2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

My oil analysis results

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
Tagged for interest, and a couple questions
1: what brand of oil and filter did you use when changing?
2: are you going to send out a sample of your next one too?

i use honda specific oil if possible, it's pricey but honda stands behind it
(just my opinion, but i'm a HONDA NUT)
DON'T GET ME WRONG i'd use other stuff and do in my older hondas but i want to see this exact evidence, i don't just believe what i see on tv -liquid ball bearings psshh get real!!

Old 03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
Tagged for interest, and a couple questions
1: what brand of oil and filter did you use when changing?
2: are you going to send out a sample of your next one too?

i use honda specific oil if possible, it's pricey but honda stands behind it
(just my opinion, but i'm a HONDA NUT)
DON'T GET ME WRONG i'd use other stuff and do in my older hondas but i want to see this exact evidence, i don't just believe what i see on tv -liquid ball bearings psshh get real!!
1: Honda OEM filter and regular Penzoil 5w-20. I'll see what kind of results I get with conventional oil before switching over to synthetic (maybe).
2: Yes, I'm definitely going to send out another sample during the next oil change, and maybe another one after that too. I'd like to compare the results over time/miles.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 AM
this is interesting to see. My oil is at 20% with like 5400 miles on the odometer. I'm gonna do my first oil change this weekend. I'm planning on doing mobil 1 or honda 5w-20 for the next two changes, then gonna change to amsoil synthetic around 15k miles or so.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
You must drive like a maniac, most people do their first oil change around 5000 and the oil life meter still reads 50 or 60 percent.

Remember guys the meter doesn't analyze the oil at all, it just counts the numbers of revolutions and throttle position and determines the life of the oil on those factors. If you were to wait till it got to 0 or 10 percent you can probably go 12,000+ on the original abrasive oil. It just sounds like a way to save honda money on oil changes, and by the time that mechanical problems show up after waiting that long to change the oil your warranty will be out. Change it at 5000 and play it safe.
Makes me wonder if the weather has anything to do with it, 'cause there were some pretty cold days I had to drive in.....and for the most part I didn't drive like a maniac ;p There were a few times (in the later mileage) where I'd be driving at 4-6k rpms, but that wasn't very often.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Not exactly sure how that system Honda uses to determine oil life works. Might make sense cause I live in FL and see 70+ weather all year round. Maybe they also take MPG into that equation?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 AM
AHHHH i should change mine soon it reads 30% around 9k -_- i don't think i shouldve listened to that honda mechanic that told me to change it around 15%

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm. I've got 40% at 8k or so. Going up to Tahoe this weekend, if what the oil analysis says is true, then my car is in for some brutal treatment?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Touched by his noodly appendage
I would change your oil before the trip, if anyone is running more than 5000 or 6000 miles on their original oil they should change it asap.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by dman
1: Honda OEM filter and regular Penzoil 5w-20. I'll see what kind of results I get with conventional oil before switching over to synthetic (maybe).
2: Yes, I'm definitely going to send out another sample during the next oil change, and maybe another one after that too. I'd like to compare the results over time/miles.
Definitely go synthetic, so worth it. Make sure pair it with a high efficiency oil filter, not some autozone garbage. I know Amsoil makes a high efficiency/high capacity filter for the fit and some of the best testing synthetic oil there is. If you do your homework you'll see there is a difference.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
It will be interesting to see the results of the next oil analysis. One is just data. Try another in 20,000 miles or so.

Cheers.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by qbmurderer13
I would change your oil before the trip, if anyone is running more than 5000 or 6000 miles on their original oil they should change it asap.
just did. was too lazy so went to dealer.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by spinlooproll
Hmmm. I've got 40% at 8k or so. Going up to Tahoe this weekend, if what the oil analysis says is true, then my car is in for some brutal treatment?
Change your oil before you go up, Your car will thank you. My last oil change was 21k miles, m 3rd oil change, it seems to like being changed every 7k-7500 miles, I just change it at 20%, and the oil has come out super clean each time, other than the first. I changed it the day before a Reno/Truckee/Tahoe trip last month, and it really helps it going up that hill at WOT.

There is no real benefit to using Synthetic in a SOHC honda motor unless it is boosted or you live in very harsh or cold conditions. This is actually the first honda SOHC I have seen that uses something other than 5-30, but I run 5-30 anyway since I live in the bay area and our temps are always moderate.

As for the chemical results, they look alright, as to be expected for a new car first change. Running penzoil will be fine, just make sure to use the OEM honda fit filters. I have seen so many bad incidents of people using Fram or Purolator or cheapo oil filters. IMO its not worth it, buy an OEM filter, and run any dammed oil 5-20 5-30 in the fit and it will run like a champ for hundreds of thousands of miles. Save your money on oil for more mods

Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Great thread, very good info.

Re: synthetic oil, only 1300 miles on my Fit so still waiting for my first oil change to make my decision re: my choice of oil.

However, I also have an Accord with 325k that I've had since new. Ive used only conventional oil, changing it at an avg. of approx. every 4500 mi. I've never had an engine issue to date. Still runs strong and smooth, maybe I'm just lucky, and I know this is only anecdotal, but I'm struggling to think that I would have gotten better performance out of my Accord with a synthetic. I see no reason my Accord won't go 400k+ at it's current pace unless my kid totals it...

Just my .02.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
i'm glad i did my first oil change at 5,000 miles

Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Roland
Great thread, very good info.

Re: synthetic oil, only 1300 miles on my Fit so still waiting for my first oil change to make my decision re: my choice of oil.

However, I also have an Accord with 325k that I've had since new. Ive used only conventional oil, changing it at an avg. of approx. every 4500 mi. I've never had an engine issue to date. Still runs strong and smooth, maybe I'm just lucky, and I know this is only anecdotal, but I'm struggling to think that I would have gotten better performance out of my Accord with a synthetic. I see no reason my Accord won't go 400k+ at it's current pace unless my kid totals it...

Just my .02.
There is nothing wrong with Dino oil as long as one changes it before it breaks down. You have proven that.

Synthetic just gives you a longer oil change interval and flows better in the extreme cold. It's not going to work miracles.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 AM
For those wanting to do synthetic, I've heard that it's better to wait until your engine has like 10-15k on it before you switch. I don't know if it's true, I just recall people saying that on here.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
That actually is true. Same thing holds for most engines. If you use synthetic off the bat the engine doesn't break in properly. If you wait until after 15k it will be properly broken in, and you actually should gain slight mpg. On honda racebikes, its VERY important because they rev to 15k rpm. Same basic principal, just not as extreme engine conditions.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
I have seen so many bad incidents of people using Fram or Purolator or cheapo oil filters.
Specifically, what bad incidents have you witnessed from Fram or Purolator filters?

Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
IMO its not worth it, buy an OEM filter...
You mean an OEM Fram filter?

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Honda Fit Accessories - Genuine Factory Honda Accessories, made by Honda for your Honda.

I have worked car, truck, and racebike service and you would be amazed how many fram and purolator oil filters will piss oil out of the sides or the seals. Some of the filters would actually fall apart, without any impact. I run blue OEM honda filters on all my hondas, cars and bikes. And OEM filters aren't fram. They are usually like a buck more than the cheapo filters, but if you buy 6 at a time from HandA, they are the same price as a cheapo filter, but OEM specs. The OEM is made by honeywell, who owns fram tho.

take a look at this website, the dude cuts open a shitload of filters, take a look at the FRAM vs the OEM honda motorcycle filters
http://www.tobycreek.org/oil_filters/

Fram

vs OEM HONDA

you can see the differences in the QUALITY of the internal parts. Honda oil filters raise oil pressure faster, and is another reason why hondas, when maintained properly, last so long. And Honda OEM filters tend to have a rounded oil seal, where cheapo ones have flat seals, that sometimes peel or stick to the engine, causing surface inconsistencies that can cause LEAKS.

The K&N oil filters appear to be good quality though

Last edited by Shaggs2Dope; 03-19-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
plus, the factory filter and washer's like $5 when purchased online... no reason
why anyone would go elsewhere to 'save money' no? i always place a few in my
shopping cart while buying parts online to save cost on the freight.

Quick Reply: My oil analysis results