2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

K&N air filter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:42 PM
K&N air filter opinions

Ok I searched but I didn't find the answer (though I bet its on here somewhere). Does anyone have a K&N filter for their 09? Opinions? Is it worth it? Maybe a part number or link. Thanks.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
I looked into getting the K&N Mugen drop in filter as well, but the general consensus was that they are very expensive and not quite worth it (~$80++). I don't believe they are available in the US yet either. Credit to JDM_DOHC_SiR for sharing these pics of it in another thread:

Name:  IMG_0675.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  239.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  223.4 KB

Last edited by reako; 04-02-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up and the pics. 80$ is too rich for me, especially if there is not a noticeable difference.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Go with the PRM if you want a difference... or wait for the results of similar products out soon.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Those PRM ones look NICE, but expensive. Its not a pressing mod so I guess I will wait and see.Thanks guys

Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Just to share experience on the Mugen Drop-in Air Filter (OEM from K&N with additional sponge, as shown in photo).

Several of us SG GE8 Jazz (mix of AT and MT) drivers have installed it. The general consensus is that the power lag in 1st and 2nd gear is now gone after installing this air filter. As a result, acceleration from 1st gear and onwards is smoother. On the 5th gear, lesser depression of accelerator (just a very light footing) is required to maintain speed of 100km/hr on a flat road. Overall fuel consumption reduced, thus achieving better km/liter.

There is at least one whom switched from Hurricane drop-in to this Mugen drop-in. He is simply impressed by how much difference a simple air filter has.

Our common consensus is that it's definitely worth the price (SG selling it @ S$190 previously, now with Yen increase, it's @ S$231 in late March).

Together with Mugen drop-in and Mugen Sports exhaust (low bassy sound, not like those loud exos), it turns the GE8 Fit/Jazz into a silent killer on the road...

Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I wouldn't bother with K&N. You won't feel a difference and supposedly its bad for the engine. Check out Welcome to see what K&N does to your engine and oil. Just get a full intake if you want a noticable difference.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I wouldn't bother with K&N. You won't feel a difference and supposedly its bad for the engine. Check out Welcome to see what K&N does to your engine and oil. Just get a full intake if you want a noticeable difference.
Interesting read thanks for posting the link. Reading through the test results looks like there is not an extreme difference between the filters. I guess you have to trade some filtering for power. I'm not convinced the Full intakes will filter any better. Good thread thanks guys

Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't bother with K&N. You won't feel a difference and supposedly its bad for the engine. Check out Welcome to see what K&N does to your engine and oil. Just get a full intake if you want a noticable difference.
Well, difference in opinion.

Anyway, I have sent my used oil for analysis (1st) and the UOA reports is great. In fact, the chemist is surprised at the rather low fuel dilution. Been on the Mugen drop-in for about 9000km now. Next UOA coming up shortly and let's see what the report says.

After trying out Mugen stuffs on a few GE Jazz, the group of us are now impressed by their R&D and effort put in to ensure quality. If it's a truly K&N design, I would have doubts. But it's Mugen, just that it's manufactured by K&N according to Mugen specs doesn't mean it's like K&N. The additional sponge does has its reason to be there.

Oh, just to clarify. The group of us are not into pure power. We share the common objective which is to improve the stock design to overcome its weaknesses while keeping to stock specifications as much as we can.

Last edited by chaicka; 04-02-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Your right about giving up filtration for power. Although I think they main reason K&N filters are getting a bad rep is cause of the oil they use on their filters. Although I've ran K&N filters before and never had a problem. Nor have I encountered someone that has had engine problems due to a K&N filter although the proof is there that its not good for the engine.

I believe a full intake will filter the same amount as a K&N without inhaling the oils used on the K&N filters. Plus.a full intake will remove all the baffles and restrictions in the intake pipe which is where most power is lost. That's why I suggest if you want to upgrade your better off getting a full intake so you won't have the negative effects of the K&N filters and still feel a noticable difference in power.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Your right about giving up filtration for power. Although I think they main reason K&N filters are getting a bad rep is cause of the oil they use on their filters. Although I've ran K&N filters before and never had a problem. Nor have I encountered someone that has had engine problems due to a K&N filter although the proof is there that its not good for the engine.

I believe a full intake will filter the same amount as a K&N without inhaling the oils used on the K&N filters. Plus.a full intake will remove all the baffles and restrictions in the intake pipe which is where most power is lost. That's why I suggest if you want to upgrade your better off getting a full intake so you won't have the negative effects of the K&N filters and still feel a noticable difference in power.
Apexi drop-in would be the ideal drop-in air filter I would love to have. But too bad they have not release one for GE yet. It does not use oil like K&N, yet similar in design.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
your right about giving up filtration for power. Although i think they main reason k&n filters are getting a bad rep is cause of the oil they use on their filters. Although i've ran k&n filters before and never had a problem. Nor have i encountered someone that has had engine problems due to a k&n filter although the proof is there that its not good for the engine.

I believe a full intake will filter the same amount as a k&n without inhaling the oils used on the k&n filters. Plus.a full intake will remove all the baffles and restrictions in the intake pipe which is where most power is lost. That's why i suggest if you want to upgrade your better off getting a full intake so you won't have the negative effects of the k&n filters and still feel a noticable difference in power.
+1

Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Although I think they main reason K&N filters are getting a bad rep is cause of the oil they use on their filters.
K&N/oil gauze filter criticisms are 2-fold. First, more than a few people have had issues with oil residue fouling MAF sensors. Secondly, oiled gauze filters (K&N and many cone filters), while they flow well, have shown in some tests to not filter so well. Whether this filtration difference actually impacts engine longevity is questionable. Lots of people have run them for many miles without issues.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Retired Moderator
I love my Drop in....Mugen Filter.... money well spent... and I can could feel a noticeable seat of the pants power difference ( A.K.A. Butt Dyno )...

Last edited by JDM_DOHC_SiR; 04-03-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Where can I get a Mugen filter for GE8?

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by mholbrook38
Where can I get a Mugen filter for GE8?
+1 I wonder if there is a part number out there for this item?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah. I would be interested in getting one too, until I can get an intake.

And on a personal note, regardless of research, I ran a K&N cone filter on my CAI on the grand am. When I would clean it, it was not uncommon for me to 'over-oil' when re-oiling. Over 50K miles later, I NEVER had a single problem related to my intake whatsoever. But maybe I just got lucky...

Last edited by Kittengolf; 04-03-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Group buy on the Mugen!

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm up for a group buy.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
keep the stock intake and its filter. is my opinion.

Quick Reply: K&N air filter opinions