2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09' Fit Cargo Shelf Cover dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Angry 09' Fit Cargo Shelf Cover dilemma

The detailed instructions for installing the solid piece cargo shelf are a joke! States that all you need is a Phillips screw driver, push pins, tape measure and a felt tip pin. First off, you can't screw the blasted snaps with covers in at all! Behind the material for those seats are some type of metal frame.

The first placement is on the right rear seat states 2.2 inches (assuming 2" 1/4?) from the left side, and 1.7 inches down. Try turning that Phillips screw driver in one of those snap heads. It won't puncture the solid metal frame of the seat behind that felt backing. You would need an electric drill!

There is absolutely no way to install those snaps with covers. Poorly thought out by whom ever.

Anyone else have the answer?

Last edited by RaXeT; 03-22-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
There are pre-drilled holes for the screws. You just have to feel around through the felt for the depressed areas on the felt. No need for a drill.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dman
There are pre-drilled holes for the screws. You just have to feel around through the felt for the depressed areas on the felt. No need for a drill.
Exactly! That's what the push pins are for. I used it to kinda feel around through the carpet. Just make sure it's in the metal frame. I made a mistake on the first button and thought this other recessed area that was just a little off the measurement was the right hole and stretched the carpet a little where I tried to screw the button in.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
CBX
Mine went well using the pushpin method too. Just take your time finding each pre-drilled hole, and it will screw right in.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:37 AM
09' Fit Cargo Shelf Cover dilemma

Originally Posted by dman
Thanks man. I guess I'm not as intuitive as I thought.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
Or you can just do nothing and let the flaps and buttons dangle down for 2+ months...MAN I'm lazy.......

Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I put the snaps on, but have left the flaps hanging for months. I flip the seats around too much to be bothered.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM
I let the dealer do it for me. It's perfect!

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
There was another thread about this but I am too lazy to go find it. Basically, my solution was to not even put the snaps in. Use some needle nose pliers to pop off the caps holding the fabric to the shelf. That way you still get a clean presentation with no hanging fabric and you don't have to cut it off.

With the seats in the reclined position, there is only a 1/2 inch of space to look into the cargo area. You can't see anything through this little amount of space, especially so if you have window tint. The fabric and snaps are just a hindrance to you getting cargo in and out. I know for sure that if I installed the snaps I would have ripped them off sliding something into the back at some point. And the leftover fabric can be used for something else. In my case is was used to make a sweep on the gate to my backyard to keep the cat from getting out. Apparently she found another way out. :/ Stupid cat.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that felt hanging thing is a joke. im going to remove mine pretty soon.
it's just an inconvenience than anything. just use the tray part of the
cover along with the rope and hook.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by kenchan
that felt hanging thing is a joke. im going to remove mine pretty soon.
it's just an inconvenience than anything. just use the tray part of the
cover along with the rope and hook.

1st thing I did!!.... I removed that flap with a quickness..

Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FireFox91
Basically, my solution was to not even put the snaps in. Use some needle nose pliers to pop off the caps holding the fabric to the shelf. That way you still get a clean presentation with no hanging fabric and you don't have to cut it off.
Nice! I'll try this later...thanks!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member

With the seats in the reclined position, there is only a 1/2 inch of space to look into the cargo area. You can't see anything through this little amount of space, especially so if you have window tint.
thanks for the tip. I didn't even realize the rear seats could recline. This mod actually made me feel not so gypped by honda's cargo cover.

Not sure if you really need plyers to remove flaps though. I just pulled it off, and off came the plastic.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Wait! The rear seats recline???

Old 04-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Wait! The rear seats recline???
Sure do... but only about 3~4 inches tops..

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
any cheaper alternatives out there yet? paying 200 bucks for a piece of plastic is a bit too much.....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Sure do... but only about 3~4 inches tops..
I learn something new every day.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by wskwong
any cheaper alternatives out there yet? paying 200 bucks for a piece of plastic is a bit too much.....
A really nice cardboard box.

You are right, that price is way too much for what it is. But, anything else makes it look like you are hiding something which might encourage someone to go ahead and break in. The shelf look like factory equipment because it essentually is. You can get it for cheaper from College Hills Honda. Still expensive, but required if you want to keep prying eyes out of your trunk. There is no aftermarket option on this I am aware of.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 PM
There is no aftermarket option on this I am aware of.
5% rear tint?

i was thinking of buying the rear cover.. but i cant justify spending $200 on it... just gonna get dark rear tint haha

Old 04-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by dela
5% rear tint?

i was thinking of buying the rear cover.. but i cant justify spending $200 on it... just gonna get dark rear tint haha
That would work too until the cops decide to inform you of your illegal tint. I have 15% myself and I still wouldn't leave it with tint alone.

Quick Reply: 09' Fit Cargo Shelf Cover dilemma