2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Buying experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Buying experiences

I have a friend that likes my FIT and wants to purchase one. He lives in western Pennsylvania and was wondering how much under sticker he can expect to realistically pay for the new model. Any experiences you guys wish to share?

He checked out CR and was surprised to find that the dealers were marked up much higher than he thought.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
There are multiple threads about prices paid by people and how much over/under MSRP they paid. The search function is your friend . Cheers!

Here's one to start you off:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html

Last edited by M4psycho; 03-23-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
All car sales have been down including hybrids (down 62%), but now I think that includes Fits as my dealer who had very few ever in stock now has 23 Fits in stock.

What ever you read in a publication is OUT OF DATE!

About $625 mark-up on a Fit so I would suggest $400 under sticker would be a good deal IMHO.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
My two cents.

Originally Posted by M4psycho
There are multiple threads about prices paid by people and how much over/under MSRP they paid. The search function is your friend . Cheers!

Here's one to start you off:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-your-fit.html
What I paid for a FIT more than two years ago has little bearing upon today's market. I used the search function and ended up with a ton of useless data that is either way out of date or has buried in the midst of 200 posts some relative data "maybe".

Obviously EVERY question posted on this forum could be answered by the search function in some way -- thus the forum wouldn't be needed if we all took that tack. Why have realtime questions? - so you can get realtime data.
Most of these forum search functions are bogged down by the hundreds of potential search terms that they are often near useless except for very specific topics about a non- common subject.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by traugh
What I paid for a FIT more than two years ago has little bearing upon today's market. I used the search function and ended up with a ton of useless data that is either way out of date or has buried in the midst of 200 posts some relative data "maybe".

Obviously EVERY question posted on this forum could be answered by the search function in some way -- thus the forum wouldn't be needed if we all took that tack. Why have realtime questions? - so you can get realtime data.
Most of these forum search functions are bogged down by the hundreds of potential search terms that they are often near useless except for very specific topics about a non- common subject.
I suggest you rethink about the situation and what is available on these forums a little. The 09' Fit (did I mention that this is the GE forum?) only came out in September, so whatever is on these forums is still quite useful. To add to that, if you even bothered looking at what people were paying for Fits back then, you could easily and rightfully extrapolate that your friend would be getting a better deal on the car today than those people back when it came out, so it gives you an idea of where to even begin bargaining. Another thing is these threads have evolved with time as well, with people adding to them here and there (not necessarily all the time) as new-comers buy their fits, so it also gives you information on the evolving market and what people are getting for their money.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Go through Consumer Reports to get a car pricing report for $14. This will explain the true price the dealer paying for the car. Invoice price is not what they actually pay. Take that price and add 5%. That is a fair price to pay for any car. Don't forget that dealer fees are profit for them. If they add dealer fees, subtract that from the fair price. Tax and tags are not profit for them, leave those as is.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
I paid $15K OTD for an '09 Fit Basic.

The transaction was smooth, easy and pleasant. I hate buying cars. This dealer was pleasant. Striling Honda, Longview, WA.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by traugh

Ughhhhhh
I gave you the answer above, even what somebody paid for one 6 weeks ago I sincerely believe is out of date. I am telling you Fits seem to be stacking up on dealer lots (tax time, rising unemployment????)
$600 bucks profit on the car, no current rebates of finance incentives.
That pretty much tells the whole story me thinks!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by boojum
I paid $15K OTD for an '09 Fit Basic.

The transaction was smooth, easy and pleasant. I hate buying cars. This dealer was pleasant. Striling Honda, Longview, WA.
Even for manual transmission, I can't see how you could have got this price. For an auto trans, that is a little over $100 less than what the dealer actually paid for the car and that doesn't even take into consideration taxes and other fees. Are you sure this is your OTD price?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer Invoice on a Basic Fit (MT) is $14,714 (with destination)

Dealer Holdback is $295 on the Fit.

Bottom line price on the Fit Basic (MT) is $14,419

I purchased the Consumer Reports new car price report and have all the numbers.

I was able to get %1 over dealer invoice at the end of February.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FireFox91
Even for manual transmission, I can't see how you could have got this price. For an auto trans, that is a little over $100 less than what the dealer actually paid for the car and that doesn't even take into consideration taxes and other fees. Are you sure this is your OTD price?
OTD prices are so ridiculous I usually wont even bother (all different/no sales tax state to state= meaningless!!!!).

Re: boojums $15k otd price, his location is OR but he bought it in WA........
what does that tell you about the tax he paid OTD????????

Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 PM
OTD means Out The Door. Amazingly, I know what I paid for the car. Can you believe that??!! I was off by $200, the deposit. The check I wrote to take the car Out The Door was $14,998. There is no sales tax in Oregon so it was not collected on the car I bought in Washington.

The price, licensing, taxes, delivery, dealer mumbo-jumbo and an offering to the car gods was $15,198.

Are there any more questions?

Last edited by boojum; 03-23-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ibglowin
Dealer Invoice on a Basic Fit (MT) is $14,714 (with destination)

Dealer Holdback is $295 on the Fit.

Bottom line price on the Fit Basic (MT) is $14,419

I purchased the Consumer Reports new car price report and have all the numbers.

I was able to get %1 over dealer invoice at the end of February.
^^^^^ that is good info, should be all you need to negotiate the best deal. Taxes are what the are (except for states that dont have sales tax)

Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by boojum
OTD means Out The Door. Amazingly, I know what I paid for the car. Can you believe that??!! I was off by $200, the deposit. The check I wrote to take the car Out The Door was $14,998. There is no sales tax in Oregon so it was not collected on the car I bought in Washington.

The price, licensing, taxes, delivery, dealer mumbo-jumbo and an offering to the car gods was $15,198.

Are there any more questions?
Excuse me for peeing in your corn flakes this morning. I was only asking the question because some people really don't understand what out-the-door price really means. Find something more important to be defensive about.