2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Driving Chevy Aveo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
fit ftw. =D

Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 9k_RPM
Regardless of what others are saying, I think Chevy (and GM) are moving in the right direction.
moving in the right direction alone doesn't fix things.
they needed to do that 4 yrs ago. their products are
outdated by the time it hits the streets.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
I agree some of their cars are good but from the time of styling to production is too long... and it always seems that their prototypes are really sharp but get dulled down when production comes around. But I saw the projected interior of the Volt witch seems very nice. too bad the car will prob start around $40k. But alot of gov. rebates are suposed to pull the price down to more manageable amount.

And Congrats on getting your Fit back!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, this tread is really comparing a rental/ fleet version of an Aveo to a Fit? Really?

First, they REALLY cheap out rental cars. Cheaper plastics, less standard equipment, less sound insulation. Everything from the steering wheel to map lights is cheapened down. Everything.

Try to compare apples to apples. At the very least, compare a consumer model Aveo to a Fit.

Also, I have a personal friend who bought a 2008 Aveo for $10,700 out the door. The average price for new Fits out the door is $18,000+.

I am happy to hear that Honda is building a better economy car than the Aveo for only 60%-80% more money.

I bought my 09 Fit as a daily driver only to keep the miles and dirt off of my Marauder. For people like me, saving 6-8 thousand dollars on a daily driver that you care much less about than your "personal or fun car" is a BIG deal.

I spent the extra money and bought the fit over the Aveo b/c I am a car nut and buy the best, even if it's just an economy daily driver, and doesn't make much spending sense.

With that said, the Fit turned out to be so well built and so fun to drive that I am very happy with my decision. Heck, I clean her and maintain her as much as my Garage queen.

Originally Posted by SSlick406
In the Aveos defense, it's a $12,265 car what do you expect? My g/f had one as a rental and although it wasn't my personal taste, I thought it was a pretty good car.
YES, a fair review! Trust me, Aveos are much less than that for those of us who can talk a little. Below MSRP on all Chevys.

Originally Posted by shazaam
ford releases a lot of nice cars in europe US gets nothing lol.
X2

Ford offers some bad a$$ cars for the Euro and Aussy Markets. They are rated so high and so well, it is a PURE shame that most of the American market just wants the cheapest of everything and not the best. Remember, we are the exception, paying more for a better built Honda, but most Americans just want it c.h.e.a.p. cheap.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Smile No-way they are going to re-tool...

Originally Posted by Shora
Wow, this tread is really comparing a rental/ fleet version of an Aveo to a Fit? Really?

First, they REALLY cheap out rental cars. Cheaper plastics, less standard equipment, less sound insulation. Everything from the steering wheel to map lights is cheapened down. Everything.

Try to compare apples to apples. At the very least, compare a consumer model Aveo to a Fit..
Just thinking about this statement and I need to post that, sorry , I have to be contrary about this point.

There is no way that the GM motor division (or Daewoo...) is going to re-tool to make anything cheaper than it already is!

Rental agencies purchase models "off the line."

They buy the trim line that they want to buy. ("...less standard equipment...")

Same goes with fleet purchases. They are off-the-line purchases, not cheapened versions of the same model.

Sorry, I had to interject my 2¢.

Last edited by theloxmyth; 03-19-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: (or Daewoo...)
Old 03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Kinda figured esp....if it came from chevy. Hope your rental doesn't fall apart on ya.

its actually a daewoo

Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I think the comparisons are being made because the cars are in the same class. They actually look very similar with the compact 4-door design and flat rear hatch. I think it is fair to compare them in some ways. I know I did when looking to buy a car of the Fit's class. I wanted good gas miliage, 4 doors and a flat hatch for larger cargo. The Aveo and Fit are both the same in that respect. But going into the details is where the differences are clearly seen. Hell, I was looking at a Nissan Versa at first until I saw how stripped down and boring it was.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
^^^Aveo, Yaris, Versa...the Fit simply fit into my scheme : )

Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by theloxmyth
Just thinking about this statement and I need to post that, sorry , I have to be contrary about this point.

There is no way that the GM motor division is going to re-tool to make anything cheaper than it already is!

Rental agencies purchase models "off the line."

They buy the trim line that they want to buy. ("...less standard equipment...")

Same goes with fleet purchases. They are off-the-line purchases, not cheapened versions of the same model.

Sorry, I had to interject my 2¢.
If that's where you stand, then guess what good buddy? Your 2 cents are not even worth 2 pesos. LOL. (I just kidding with you).

However, while they are indeed "off the line" they are still cheapened down just like I said they were. I never said re-tooling was necessary.

The use the cheapest plastics that are available on their most economy model and sell them as stripper models (sounds good if it were women and not cars ).

They simply neglate to add features and items. Sound deadening material, less air bags (in some cases), not steering wheel cover (so it's just a cheap plastic) no (or less) map lights and ect.

Trust me, when it all adds up, the car feels MUCH cheaper.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
: )

(10 char)

Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM
The thing is that, regardless of what people say, the GM EV-1 WAS moving in the right direction 4 years ago. And it could have continued to improve, etc. but GM sold the patents for the NiMH batteries to Chevron. It's not a conspiracy- it's just big businesses protecting their interests. That's capitalism, that's life. But it sucks for those of us who would like to drive electric cars, because they are horribly underdeveloped. For more information, the movie "Who killed the electric car?" is alright, but if you want facts, and cited sources, and a more in-depth and reasonable analysis, I suggest the book "Two Cents Per Mile" by Nevres Cefo. Which you can also read excerpts from on Amazon .

Old 07-29-2009, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
I'd take an Aveo over a Fit any day. When I went to buy one, they were sold out so I had no other choice.....

HA.

EVERY chevy dealership's lot that is RIFE with aveo's.

who do you think YOU are kidding sir.

my sister has an aveo. she does not complain because its paid off and was bought for her.

but she has honda dreams.

maybe they do cheapen out the rental version...but the regular version is nothing to write home about. its not terrible by any means, but its not the fit. plain and simple.

Last edited by eldaino; 07-29-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evmdfan
The thing is that, regardless of what people say, the GM EV-1 WAS moving in the right direction 4 years ago. And it could have continued to improve, etc. but GM sold the patents for the NiMH batteries to Chevron. It's not a conspiracy- it's just big businesses protecting their interests. That's capitalism, that's life. But it sucks for those of us who would like to drive electric cars, because they are horribly underdeveloped. For more information, the movie "Who killed the electric car?" is alright, but if you want facts, and cited sources, and a more in-depth and reasonable analysis, I suggest the book "Two Cents Per Mile" by Nevres Cefo. Which you can also read excerpts from on Amazon .
so basically wat your saying is GM cant make correct business decisions either and advertising books?

im not interested in electric cars. especially the amount of energy required to make those damn batteries to begin with... and let's not forget the waste.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM
so basically wat your saying is GM cant make correct business decisions either and advertising books?

im not interested in electric cars. especially the amount of energy required to make those damn batteries to begin with... and let's not forget the waste.
I just believe in electric cars and like promoting sources of valuable information. Anyways, what is a 'correct business decision'? I don't think GM can make decisions which will be best for our overall domestic economy, the environment, or consumers.

Batteries take some energy to make, but it doesn't even compare to the amount of energy it takes to extract, transport, and refine oil. As for waste... I think the Tesla battery is around 70% recyclable at this point, and the parts which aren't can easily be placed in a normal landfill (they're not toxic or anything), and they said that number will increase as more cars are sold and more batteries are made.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Haha. You've got to be kidding.
i usta have a aveo. it was bad

Old 07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
HA.

EVERY chevy dealership's lot that is RIFE with aveo's.

who do you think YOU are kidding sir.

my sister has an aveo. she does not complain because its paid off and was bought for her.

but she has honda dreams.
My friend also owns an Aveo and it has had problems-a-plenty. I think she has sunk about $3,000+ into it post-warranty. Her gear shift broke, twice, and the car is an A/T.

$12,000 + $3,000 = Practically a Base FIT! Not much of a deal with the Aveo.

She also has Honda dreams. She wants an Element.

Also, my Dad sold former rental cars for a while, they DO NOT, as far as Enterprise is concerned, acquire "cheaper" models. It wouldn't make sense for the car makers to offer them, it would be bad advertising every time someone rents the car. "If you weren't sure our cars sucked, this will prove it."

-P

Old 07-29-2009, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
I just believe in electric cars and like promoting sources of valuable information. Anyways, what is a 'correct business decision'? I don't think GM can make decisions which will be best for our overall domestic economy, the environment, or consumers.

Batteries take some energy to make, but it doesn't even compare to the amount of energy it takes to extract, transport, and refine oil. As for waste... I think the Tesla battery is around 70% recyclable at this point, and the parts which aren't can easily be placed in a normal landfill (they're not toxic or anything), and they said that number will increase as more cars are sold and more batteries are made.
you keep doing what you believe in cause a lot of us are not convinced that electric cars are the next solution.

especially while they are still unpopular with low production volumes it is difficult to comprehend how efficient they really are or can be.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trick
Also, my Dad sold former rental cars for a while, they DO NOT, as far as Enterprise is concerned, acquire "cheaper" models. It wouldn't make sense for the car makers to offer them, it would be bad advertising every time someone rents the car. "If you weren't sure our cars sucked, this will prove it."

-P
quick note on the rentals, i rented the pontiac gxp fro avis under the midsized sedan pricing. not a 'cheap' car and no stripping down of anything

Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
GM has been messing with electric cars since 1989. Every 5 years they say it's ready,but never is. Now we hear it again,will it happen? Would you buy one if they have been "playing" with them for 20 years and still don't have it right. You can buy a RAV4 electric,an Smart electric conversion a couple of years back already. Some large cities use them as utility vehicles in fleet testing. With GM the way it is now,I wouldn't even touch one if I was interested, Nor any other vehicle they sell. They did themselves in,sold crap cars,and the past has come back to haunt them. Will they pull out??? Base on responses here is only a very tiny indication that they have a very tough sell ahead. If all their newest vehicles exibit the same qualities as past vehicles, death to GM will be swift. That remains to be seen. I would truly hate if GM is wasting my tax dollars for their bailout. I am just not willing to put my hard earned money down to see if they have improved. Chrysler should have died,and with Fiat at the helm,probably will. Ford is still alive because they saw what GM had done,and got their crap together before it all fell around them too. I think they have the best chance of making it. Even Toyotas quality slipped some, recent reports show that,and I owned one I can say wasn't up to Hondas standards. They could fall as well to a society presently geared to quality,and price.

Link to past GM electrics: Revenge of the EV1: crushing EV1 crushed GM

PaFitter

Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Granted it's a technology you look forward to, but it's far from feasible. They've been talking about plug in/recharge cars for how long?, and even when it comes to that point how much will it cost the consumer? Then you will need recharge stations at work at home, almost need something like gas stations right?

You don't see a lot of hybrids on the road for the same reason, they can't afford a $25k hybrid, but they can afford a $13k b-class car. The solution has always been there except for the US which loves it's big SUV's. Smaller engines, DIESEL Engines(TDI being the prime example).

Also as for GM having one up on Ford, the new Camaro got recalled for its engine harness did it not. Something about it frying up the starter? Sooner or later you will need to cut the head off the dragon in order for that company to succeed, without the help of the tax payer's expense.

Quick Reply: Driving Chevy Aveo