2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Offtopic but anyone know why the TPMS need to be reprogrammed everytime you switch tires? I spent a few hours the other day searching but couldn't find the actual answer.

Or is it that they need to be reprogrammed everytime you add a new TPMS but not when you just get new tires?

This is my first car with TPMS in awhile so I will admit I'm not the expert

Originally Posted by MEATBABY
Intake won't take long to install ha. And I'm pretty sure any good tire shop can program the TPMS for you. I mean they usually offer aftermarket/replacement sensors so I assume they can program them.
Maybe because it was a hot day but when I installed my Injen CAI it was a major PITA, I cursed it a few times for sure that day

Old 07-02-2014, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Waizzz
Offtopic but anyone know why the TPMS need to be reprogrammed everytime you switch tires? I spent a few hours the other day searching but couldn't find the actual answer.

Or is it that they need to be reprogrammed everytime you add a new TPMS but not when you just get new tires?

This is my first car with TPMS in awhile so I will admit I'm not the expert

Maybe because it was a hot day but when I installed my Injen CAI it was a major PITA, I cursed it a few times for sure that day
You need to reprogram only when swapping TPMS sensors.

Like i said before, the ECU only holds one set of IDs.

Of you swap tires (summer/winter), but NOT sensors, you don't need to reprogram. But that can get costly if you want to swap wheels also, because you'll need to move the sensors if you don't want to reprogram the ECU. And if the tire isn't flexible enough, the tires will have to be unmounted, move sensors, then remounted. Double if both sets are too stiff.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-02-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by pozzi

Installed my armrest last night. Still waiting for the correct hardware to finish installing my window visors. :/
If you bought the window visors new, check the inside of the box. I thought I was missing hardware until i found it hiding, taped to the inside of the box.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Soyelbahm
If you bought the window visors new, check the inside of the box. I thought I was missing hardware until i found it hiding, taped to the inside of the box.
Yeah, I found the clips, they just sent too many of one and not enough of another. Short two clips to finish. Have the fronts in but the rears are in the back seat in the box still. The seller is sending out the two missing clips...but now I have to wait. :7

Old 07-02-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member

Installed my armrest last night. Still waiting for the correct hardware to finish installing my window visors. :/
you cant use the stock driver side armrest in conjunction wit the add on right?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers

Of you swap tires (summer/winter), but NOT sensors, you don't need to reprogram. But that can get costly if you want to swap wheels also, because you'll need to move the sensors if you don't want to reprogram the ECU. And if the tire isn't flexible enough, the tires will have to be unmounted, move sensors, then remounted. Double if both sets are too stiff.
There's probably a thread on this and it's probably been covered before, but can you clone sensors if you get a second set of sensors?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
There's probably a thread on this and it's probably been covered before, but can you clone sensors if you get a second set of sensors?
I was going to say there weren't any programmable sensors... but apparently, there is, at least, one.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

It needs the installer to have the programming software (with hardware to communicate with the sensor) or handheld unit... but I don't know how popular this is, if at all.

So, unless you know your installer has it.. might be easier to just go with the ATEQ quickset, since you can program in ANY TPMS sensor in the future. The "ez-sensor" might require an install charge for the programming... on top of the fact each sensor costs about
$46 at Amazon $46 at Amazon
, while I saw TPMS sensor as low as
$18 @Amazon ("Genuine" Honda Part number 42753-SNA-A830) $18 @Amazon ("Genuine" Honda Part number 42753-SNA-A830)
. TireRack charged me $36 each when I bought it with my tire and wheel combo.

~~~~~ on un-related news ~~~~~

Here's an updated pic of my dash with my trim piece around the navigation unit. I had to dig around my room to find the original trim that came with the unit. Then found that the top and bottom were too wide so I had to cut, trim and file it down a bit. The sides are a little too narrow, but fit better than the Metra trim piece. It doesn't look too bad in the camera pic. And if you don't stare at it, it looks fine. But doesn't stand up to any kind of inspection, since I had to hack it in. It would probably look better if I could set the whole unit with trim a little deeper into the dash piece, but there's no screw holes that would line up at that point.

Up close with unit booting up.

Last edited by Goobers; 07-02-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator

That makes perfect sense, I was over-thinking it lol

Too bad the TPMS doesn't give you actual readouts but that's another topic all together

Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 PM
I was going to say there weren't any programmable sensors... but apparently, there is, at least, one.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System - TPMS

It needs the installer to have the programming software (with hardware to communicate with the sensor) or handheld unit... but I don't know how popular this is, if at all.

So, unless you know your installer has it.. might be easier to just go with the ATEQ quickset, since you can program in ANY TPMS sensor in the future. The "ez-sensor" might require an install charge for the programming... on top of the fact each sensor costs about $46 at Amazon, while I saw TPMS sensor as low as $18 @Amazon ("Genuine" Honda Part number 42753-SNA-A830). TireRack charged me $36 each when I bought it with my tire and wheel combo.
Got it, so i'd have find someone with the programmer. You are right it would just be cheaper to get the quikset, it'd be a good tool to have in the toolbox anyway nowadays.

Originally Posted by Waizzz
That makes perfect sense, I was over-thinking it lol

Too bad the TPMS doesn't give you actual readouts but that's another topic all together
I would be in heaven if the TPMS put the actual tire pressure on the dash... that'd be so cool/useful. For me anyway. Do they have anything like that that doesn't require a sponsored race team to acquire? Probably no lol

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Got it, so i'd have find someone with the programmer. You are right it would just be cheaper to get the quikset, it'd be a good tool to have in the toolbox anyway nowadays.

I would be in heaven if the TPMS put the actual tire pressure on the dash... that'd be so cool/useful. For me anyway. Do they have anything like that that doesn't require a sponsored race team to acquire? Probably no lol
I'd just be happy if they had a reset button you could do yourself to pair w/ new TPMS sensors on new wheels.
Absolutely stupid they require a dealership to do it with the Honda ECU tool.
there should be an on-board procedure to do it without a service call.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'd just be happy if they had a reset button you could do yourself to pair w/ new TPMS sensors on new wheels.
Absolutely stupid they require a dealership to do it with the Honda ECU tool.
there should be an on-board procedure to do it without a service call.
But mainstream customers would never use it, since they'd mostly likely just stick to the wheels that came with the car.

Then there's folks like me, replace the wheels once.

And since the Fit wasn't particularly targeted as a winter AWD vehicle, or a sports vehicle, I'm pretty sure those that do the summer/winter swap is in the minority.

So not sure if they can justify the cost.

That being said, i recall reading something about some vehicles that have TPMS that automatically relearn sensor IDs. I wonder how much those systems cost. Or rather, how much they affect the price of the car.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
Ask and you shall receive... and it's totally JDM - temps in Celcius, and pressure in Atmospheres not psi (not sure if you can change settings though).

The unit itself (not sure if the sensors are included)MUGEN Electronic Parts 01 Type A Honda Civic FD1-3 06-11

Rakuten link ---> Mugen Infinite i-TCMS Life

Aside from the combined price (sensors, unit, etc, etc), I don't think you can use it with the OEM sensors... so it's either/or.

Also there was another company "Orange TPMS" which supposedly offers TPMS sensors that can be cloned, but when I tried to contact them via phone & email, I got no reply. Orange also makes a TPMS system similar to the Mugen where it displays tire pressures for motorcycles... possibly for cars too.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
That is SUPER boss. After shipping it's ~$900 though. And that's for just the unit or does it include the sensors? Either way, after having them installed you're going to pay well over $1000 for something you can just check every week with a normal tire gauge. Not to mention just LOOKING at your tires to see if they are low. This is meant for racers so they can see their tire pressure on the fly out on the track. Not that you couldn't use it on your daily, but man that is some serious dough for such a tiny piece of equipment.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 PM

That is super cool, thanks so much for posting that.

That price is honestly not bad for something like that. I mean a STACK dash setup is like $1400+. I fully expected it to be more than $1k. I wouldn't run it on a DD of course, but it'd be super useful for a race car.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
$1k for something that tells you your tire temp/pressure? That seems insane to me. You don't NEED a digital display of that all the time. Sure it would be nice to be able to see if the pressure in a tire is going down noticeably while driving so you can pull over before the tire goes totally flat and you maybe damage the tire or wheel, but are you going to be looking at that gauge every five seconds to watch for that happening? Also you might not be able to switch the units, in which case you're going to have to learn celsius to farenheit and atmospheres to psi conversions in your head. Like I said I think this is really meant for track use. If that's not what it's meant for then that's really where it would be most useful and worth the money (in my opinion). The Fit already has TPMS sensors so if one gets low while driving the light will come on. Then all you have to do is pull over and check the pressure in the tires unless one is visibly low.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
But of course if it's your car and your money do what you want. If you have a grand burning a hole in your pocket then why not.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM

That is super cool, thanks so much for posting that.

That price is honestly not bad for something like that. I mean a STACK dash setup is like $1400+. I fully expected it to be more than $1k. I wouldn't run it on a DD of course, but it'd be super useful for a race car.
kidding me? comparing this to a STACK is like comparing a modern day laptop to a really fancy scientific calculator. Might be good at doing ONE thing well, but it can only do ONE thing! If you're a "racecar driver" and your crew can't properly inflate your tires, or you can't feel a low tire while on the track, you shouldn't be on the track in competition. Most good drivers can tell if the tires are new, scrubs, shaved, unshaved, or within 2-3 psi from target pressures. it all transmits through the entire car. This might be something for the weekend club-"racer", but nothing for a serious driver. IMO show points only.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Racecars are expensive. I'm talking about a legitimate competitive racecar, not a weekend warrior daily driver. $700 for something like this to monitor tire pressures real-time while out on track is nothing to a competitive race budget. $700 doesn't even cover tires. So why not just throw it on?

Edit to pozzi:

I'm not even a racecar driver and I can tell when my tires are off 2-3 psi

I just think it'd be a useful data point to have when you're setting up. People on here pay $600 for a cat back exhaust which is less useful than this LOL

Last edited by Wanderer.; 07-03-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Racecars are expensive. I'm talking about a legitimate competitive racecar, not a weekend warrior daily driver. $700 for something like this to monitor tire pressures real-time while out on track is nothing to a competitive race budget. $700 doesn't even cover tires. So why not just throw it on?

Edit to pozzi:

I'm not even a racecar driver and I can tell when my tires are off 2-3 psi

I just think it'd be a useful data point to have when you're setting up. People on here pay $600 for a cat back exhaust which is less useful than this LOL
because it's unnecessary for a track car. it'd be like putting an interior & exterior ambient air temp sensor or navigation in a racecar...could it be useful? i suppose, but is it necessary? no.
the track cars i've worked on, even for club stuff, we'd strip everything but the essentials. I've ripped the fan and venting system out of Miatas and S2000s just for weight savings. plastic venting tubes weigh nothing, but they're 86'd for pure simplification and weight savings. i've stripped factory harnesses so the unused wires are removed. removed window regulators and pinned glass in place. we'd weigh the sum total of everything removed in the end on most, and although things seem miniscule, the overall total is what ppl are after on a track car.

if you have time to look at another display while at full tilt, you're probably not at full tilt.
there's a reason too that there is normally a minimal amount of gauges in a track car; Tach, fuel, oil pressure, water temp and the latter two normally have a warning light wired in, so there is a visual indicator while on the track. no speedo, no MPG, no trip meter. it all becomes a distraction to the driver. the other gauges, (or a dash/wheel mounted display is normally only used in the pits to view/recall essential and additional info while safely off the track).
my point is, this Mugen TPMS is just a blingy gadget that would not, or should not, ever end up on a serious track car. it's purely a streetcar/showy thing.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM
That is a good point.

So why buy a STACK then right?

Just install a tach, oil pressure, water temp. That's what, $300 at the most? Good enough for NASCAR good enough for you.

There's all kinds of extraneous BS out there. Shit just put a oil pressure light, a high temp light, and a shift light in the car and call it a day.

I would find that thing useful for setup, idk, you're right not needed on race day, but just an easier way to take data.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?