2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Risk of installing aftermarket bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Risk of installing aftermarket bluetooth

I am a new owner of a 2009 Fit sports w/ nav. Like many of the people on this forum, I am looking to include an aftermarket bluetooth connection. I would like it to be integrated into my car stereo system and was looking at the Parrot 3200LS.

However, I spoke with a salesman at a local custom shop who has experience with custom audio work that cautioned me about putting in the Parrot. He claimed that the installation would require splitting wires (a harness could not be used) and I risk destroying my entire sound system in the process. He said that this issue was unique to the 09 Fit model and he would not recommend an integrated bluetooth for them.

I am now thoroughly terrified to have this done to my car and was hoping to come here for some advice. I would rather go with a model like a parrot that does not require charging, is fully integrated into the stereo, and has a little display to see who is calling over a separate clip on unit. But, I would much rather not damage my car beyond repair. Any recommendations?

Old 04-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Translation: he doesn't sell Parrot, and would prefer to sell you a replacement headunit ($$$) with integrated bluetooth.

Any "professional" installer that is freaked about splicing into some speaker wires is probably not one. I would suspect that a typical cable adapter kit is available for the unit anyway, obviating the need to cut any OEM wires. The splice would be made in the adapter wiring. Sure enough, here's a review of this same model (in color display), being installed in a Chevy pickup, with wiring adapter.

Note, adapter wiring for the 09 Fit may not be available yet, but if you search the threads, you'll find that a number of people have used other Honda wiring adapters to add aftermarket radios to the 09 Fit, so the equivalent car's Parrot adapter wiring would probably work.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
QC works with Parrot to manufacture wiring harnesses for Parrot products. I've used one of their harnesses to install the 3200 in my dad's 2009 Silverado and it works flawlessly.

Parrot Kits and Quick Connect Harness Adapters

This is what I will use for my Fit when I opt for bluetooth.

if the link above is broken, go to the parrot site and when you've decided on a bluetooth item, click on "vehicle compatability". It will offer a link for QC's site.

I know this is an old thread but folks who search may find it usefull. The harnesses are pricey but I'm not a big fan of splicing...I know, I know...just suck it up and do it! But, I do not like introducing more points of failure into a system than necessary.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
check crutchfield.com and see if it's compatible with the Fit (I'm 99% sure it is).

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
I have the Parrot setup. It's perfect. It's even better than the factory unit because I get caller's ID on the display.