2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

What did you do to your GE fit today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
It got caught in a picture at Cars & Coffee Atlanta this morning:

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Installed a Mugen short shifter.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Got my first oil change. Right at 5000 miles, but the car is a year old, so it was time.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by malraux
Got my first oil change. Right at 5000 miles, but the car is a year old, so it was time.
whoa... I could never do that. only 5k in a year?

Every car I've EVER driven... would easily pass 10k in a year (this even includes when I was just learning how to drive too!).

I haven't officially hit my 1 yr mark with my Fit (Jun 21)... already 18.5k. About to do my 3rd oil change soon (15% MM has been up a few days), will be the 1st one I do personally.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
whoa... I could never do that. only 5k in a year?

Every car I've EVER driven... would easily pass 10k in a year (this even includes when I was just learning how to drive too!).

I haven't officially hit my 1 yr mark with my Fit (Jun 21)... already 18.5k. About to do my 3rd oil change soon (15% MM has been up a few days), will be the 1st one I do personally.
Currently a stay at home parent for a 9 month old. The nearest grocery store is about a mile away, etc. If you live inside the city, its hard to really add up the miles.

My wife's 04 Accord has less than 50k on it, for example.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
While I agree is it hard to add up miles in the city... somehow, I managed to rack up quite a bit, even when I was living in Chicago (now in the burbs).

Old 06-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Goobers
While I agree is it hard to add up miles in the city... somehow, I managed to rack up quite a bit, even when I was living in Chicago (now in the burbs).
Chicago though is a real city with awesome stuff to go and do. Little Rock is a shithole filled with assholes, so its rarely worth it to go out somewhere.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
I swapped out my 48" crossbars for 58" crossbars. Next up: paddle mount, fairing, and a better kayak mount.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
I swapped out my 48" crossbars for 58" crossbars. Next up: paddle mount, fairing, and a better kayak mount.
Recommendation. Skip the fairing (and go for the windjammers if you have round bars) if maintaining fuel economy is a desire. The fairing cost me 3-4mpg during regular commuting which is an AVG of 45mph. Ditching the fairing and moving over to strictly windjammers bumped me back up to almost normal mpg. If interested, for the crossbars you are getting, you'll want a few more jammers than I had (which was 2).

With a fairing and cargo box on the roof and the whole family in the vehicle, I lost about 7-10mpg depending on speed. 65mph - 7mpg loss, 80mph - 10-11mpg loss.

~SB

PS, the only reason I have the fairing is that I had it on my last car that I used the Yakima on. I figured on this car, I'd give it a test... yeah... it cut down on noise, but so did the wind jammers. If it had been 1mpg difference, I'd have kept it on, but 3-4mpg

Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
I only noticed a 1mpg drop with my last roof rack on this car (with a fairing). I average 28 anyways so 27 isn't a concern. I get 28 with the rack and crossbar pads now, it's just LOUD.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
I only noticed a 1mpg drop with my last roof rack on this car (with a fairing). I average 28 anyways so 27 isn't a concern. I get 28 with the rack and crossbar pads now, it's just LOUD.
Ahhh ok... I thought maybe you were up a bit higher on the economy scale. With the fairing, box, family and doing 80 up the Thruway & Northway in NY, I was averaging 29mpg... but that was my lowest tank of gas ever. I regularly average 39mpg or higher. Filled up today for just under 41mpg.

The windJammers cut down significantly on the howl. I saw the photo above with the kayak on the roof and that one side must howl like crazy... a jammer in there on the Front & rear bar would completely cut it out. I tried it for a day without the box on the roof and only 1 jammer up front... AWFUL howl. I moved both to the front and the rear had a slight howl but nothing like only one on each bar.

~SB

Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
going to have the porters at work detail my car

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Ahhh ok... I thought maybe you were up a bit higher on the economy scale. With the fairing, box, family and doing 80 up the Thruway & Northway in NY, I was averaging 29mpg... but that was my lowest tank of gas ever. I regularly average 39mpg or higher. Filled up today for just under 41mpg.

The windJammers cut down significantly on the howl. I saw the photo above with the kayak on the roof and that one side must howl like crazy... a jammer in there on the Front & rear bar would completely cut it out. I tried it for a day without the box on the roof and only 1 jammer up front... AWFUL howl. I moved both to the front and the rear had a slight howl but nothing like only one on each bar.

~SB
The rate of speed on the highways / interstates / intrastates around here is 80, and combine that with a lot of traffic, and the 10mpg chunk is taken out. I have managed 38mpg going to Florida at 82mph.

I'll have to try the windjammers next! Thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM
few recent things done to the Fit...

love them 3 pics above... tells a great story

pair of Brides off the sick S15 and into the FIT... winning!!!

*note: JDM Bride rails for the GE needs modification to fit USDM

on gravel???

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 06-07-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM
on gravel???
STOP THAT!!! You're getting it dirty!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Got my ETC from twpanson. Got to say makes a major improvement in the way the car feels. Absolutely loving it!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Last night I took my Fit shopping at Home Depot.

No, I did not do the "Home Depot Lip."

Instead, I bought a bunch of stuff that remotely deals with the Fit.

44 gallon trash can. How does it relate to the Fit? Well, so far, I've been taking cans to recycle in much smaller bags... that I have left outside (until I get enough to make it worth the trip). They get dirty so I end up getting the Fit ever so dirtier each time. With the 44 gallon can (and LID!), I can pack more aluminum cans in the bigger bag, and keep the bag relatively clean... therefore keeping my Fit clean!

Bunch of PVC pipes and fittings. Originally, I wanted to use foam pipe insulator and some pieces of steel to mold into a cup holder for my Bubba keg, that I can more easily move around in my Fit. While shopping, another customer suggested I use PVC pipes to make a more basic bracket/brace. Which I have...

with my mug in it

and a Pepsi can for reference

That's a 52 oz Bubba keg... lasts a goooooooooood while.

Took a LOT of cutting to get the size just right (not too tight, not too loose, Goldielocks?!). You'll have to forgive the oddball 4th post... I was just grabbing PVC 1/2" caps from a box in a rush... and didn't realize that one of the four was for threaded PVC pipes (aside from the threads, its too small to use). I hate when customers put things "back"... in the WRONG box. Have to go back to HD next time I have a chance so I can buy the last correct cap.

Anyway, as I said, this will make it easier to move around. Up until now, I've been using one of my sweaters to "mold" into the shape of the mug and then putting the seatbelt around it. It's annoying when I have to move it from the front seat to the back seat (having a passenger)... and then back again, because I have to re-"mold" the sweater. If I don't, the mug risks toppling over and spilling its contents onto my seats... again.

Hum... I wonder... should I wrap this thing in some cloth or something to make it look less... industrial?

Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
I could do up something like that to secure my water/methanol injection kit in the spare tire well.... You need an ugly pickup with a bed full of horse manure and a John Deere tractor cap to go with the bubba keg.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'd love to get a John Deere lawn mower... would that count?

People look at me funny when I'm walking around with a Bubba Keg mug... cause I'm not who they were expecting to have one. Me, being yellow, and all.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
pair of Brides off the sick S15 and into the FIT... winning!!!
Daaaaang, you beat me to it

Hows the seating position? lower then OEM? Is that the Ergo?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GE fit today?