...I guess I was being a little anal..but in the past I seen people pull worse sh*t so I am a little skeptical with everything.

I still call for another pull and a more clear dyno

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 AM
If you're just swapping an intake, you're not going to see any effects at low engine speed (under 4K). Improved breathing only shows up at high airflow rates.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Aight...I guess I was being a little anal..but in the past I seen people pull worse sh*t so I am a little skeptical with everything.

I still call for another pull and a more clear dyno

Agreed. It would be nice to see a few more, and also down to 2K or so, where there should be no benefit (or even some loss).

Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting your dyno chart. It would have been nice of them to record the run at a lower RPM. My daily drive has the fit running anywhere between 2500-4000 RPM. Unless I'm passing or getting on the highway, I don't hit more than 4K.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Not the best dyno by far and Paul if he is still there helping to run things at splitifre has been dyoning cars since his civic was a 13 sec car (lol). Forsure they would normally shows the dyno startig early in the rpm range.

Oh well

maybe there is a lose down low, reason to not show that

Otherwise I was in toronto today and i called gerry and had no anser so i wasnt able to pick up mine

Thanks god I called b4 i got way down the 404 and 27 area :S:S

Old 04-15-2009, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
If paul was the head guy there (he was dark skin short hair im not sure what his background is) then yes he was actually the guy that was in the driver seat recording the runs. He asked if i wanted to drive but I wanted to take a video of the dyno process itself so I got him to take the driver seat for the dyno sessions.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
As your dyno charts proved, the new gold standard for after-market intakes is now >7whp!!!
but my intake's dyno was more than 7 or 8hp.

Name:  09-FIT-STOCK-VS-WR-COLD-AIR-B.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  66.1 KB

Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
Yes... and that chart displays the kind of attributes that make me skeptical.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
ya the weapon r was a entire other story lol :P

Either way, buy what intake you want and enjoy it!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
So we have an extremely exaggerated dyno... And a dyno that doesn't start till 4k and shows a 7wtq loss... Great.

Seems like people are making such a big deal over one or two ponys. If one intake makes 7whp and the other makes 4whp I promise you won't feel a difference between the two. If your main objective is power wait for a FI kit to come out.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by AP_ONE
ya the weapon r was a entire other story lol :P

Either way, buy what intake you want and enjoy it!

true stufffff

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
You're comparing a Dynojet to a Dynapack. Dynojets measure hp on the wheels, while Dynapacks measure hp at the hub. Of course both these numbers are relative only really to the dyno they were tested on, but IIRC, Dynojets tend to report more conseravtive numbers (And, while they make cross-car engine comparisons much more difficult in terms of different wheels/tires/brakes/etc, I feel they are more accurate to real world performance).

Also, I see @ the top of the chart "flywheel". Were they testing the hp@ the hub then "correcting" for what the operator felt was the @ flywheel HP?

Last edited by Epoch; 04-15-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I still dont see where the lose in the 7tq was unless this was pre 4000rpm where we do not see?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by AP_ONE
I still dont see where the lose in the 7tq was unless this was pre 4000rpm where we do not see?
People looked closely at the prior graph, and a line runs right through the 8, making it look like it could be either an 8 or a 0. If you look @ the graph lines, there isn't a loss in torque.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:27 PM
The line on the graph is higher but the numbers say his torque went down to 90 after the intake install. Still a very unclear result on the torque but the numbers say he lost.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:29 PM
The picture was blown up on the 1st page. Its clearly a 0. If both numbers were 98 they would be side by side on the graph, but they're not.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 PM
As said many times b4, I have been tuning cars for over 10 years and have done a lot of dyno work. ive even had the chance to dyno with paul where this dyno was done.

My dynos always started low on a base motor to show baseline and work with gains from there.

Also the number forsure is a 0 and not a 8, clear as day to see.

BUT

The actuall line it above showing a gain threwout so that is not clear from over 100 dynos Ive done, to why it would be lower recorded then base.

What we need is a different dyno. We know Gerry reads this but he has to chime in as or yet to let us know what he thinks?

This imo is how a proper dyno should look, mustang dyno with my s2k b4 and after tuing, you can see we started early 3000rpm for a car that revs easily till 9000.

//
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
The line on the graph is higher but the numbers say his torque went down to 90 after the intake install. Still a very unclear result on the torque but the numbers say he lost.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Alright, talked to a friend of mine that does performance work, I think I have an idea now on how to read a dyno.

It doesn't matter how the lines are matched up, what is more important is to look at the highest point of each line, which matches up to the numbers on the side. It indeed shows that PRM was able to achieve approximately 7 HP. As for the TQ, I believe it's just a little glitch/ coincidence that the number would be put on the line, so It may be in fact be an 8, but because the line is there, the pixelation just got a little messed up. I'm sure we all can agree that the same thing happens sometimes on our own desktops.

But back to the TQ, looking at the peak of both lines again, not necessarily directly on top of each other, but you can see that the intake was able to achieve approximately 1 lb. TQ.

One important thing my friend mentioned was that in a dyno, anything that shows within the range of +2 or -2 in HP and TQ, the margin is so small that it can be neglected. He made it a point that if he ran it more times, he would either hit +1 again or be lower. It's just how realistic it is. So in fact, the intake did not gain any TQ.

He mentioned that the reason for this was because our engine is so small, that the volume of PRM's intake won't bring any TQ at all.

I'm pretty happy that I learned how this works

But congrats to PRM for getting a good gain on HP. Maybe the cold air version will bring in some TQ

Last edited by 1FiTpINOY; 04-15-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Ahhh so they scraped the one that had the traditional shape of a cold air intake? I remember seeing videos about it.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 AM
For a couple of bills, what kinda of gains is everyone expecting?
Personally, i can feel the difference and sounds great.

Quick Reply: PRM Intake Dyno'ed