2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

RS*R vs. Tanabe DFs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
RS*R vs. Tanabe DFs??

Besides the price, What is the difference between the RS*R Ti spring and the Tanabe's DFs spring? I live in a area where potholes can swallow up a Fit, should I stay with the stock height? I also, can't decide what size wheels to go with the drop, if I do go with one. 16x7 or 17x7? What do you guys think?

Old 04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
difference between the two springs...? theres some threads on both of them already around... im kinda lazy to look for them for u so...
the search button works wonders

lots of potholes? i'd go with th 16s with larger sidewalls...

Old 04-10-2009, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I made a mistake by starting this in a new thread. But, the other post still did not answer as to what are the difference between the two besides the RS*R being stiff. There has to be more to it for people to choose one over the other besides the price difference, no?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Lots of differences. The amount of drop, the spring rate etc... There's about a 3 month wait for the RS R and they offer a mild drop and also a pretty agressive drop. I have tanabes and got mine in less than a week. I go on bumps and potholes regular speed and they feel just like stock except with a lot less body roll. Although I wish the front was lower. I love how the RS R super downs sit.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Choro-Q_Fit
Besides the price, What is the difference between the RS*R Ti spring and the Tanabe's DFs spring? I live in a area where potholes can swallow up a Fit, should I stay with the stock height? I also, can't decide what size wheels to go with the drop, if I do go with one. 16x7 or 17x7? What do you guys think?

Location of USA is not much to go on....makes it tough

But between Chicago and Milwaukee a lot of the roads are like a moonscape blasted by asteroids.

I got RSR Ti downs and forged wheels.....but I dodge the pot holes like an Obama appointee dodges paying taxes and I slow down for RR tracks too. Not too worried about the springs, just dont want to bend an expensive forged wheel.

So far no bottoming and the ride is close to stock.

If you are in a pot hole city I highly recommend 16" wheels (vs 17")
it is NO fun bending a wheel and the shorter the side wall on the tire, the more likely that is.
17's are fine if you got good roads but generally 17's are heavier (stock sport 16's are 18.57 lbs so going heavier than that will rob power!)

The big difference between Tanabe and RSR is the Tanabe go lower in the rear than the RSR (and the RSR could be a tad bit lower in the front).... lower rear is a good thing if you like the look which I do to a certain point. However with a passenger in the back or some cargo, it could look too low in the back (just my humble $.02 and personal preference and why after a lot of anguish I finally chose the RSR).
I like a slight rake + tail up helps to make an inherently understeering car more neutral + I carry cargo and/or passengers quite often.

Recently got my RSR's in about 10 days, didnt have any back order issue, additionally the RSR Titaniums are about a pound and a half lighter than stock but they cost about $180 more (as they came from Japan) than the Tanabes

Last edited by Tork; 04-10-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:02 PM
We're not entitled to tell what size wheel you should get or if you should get a drop. Depending on your situation, its best if you decide either or

As for the differences in the springs, there are tons of thread just eager to be searched by you.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the informative input. I just want to make it clear that I did search and most of the post that did come up were geared towards the Tanabe DFs, maybe I'm searching with the wrong keywords. But, most of the stuff that I read are.... rides nice, no rubbing or those drops looks sick. I never dropped a car before and would like to be well informed as possible. That is why I joined this forum, because there as so many well knowledgeable people in here to help out the mechanically challenged (like myself). I would hate to think that I only changed a mechanical part based on simple explanations that I don't really understand. Again I apologize for a catagory that is played out.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Choro-Q_Fit
Thanks for all the informative input. I just want to make it clear that I did search and most of the post that did come up were geared towards the Tanabe DFs, maybe I'm searching with the wrong keywords. But, most of the stuff that I read are.... rides nice, no rubbing or those drops looks sick. I never dropped a car before and would like to be well informed as possible. That is why I joined this forum, because there as so many well knowledgeable people in here to help out the mechanically challenged (like myself). I would hate to think that I only changed a mechanical part based on simple explanations that I don't really understand. Again I apologize for a catagory that is played out.

I see what you're saying, and I totalyl understand because at one point I didn't know much either, but I researched and now I know a few things. Also, searching is not on the forum, but as well as outside

Here's my chip in but only for once......

RSR
http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm/RS-R-Ti2000-Down-Suspension-GE8-Fit-RS-5MT-56511

Tanabe
Tanabe Racing Development USA /inc.