2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Driving Chevy Aveo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
Driving Chevy Aveo

Just the thing to make you feel even better about your Fit...

I have a Chevy Aveo sedan rental today. Our Fit has much better room. There's too many negatives about the car, so whatever aspect you can think of, rate it poor. There's really not much to like about the car. I even hear groans and creaks from the soft spongy suspension. Handling and steering are abysmal. Path accuracy while riding over bumps is disconcerting. Engine sounds cheap and weak.

I could really go on all day, but you get the point.

Tell me, who would in their right mind buy this thing, esp over the Fit?

Old 03-17-2009, 04:40 PM
Kinda figured esp....if it came from chevy. Hope your rental doesn't fall apart on ya.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I'd take an Aveo over a Fit any day. When I went to buy one, they were sold out so I had no other choice.....

Old 03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I'd take an Aveo over a Fit any day. When I went to buy one, they were sold out so I had no other choice.....
Haha. You've got to be kidding.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
You always have a choice, bro. After all, this is NORTH America.

Even my friends that own them don't like them!

Come on, you're joking! Right?

Last edited by theloxmyth; 03-18-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: North America : )
Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
yah this has to be a joke, though who knows... there are strange people in the world. Considering this is a honda fit forum and all...

I would give the Aveo some benefit of the doubt, it is a rental after all, so probably been abused since new. And getting an Aveo over a Fit just because a dealer didn't have a Fit is not the smartest decision making.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:44 PM
What do you expect? The Aveo isn't even a real Chevy, in fact it's much worse. It's a Deawoo with Chevy badges slapped on it.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:51 PM
It's a Chevy... of course it sucks.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's a rebadged Daewoo, a company that quickly went bankrupt in the US, from what I remembered.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I checked both out and no option in my opinion, too many pros for Honda... and my pops works for chevy so I would have gotten a dealer discount!!!

On Chevys are crap though I have to agree in the past yes however the SS Cobalt while ugly, is tearing up the competition and ZR1 is making Lamborghini and Ferrari sweat. The 07+ Malibu's and Impalas are impressive and their trucks are a staple of Americana. Also Chevy is coming out with a update of the Aveo (which they will prob trash, which it is) called the Spark (a competitor in the FIT/ XD/ Smart Field).
Oh and have I mentioned the Volt witch is starting a new revolution that the prius started?
Chevy is the only American auto that is serious about staying in the car game, Ford and Chrystler need to step up (yea yea the 300, Charger, and Challenger are great but I am not talking about gas hogs).
So don't disrespect on a car comp that is trying to turn it around. Ive drivn my GM's my whole life and the only reason why I got a honda is because the aveo was crap!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 559fitman
ZR1 is making Lamborghini and Ferrari sweat. The

Oh and have I mentioned the Volt witch is starting a new revolution that the prius started?
ZR1=teh sex

the volt is in the new transformers movie!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 559fitman
I checked both out and no option in my opinion, too many pros for Honda... and my pops works for chevy so I would have gotten a dealer discount!!!

On Chevys are crap though I have to agree in the past yes however the SS Cobalt while ugly, is tearing up the competition and ZR1 is making Lamborghini and Ferrari sweat. The 07+ Malibu's and Impalas are impressive and their trucks are a staple of Americana. Also Chevy is coming out with a update of the Aveo (which they will prob trash, which it is) called the Spark (a competitor in the FIT/ XD/ Smart Field).
Chevy is the only American auto that is serious about staying in the car game, Ford and Chrystler need to step up (yea yea the 300, Charger, and Challenger are great but I am not talking about gas hogs).
So don't disrespect on a car comp that is trying to turn it around. Ive drivn my GM's my whole life and the only reason why I got a honda is because the aveo was crap!
What are you talking about? If anything Ford is the one who's made considerable gain compared to Chevy and Chrysler, which is why Ford can afford to stay in business in these down times and Chevy and Chrysler are on the side panhandling for money from the government. Ford used to have crappy, unreliable cars, and while they're still not industry leading (and might never be), they're respectable considering they're an American car.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I won't give Chevy any credit for trying. They are trying to provide reliable, fuel efficient cars now that they are about to go under. (Oh and we are paying for it, BTW) They will get credit for DOING. For years they and other American car companies kept pushing out huge gas sucking vehicles because gas was cheap. Reliability didn't even seem to be a concern, just size. I won't even consider buying an American car until they can actually compete with the likes of Honda and Toyota in reliability. I drove a Ford product for 10 years and got tired of having to fix it all the damn time. This chart from Consumer Reports tells the tale.

(Credit to Scaldy for the chart.)

Every time I hear that Chrysler commercial about "making the most reliable cars in our history" I think of this chart and shake my head. If this is the BEST they have ever done, their screwed.

And the Chevy Volt? It is a great idea and I honestly hope it succeeds. But given the scramble they are doing to get this thing to market, I really feel like they are going to take shortcuts and it will break all the time. If it does, game over.

Last edited by FireFox91; 03-17-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FireFox91
I won't give Chevy any credit for trying. They are trying to provide reliable, fuel efficient cars now that they are about to go under. (Oh and we are paying for it, BTW) They will get credit for DOING. For years they and other American car companies kept pushing out huge gas sucking vehicles because gas was cheap. Reliability didn't even seem to be a concern, just size. I won't even consider buying an American car until they can actually compete with the likes of Honda and Toyota in reliability. I drove a Ford product for 10 years and got tired of having to fix it all the damn time. This chart from Consumer Reports tells the tale.

Every time I hear that Chrysler commercial about "making the most reliable cars in our history" I think of this chart and shake my head. If this is the BEST they have ever done, their screwed.

And the Chevy Volt? It is a great idea and I honestly hope it succeeds. But given the scramble they are doing to get this thing to market, I really feel like they are going to take shortcuts and it will break all the time. If it does, game over.

Amen!

Ford is leaps ahead in the come back race. Still wouldn't buy one but that's just my opinion.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
You always have a choice, bro. After all, this IS America.

Even my friends that own them don't like them!

Come on, you're joking! Right?
Too bad the guy you quoted lives in Canada.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Your right Ford is the highest in US sales but also started the no interest for 60 months before anyone else. And I will say Consumer Reports have always put American car Companies down every year yet the GM cars I have driven have lasted way past their due date. 82 Caprice Classic sold in 2004, 82 El Camino drove into a tree (I was 16), and I am still driving my 94 Deville with over 200,000 miles on it with the same eng and trans.

I am not putting Honda down in any respect. Because of the poor quality in the Aveo, Nissan Versa, and the imo Xd there is no other choice than the Fit.

Yet Chevy did produce a super car for only 24k called the cobalt SS.... Quoting from this months (April 09) Car and Driver for High fives under the track star category is
1 Lotus Elise $50k+
2 Nissan GT-R $ 76k MSRP
3 Ferrari 430 Scuderia $281k
4 Dodge Viper SRT 10 ACR $88k+
5 Chevrolet Cobalt SS $24k

Now to compare a Cobalt in this category I have to take my hat off to Chevy on a job well done

Oh by the way we all won also in the small car category
1 Honda Fit
2 VW Rabbit
3 Mazda 3
4 Honda Civic
5 Nissan Versa

Don't take any of this as a dis' on Honda's because it isn't... I just feel people don't give some American Companies, like Chevy, credit when they are doing a damn good job.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Woohoo, thanks for the cred . I think with the economy the way it is all you can do is root for the American Car companies to pull it together right now. But I just can't see myself buying a Chevy, Ford or Chrysler anytime soon with their track records over the last decade. Plus, all the commercials about that new Chevy Volt piss me off. If you have seen the movie:

Who Killed the Electric Car?

You'll understand why. If you haven't seen this movie go see it! It's very relevant to what's going on in the US car industry today.

Originally Posted by FireFox91

Old 03-18-2009, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
main reasons North American car companies cant make a good small car is because of their cost penalty of around $1800 a car extra cost to build because they have to fund pension and health care of retired UAW workers.
and
because of government mandated CAFE

Old 03-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kittengolf
Too bad the guy you quoted lives in Canada.
Whoops!

How 'bout 'North America' or 'the free world,' then?!

Old 03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone who mentions the vaporware Chevy Volt has been clearly brainwashed by their marketing dept. They have no competitive products on the market right now so they compete on hyping a YET-TO-BE-RELEASED product. It's sad really. Who knows what could happen between now and then, they could go bankrupt, marketplace could change, technologies could change, government regulations could change...etc.

Quick Reply: Driving Chevy Aveo