2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying soon, Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Question Buying soon, Q's?

I am looking to get a new Fit soon, I'm going to buy it, so I have no payments. Just wondering what the best way to go about haggling on the price. or is there really no wiggle room on it? What have your experiences been like?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Some advice here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...fit-sport.html

An easy way is to email several dealers with your OTD (Out The Door) offer, which is your final price after taxes, fees, addons, etc. Ask them for their lowest OTD offer, and then compare among the dealerships. Once you decide to go to the dealership, print out the email so you have it in writing.

Last edited by Vanct; 04-08-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaspap
I am looking to get a new Fit soon, I'm going to buy it, so I have no payments. Just wondering what the best way to go about haggling on the price. or is there really no wiggle room on it? What have your experiences been like?
You can read up in this thread for current trends in prices (people who just bought the car):
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...0-days-31.html

And here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...fit-sport.html

This site has some tips and links:
New car buying guide, how to buy new cars, avoid dealer scams when you buy a car

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
For me personally, i went to the dealer back in December to purchase a 2009 Fit and they told me there was a $1500 markup on all the '09 models. So that equals about $19k for a Fit sport 5AT + taxes, title, etc... I then told them i got much better prices at other dealers and i'll go somewhere else. So that is when the salesman decided to give me a better price and i walked out with a final price of $16,800 + tax, title,etc., which is lower than invoice for a Sport 5AT.

If they try to sell it to you with a markup or even at MSRP, tell them that you'll go somewhere else, or just say you got a better offer at another local dealer. There are a bunch of Honda dealers here in NYC to go to for me, but he never asked me which dealer i got a lower price and i wouldn't have told him if he had asked.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with Vanct, also make sure torequest they throw in a set of all season floor mats (there are NO mats included with the car). Good luck

Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Go to Edmunds.com and look up invoice on your model.
add the destination charge.
Email a bunch of dealers. try to get within 0-$200 of invoice price. (taxes, plates etc are of course additional)

(get dealers email addresses by searching dealers on honda.com, cars.com or autotrader.com)

Old 04-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the comment people, I am hoping that buying it straight out, will give me some pull on the price? Here's hoping, and yes, I want some free extras in there too.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Now is still a pretty good time to be buying if you can afford it. Dealers have surpluses on their lots that they need to get moving, although it won't last too long since production has slowed to meet current demands. Just let the dealers know that you are ready to buy TODAY in full cash so they will be scrambling for your business. Don't settle for an OTD price that you don't want.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I got about 700 off MSRP by looking at internet prices. They were very confused at the dealer, as they apparently had no idea about the internet "sale", but I got it.
P.S. When asking about prices, be very careful, as dealers WILL try to sell you forced accesories and not include it in the quoted price.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the comments, hard to get some good answers about Canadian prices. A couple of dealers have already got back to me, but what they e-mailed was the same as the Honda website quotes. I am sure I can get a better deal then that.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
overstock.com usually has some low prices that you can persuade your dealer to sell you at.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM
go in ther looking for an insight then ask about the ugly looking hatch in the corner.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jaspap
I am hoping that buying it straight out, will give me some pull on the price? .
Actually probably NO.

Lets say the dealer sells you a car at slightly above cost.....assuming they would make a quarter point on financing to help eek out a profit somewhere despite giving you a low price..

Me thinks it will be smarter to spring the cash thing on them at the last moment, the fact that they are losing an 'additional profit item' wont impress them and will not help you get the lowest price.

Last edited by Tork; 04-09-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I just got back from "Haggling" with the dealer....I was trading in a mint condition 00 civic ex...with 125k. He offered me 2500 for that car...about a grand lower than i am willing to accept at this time.

As far as the price of the fit...he was at 16.3 plus sales tax and all that junk. I am not sure if they budge much on that price but I am going to wait it out and see how bad he wants to sell it.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Moltisanti2009
I just got back from "Haggling" with the dealer....I was trading in a mint condition 00 civic ex...with 125k. He offered me 2500 for that car...about a grand lower than i am willing to accept at this time.

As far as the price of the fit...he was at 16.3 plus sales tax and all that junk. I am not sure if they budge much on that price but I am going to wait it out and see how bad he wants to sell it.
Since you're paying cash for the Fit, why not sell the Civic yourself? Used Hondas are very easy to sell--3 years back, I sold my 92 Accord LX Coupe, in one day. I listed it on cars.com on a Saturday night, and when I was at the car wash cleaning it the next morning, I got a call; the guy came by and bought it on the spot.

I had people calling as far away as El Paso (which is 600 miles away). That was just nuts.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Paul S In TX
Since you're paying cash for the Fit, why not sell the Civic yourself? Used Hondas are very easy to sell--3 years back, I sold my 92 Accord LX Coupe, in one day. I listed it on cars.com on a Saturday night, and when I was at the car wash cleaning it the next morning, I got a call; the guy came by and bought it on the spot.

I had people calling as far away as El Paso (which is 600 miles away). That was just nuts.

I'm not the original poster, haha. I am trading in my civic and financing the rest. I was just posting my experience for others.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
go in ther looking for an insight then ask about the ugly looking hatch in the corner.
Ya, that might be a good idea. Gotta go in there with some kind of game plan. Thanks. Maybe I'll trade in my Skyline.....on second thought, no.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tork
Go to Edmunds.com and look up invoice on your model.
add the destination charge.
Email a bunch of dealers. try to get within 0-$200 of invoice price. (taxes, plates etc are of course additional)

(get dealers email addresses by searching dealers on honda.com, cars.com or autotrader.com)
This is what we did... we pitted several dealers against each other and ended up getting it for $150 over invoice. We have no problem with the dealer making at least a little money. They are working stiffs too!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
both times when i bought the fit i pretty much paid
sticker + the materials they paid on the options. i cut out
the labor telling them about the BS labor rip-off they were
trying to do on me and they accepted.

there is some wiggle room to remove the labor, but pretty much
msrp, i think. im sure honda's getting somewat despirate to
sell cars so you have the upper hand.