2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

should i or shouldnt i

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
should i or shouldnt i

so wanting to get a new 09 fit and in a lot of post when talking about sell my hatch and wanting the 09 ppl say not to get the 09 that they arent as good. please give me your input on the pros and cons. thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

It all depends on who you will ask..... I have had both .. a GD1 & GE8....I prefer the GE8 for several reasons... 1) comfort 2) space 3) styling ( even though some might agree with this one )....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Only test drove an 08, but I have to say I love my 09, bought my 09 SSM Sport as soon as it released (had to wait 3 weeks) and I have no real complaints. Only that my dogs hair is attracted to the fabric.

After driving both I like everything about my GE better. Exterior/Interior everthing.

I'm perfectly happy with mine,

So thats my vote
+1 for the GE

Old 04-02-2009, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
I think 90%+ of the people you ask here will say that they love their GE8, myself included. I test drove the GD1 and found the ride to be a little rougher than I liked, and the styling was kind of hit and miss: at some angles it looks great, at others it looks like a puny car ;p. Of course that's completely my opinion but yeah.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
The best judgement you can get is from a personal test drive yourself.

It will help you assure that your decision is the best you have made.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Do what I did and drive both. I ended up in a GE8

Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I test drove the GD1 and found the ride to be a little rougher than I liked
Same here...always loved the GD and was about 85% sold after my GD test drive, however, I decided to wait for the GE hoping it would address the few gripes and concerns I had.

Each additional feature and creature comfort available for the GE pushed it over the top for me. Every single area of the car was updated, inside and out, and in my opinion, all areas were improved to some degree - the GE met 100% of my criteria. So, I bought one!

Last edited by reako; 04-02-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
I don't drive a Fit right now so this is not a biased opinion:
Look at it this way:
- Newer
- 2 more doors so this means more space
- Same reliability as your Civic since it is a Honda too
- Another canvas to make it your project
- Warranty
Those are the pros
Cons:
- You have a mini-me swap on your car so maybe, and I said maybe, the Fit will be slower.
- Your car has more time with you so you have made it to your likings

Don't know what else, maybe someone else can chime in.

G/L on your decision. I say you won't be wrong either way. That's my opinion.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

When the Fit was first made available in the US, I test drove a SSM Fit Sport with the AT and felt it was too small both outside and inside. I wound up leasing an Accord instead. After two years in the Accord, I had started to think I should have gone with the Fit. When the GE was a month away from becoming available, I test drove an '08 MR Fit Sport with the 5 spd MT. (I wanted to re- test drive a GD to make sure that a Fit would be entertaining enough for me -- I was seriously considering other cars, like the Civic Si, Mini Coopers, GTIs, and C30s.) That test drive really convinced me that I could be satisfied with the driving experience in a Fit, but I was still concerned that the GD was too little.

Last month, I decided to test drive a GE to see if the changes had improved the Fit, and I was blown away. I bought a MR Fit Sport with a MT the same day. Personally, I think Honda absolutely improved the Fit significantly with the GE. The difference in styling, interior space and driver comfort, especially for tall drivers like me, is dramatically better.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 PM
i love college
im 6'3" and i have no problems with space.. just my 2 cents

Old 04-03-2009, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
It all depends on who you will ask..... I have had both .. a GD1 & GE8....I prefer the GE8 for several reasons... 1) comfort 2) space 3) styling ( even though some might agree with this one )....
lol same here i had a 08 sport auto and now have a 09 sport auto while i loved the gd3 it wasn't as comfortable as the ge8. plus the ge8 has a little more space then the gd3 the only gripe i have with my ge8 is the engine seems more noisier. but it seems to have less road noise then the gd3 hope this helps imo you can't go wrong with either gen.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Kyokutou23
Only test drove an 08, but I have to say I love my 09, bought my 09 SSM Sport as soon as it released (had to wait 3 weeks) and I have no real complaints. Only that my dogs hair is attracted to the fabric.
Ditto, on the dog hair--what works well on that? It doesn't vacuum off well with a shop vac and the sticky type lint brushes weren't even close to one swipe and no dog hair. And I'm not talking about mounds of hairs--I've got a Lab, and it's just stray hairs that remain after vacuuming that drive me crazy getting off the seats (which got on the seat backs and carpet from my clothes/tennis shoes).

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I had this problem with a previous car and my sister's Siberian Husky. Those dogs don't need snow, they bring their own.

I banned the dog from my car - problem solved

Of course that won't work if it's your own dog.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 PM
HID Addict
never drived the GE8, but ive seen plenty of them and stared at them, one thing i hate, it looks too much like a ball. might as well go with a yaris =\ look-wise. And also, being that its a more newer car than the gd3, you might have less modifcations you want to do with it, as they are only starting thier production/ideas for this car. may the best car win

Old 04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I test drove the Versa, Yaris, and the FIT. Guess which one I picked! It also gets plenty of praise from consumer reports. Here's what they had to say about the Driving Experience...

The Fit swallows the odd road bump well enough, but rough roads provoke short, choppy motions. Even the highway ride feels busy, more so in the Sport. The cabin is never quite free of road noise. That, plus some engine hum, can grow a little tiresome. Quick, direct steering and very little body lean aid the Fit's eager cornering abilities. The Base version handles a bit less crisply, and its smaller tires provide a little less cornering grip. The Fit wagged its tail somewhat in our avoidance maneuver but remained ultimately secure. ESC would help but is available only in the Sport and only bundled with the expensive navigation system. The 118-horsepower, 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine delivers quick takeoffs but doesn't brim with power. Either transmission is a good choice. The easy-shifting five-speed manual adds sportiness, and the smooth, responsive, five-speed automatic is more relaxed with lower engine speed on the highway. Expect 33 mpg overall with the manual shifter and 30 mpg with the automatic, using regular fuel. Braking is very good overall. The headlights' low beams give insufficient forward illumination. The high beams project farther but are dimmer close in.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
well seem ,more and more like the 09 newer body style then expected.......