2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by shinjari
As for acoustics, once I put the subs in a box it was MUCH better. Fortunately with hatchbacks you can get away with smaller subs/power since the subs share the same space/air as the cabin, unlike in a coupe or sedan...
This phenomenon is known as Transfer Function. Transfer Function is the ratio of output to input, in this case measured in dB, which the subwoofer (or other) frequency is boosted from placement in an automobile, room, or any enclosure larger than that of the subwoofer, but smaller or more restrictive than a 3rd enclosure (the atmosphere). This is a crude explanation of Transfer Function, but nonetheless, it is somewhat basic as it related to SPL (sound pressure level) in automobiles.

Hatchbacks almost always have higher Transfer Function than sedans at low frequencies. The main reason is exactly as shinjari states - the sub enclosure is free from the constraints of the trunk, which unfortunately acts as a restrictive enclosure in a sedan, unless you install "free air" subs, in what's known as Infinite Baffle, unsing the entire trunk as the enclosure.

In a hatchback, the sub enclosure is the smaller of the two "boxes," the larger being the interior volume of the cabin itself. Sub bass will always be louder in the larger of the two boxes (the cabin in this case). An easy way to observe this theory in practice is to crack the driver's window 3" or so in the middle of a low, long bass note. You will notice the bass gets noticably louder, to some degree. This is because you have now ported the 2nd box (the cabin) to an even larger area - outside into the atmosphere. This makes the 2nd box essentially a Band-Pass enclosure, and the transfer function is increased even more at low frequencies.

If you have a REALLY large system, with multiple subwoofers, you can go even further with this, by parking in a small garage, then listening as the window is rolled down, and then the garage door is cracked next. When I installed SPL systems, we used to mess with these tricks just for geek giggles. But they are neat exercises to observe the physics of sound.

You wanna talk unwanted panel vibration? Try losing a windshield every time you compete. We had to install Lexan windshields in some vans to prevent them from shattering from the high SPL. I also saw a Civic with 8, 15" Cerwin Vegas buckle its own roof with bass, and it looked like the car had been rolled!

Old 06-12-2017, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Goin need all the deets on how to make this happen. The more I think about it, the more I think I should try to keep the Fit to at least 150k miles, value really isn't going to get much lower than it already is.
Shoot me a PM "mike". We can discuss all you want

Originally Posted by TIGHT-FIT
This phenomenon is known as Transfer Function. Transfer Function is the ratio of output to input, in this case measured in dB, which the subwoofer (or other) frequency is boosted from placement in an automobile, room, or any enclosure larger than that of the subwoofer, but smaller or more restrictive than a 3rd enclosure (the atmosphere). This is a crude explanation of Transfer Function, but nonetheless, it is somewhat basic as it related to SPL (sound pressure level) in automobiles.

Hatchbacks almost always have higher Transfer Function than sedans at low frequencies. The main reason is exactly as shinjari states - the sub enclosure is free from the constraints of the trunk, which unfortunately acts as a restrictive enclosure in a sedan, unless you install "free air" subs, in what's known as Infinite Baffle, unsing the entire trunk as the enclosure.

In a hatchback, the sub enclosure is the smaller of the two "boxes," the larger being the interior volume of the cabin itself. Sub bass will always be louder in the larger of the two boxes (the cabin in this case). An easy way to observe this theory in practice is to crack the driver's window 3" or so in the middle of a low, long bass note. You will notice the bass gets noticably louder, to some degree. This is because you have now ported the 2nd box (the cabin) to an even larger area - outside into the atmosphere. This makes the 2nd box essentially a Band-Pass enclosure, and the transfer function is increased even more at low frequencies.

If you have a REALLY large system, with multiple subwoofers, you can go even further with this, by parking in a small garage, then listening as the window is rolled down, and then the garage door is cracked next. When I installed SPL systems, we used to mess with these tricks just for geek giggles. But they are neat exercises to observe the physics of sound.

You wanna talk unwanted panel vibration? Try losing a windshield every time you compete. We had to install Lexan windshields in some vans to prevent them from shattering from the high SPL. I also saw a Civic with 8, 15" Cerwin Vegas buckle its own roof with bass, and it looked like the car had been rolled!
Exactly! When I installed the subs in the rear doors, the doors were not helping with the whole "infinite baffle" situation so the subs were not responding very well. Not to mention the doors arent nearly as "sealed" as a trunk would be.

So far the cabin noise is somewhat reduced, some previous vibrations/rattles are definitely gone as well. Going to use the CLD tiles I have left on the trunk area and if I have any remaining after that I'll tackle the roof. Not sure if i will go the whole MLV route, but if I come across some locally...then I might. The stuff is just so expensive to ship.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:35 PM
Banned
If anyone wants the JDM RS led 2nd gen tails I'm selling for $200 + S&H. In perfect condition.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM
My Jazz Si 2013, mild drop with Bilstein coilovers. Handling is greatly improved. I will be getting new sets of rims soon (thanks to Shinjari for the advice). Still on stock 16 inch rims.
Name:  DSC_0171_zpsqkuve3df.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  173.2 KB

Old 06-13-2017, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pacemaker
My Jazz Si 2013, mild drop with Bilstein coilovers. Handling is greatly improved. I will be getting new sets of rims soon (thanks to Shinjari for the advice). Still on stock 16 inch rims.
Man those are some pretty good looking stock wheels! I dig them!

Wish we got the same front end as you across the "pond", so much nicer looking.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Mounted my JDP rear diffuser

Old 06-14-2017, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
nice sexy butt

Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jbyron
Mounted my JDP rear diffuser

In love with this color, I think I'm going with the matte version for my IS300

Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by counterFIT
In love with this color, I think I'm going with the matte version for my IS300
My color is Avery Gloss Metallic Brown specifically if that helps! I don't know how different 3M's browns are.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned
My color is Avery Gloss Metallic Brown specifically if that helps! I don't know how different 3M's browns are.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned
And FitFreak, say hello to my new daily as the Fit gets transformed into a track car:

Taking it to Dankfest on Saturday if any of you will be there!

Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
And FitFreak, say hello to my new daily as the Fit gets transformed into a track car:

Please focus on cleaning it before you modify it. That thing looks abused.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member

Congrats on the new ride. Be safe! RWD handles a bit different than FWD

Old 06-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Had the windows tinted this morning, first one in ....

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your GE fit today?-img_4245.jpg  
Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Man those are some pretty good looking stock wheels! I dig them!

Wish we got the same front end as you across the "pond", so much nicer looking.
Tell me about it, theyre even nicer in person!

Old 06-15-2017, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sono
Had the windows tinted this morning, first one in ....
Tint looks good (and the Milano red), but think you meant to put this in the GD thread?

Originally Posted by connor55
Tell me about it, theyre even nicer in person!
Aren't you over there right now? How come you're not posting Jazz pics? haha

Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM
Tint looks good (and the Milano red), but think you meant to put this in the GD thread?

Yeah I suppose so...lol Question, why is the 2nd gen starting with 08 abut the first gens stop in 08....lol

Old 06-15-2017, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
One more. Have to install the tein coilovers and progress rsb and ill call it a day. This was supposed to be a mod free daily lol

Old 06-15-2017, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
One more. Have to install the tein coilovers and progress rsb and ill call it a day. This was supposed to be a mod free daily lol
Gotta admit...that brown looks pretty sharp. Did you do the wrap yourself? If not, where and roughly how much did that run?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

Haha i havent seen any nice jazzes yet. Ive a ton of base models though.

Im meeting a guy i know from tfc while im here. Not sure when yet.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?