2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Nerdsrock - Nice. Two questions - which mountains? And does your car have a clear bra cause the paint looks good! What year?

Here is a photo of my mountain drive over the San Juans two weekends ago!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini Pearl
Nerdsrock - Nice. Two questions - which mountains? And does your car have a clear bra cause the paint looks good! What year?

Here is a photo of my mountain drive over the San Juans two weekends ago!

Blue Ridge parkway right outside of Cherokee, NC.

Its a 2012, no clear bra, but thanks!

Looks like an awesome time in the San Juans!

Old 10-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Nerdsrock22
Blue Ridge parkway right outside of Cherokee, NC.

Its a 2012, no clear bra, but thanks!

Looks like an awesome time in the San Juans!
Nice - so how do you keep white hood paint looking so nice. Tricks?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Finally got around to getting mine tinted. (Sorry for the night-time shot, absurd I know but didn't have time during the day to shoot.)

Name:  1j2gzGc.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  568.5 KB

With a brow!

Name:  kOMDK4p.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  385.4 KB

Old 10-27-2013, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Nice - so how do you keep white hood paint looking so nice. Tricks?
No tricks really, I rarely drive it on the interstate, so there aren't a lot of chances for rock chips. I have some touch up paint to use when one shows up though.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM
That's great Nerdsrock - I didn't realize that 4 lane to work would be so brutal. I mean, it still looks fine. One larger chip out of my bumper and the touch up is OK but noticeable. But 300 miles a week of it. Yea, thinking clear bra. I wish I had read up more before purchasing it so could have rolled into payments. Oh well, I thought my Yaris would get here in time. Changed horses at the last minute. I wonder if the Yaris has this issue? Oh well, if that is my worst discovery about it so far . . . Just think winter roads will be very hard on the hood if not protected.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by GardenerGraham
Did two things that I thought were complimentary to each other on the Fit this morning.

1) Added 2-gauge ground wires to passenger side mount and battery -ve terminal. (This is something I have found gave a slightly positive impact on other vehicles I've owned, and hey I had all the materials already!!!)
Placebo.... did the math for you posts 23-24

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ns-kick-2.html

Old 10-28-2013, 01:51 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 13fit
I found a TON of oil where the breather feeds the runners. Going to get a filtered catch can for my car in the near future for sure!!
Oil can cause detonation inside the combustion chamber! NO NO NO!!

The oil is NOT coming from the "breather" it's coming from the PCV system. Putting a catch can on the breather that goes into the intake airbox will result in the collection of no oil.

Look at some of the catch cans threads posted on here and you will see installed there collects NO OIL.

Put it into the correct system the PCV system.

All that breather does is equalize pressure in the crankcase with AIR going in more than coming out.

While the PCV system does add oil to the intake stream that is it's job.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Great idea on that windshield tint strip jamesbooty3

Only thing I did was get rained on while driving to work. I have been sick the last week but plan on giving her a good polish this weekend

Old 10-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Clear bra cost - is this a good deal?

Hi everyone - I called the dealer and I can get the clear bra (hood and fenders) for $399.00. They said is was cheaper to repaint the front bumper than to bra it.

I also called the local detailer - they no longer do clear bra. I live in a small town and the other local detailer has the phone on voice mail and no room for messages. I am a little worried about quality if they rarely do the procedure. (Yes, I am a nurse practitioner and it takes doing something 50 times a year in medicine to assure you can do a good job at it - so, yea, I think going with someone who does these for the dealer has advantages.

Can someone help me - is this a good deal or is it too high? I need to make a decision sooner rather than later - they may be able to do it tomorrow. Either that, or next week. But 300 more miles says probably a couple more little dings. I am going to the larger city (where my dealer is) to have it done. But I don't know anything about the quality of the other detailers there so there is some assurance with the dealer. Just wanted some opinions from this group. Thanks!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hi everyone - I called the dealer and I can get the clear bra (hood and fenders) for $399.00. They said is was cheaper to repaint the front bumper than to bra it.

I also called the local detailer - they no longer do clear bra. I live in a small town and the other local detailer has the phone on voice mail and no room for messages. I am a little worried about quality if they rarely do the procedure. (Yes, I am a nurse practitioner and it takes doing something 50 times a year in medicine to assure you can do a good job at it - so, yea, I think going with someone who does these for the dealer has advantages.

Can someone help me - is this a good deal or is it too high? I need to make a decision sooner rather than later - they may be able to do it tomorrow. Either that, or next week. But 300 more miles says probably a couple more little dings. I am going to the larger city (where my dealer is) to have it done. But I don't know anything about the quality of the other detailers there so there is some assurance with the dealer. Just wanted some opinions from this group. Thanks!
Why not call some local vinyl or vehicle wrapping shops? $399 doesn't seem completely unreasonable, but it would be worth your time to get a few other quotes.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by loudbang
The oil is NOT coming from the "breather" it's coming from the PCV system. Putting a catch can on the breather that goes into the intake airbox will result in the collection of no oil.

Look at some of the catch cans threads posted on here and you will see installed there collects NO OIL.

Put it into the correct system the PCV system.

All that breather does is equalize pressure in the crankcase with AIR going in more than coming out.

While the PCV system does add oil to the intake stream that is it's job.

Good job acting like a smartass

But I know what oil looks like, and its getting directly into the motor, just under the EGR plate for the runners.

A catchcan WILL collect the oil and WILL prevent oil from getting into the motor and causing detonation

The PCV system is sometimes called a breather setup. I am NOT referring to the valvecover setup

BTW loudbang, the insdie of my filter that is mounted to the valvecover tube is coated in oil.

At idle, there is a vacuum, hence why if the tube isnt going to the FILTERED intake, you should use a small 12mm filter on it. At higher rpms and load, its pushing pressure out.

Blocking it would cause engine damage eventually, and leaving it unfiltered allows dirt in the air to get directly into your motor

EDIT Perhaps people on here dont realize how often I beat the ever living daylights out of my car. Not a day goes by that I dont hear that high cam profile kick in!

Good ol Honda, making it safe to have fun!

Long day at work. Dont take my words harshly

Old 10-28-2013, 07:56 PM
@ Nerdsrock - I could get more quotes from the City (1.5 hours away, where the dealer is) - but my Google search did not turn much up. In my rural community - where the world drives big trucks (its ag) - it is only the one detailer with her phone on voice mail that does them at all. And I have not seen any locals with that sort of thing. I would guess there are 12 or fewer Fits around town (I know of 3) - in fact, there are just not many sub compacts total.

Problem is that the larger city is where I work 2X a week and where I am picking up the small dings. And I am on the clock 8-7 on those days, so taking time off to chase a better quote is less than optimal. My dealer (where I have several friends) is willing to do it on my lunch hour tomorrow - so it could be done before the big winter storm that is coming tomorrow. The hood and fenders is a mid ground price for less coverage. I think, since it sounds reasonable, I will just do it and be done. No doubt, I could save $50-$100 if I really looked and was OK with waiting and/or taking time off work or driving it again on a Sat. The price would be another paint ding or two (average 1-2 per week now).

I have honestly never cared that much about paint. The wax was so nice this AM but the storm is blowing in so the Fit (under car port) is coated in dust now. Glad I got it waxed first. I will post pics tomorrow if I get a chance. Thanks to all who have helped with making this choice. I do think I will be glad in the long run.

Last edited by Mini Pearl; 10-28-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 13fit
Good job acting like a smartass

But I know what oil looks like, and its getting directly into the motor, just under the EGR plate for the runners.

A catchcan WILL collect the oil and WILL prevent oil from getting into the motor and causing detonation

The PCV system is sometimes called a breather setup. I am NOT referring to the valvecover setup

BTW loudbang, the insdie of my filter that is mounted to the valvecover tube is coated in oil.

At idle, there is a vacuum, hence why if the tube isnt going to the FILTERED intake, you should use a small 12mm filter on it. At higher rpms and load, its pushing pressure out.

Blocking it would cause engine damage eventually, and leaving it unfiltered allows dirt in the air to get directly into your motor

EDIT Perhaps people on here dont realize how often I beat the ever living daylights out of my car. Not a day goes by that I dont hear that high cam profile kick in!

Good ol Honda, making it safe to have fun!

Long day at work. Dont take my words harshly

Well maybe if you used the proper nomenclature for what you are trying to say we could figure out what you are taking about and I wouldn't have to constantly correct the misinformation you are putting out confusing the new guys.

The PCV system has never been called the breather system they are two separate systems.

The proper place for installation of a catch can is sliced into the PCV system you know the one with a PCV valve attached.

The other piping the comes from the side of the block and goes into the intake piping is a BREATHER ONLY to equalize the pressures in the crankcase ONLY. And unless your rings are shot or you have FI their is NO OIL COMING OUT THE BREATHER. If you have oil from the breather system you car is on the way to being junk. Just try for once reading all the catch can mistakes in this site and you will see if a catch can is installed there it collects NO OIL unless your rings are junk.

The oil that collects on the egr plate is from the PCV system doing it's job collecting oil mist and putting it back into the intake stream.

AND if you don't believe just me there is at least one more expert that builds NASCAR engines and catch cans for NASCAR teams and he agrees with me. Read it and weep. And it has photos so even you should be able to understand it. Sorry no crayon drawings.

http://www.shophemi.com/images/media..._ccv_bible.pdf

Last edited by loudbang; 10-29-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
Brought my car into the dealer to have them redo the tint on my windows. After two weeks I still had some bubbles in the tint. I figured that if I am going to be paying that much for my new car I want a perfect tint job. Also had them debadge the dealership decal that was on there.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:43 PM
paint is done.

seems like I have a wiring gremlin. I suspect stuck relay tho. Will find it tomorrow.

the overcast day doesn't show off this colour at all. will take more tomorrow once the sun hits.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Nice Nicotine - Really sharp looking. Is it a new color or a repaint?

I got my sport a bra. Very rainy today - so this shot is not the best. I can barely see it - which is good. I'll take some better shots soon. I do think it is a good investment and imagine I could have done a bit better going non-dealer. But, it is done. Lifetime guarantee and I know the dealer will be there.

Also rocked 41.5 MPG on my fill-up today!!!! YES!!!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:27 AM
nice on the 41mpg. pretty sweet.

it's lexus pearl white..flip back a few pages to see it. it shows better in good light. those pics were taken in heavy over cast greyness :\

Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 AM
nicotine, car's looking fantastic!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:47 AM
Banned
Looks REAL GOOD. Be sure to write down the paint number and name and put it somewhere safe in case you need repairs in the future.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?