2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

AT Fit Transmission lunges into 1st Gear when slowing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
You mean having it in S mode but letting the gears drop down on their own and not paddling down? I will try that and let you know. The lunge felt like a lunge when I was new to the car, but now I'm not sure if I've either gotten used to it, changed my habits slighly to help it, or it has truly gotten better- now approaching 2,000 miles. But confirm how you want me to check it in S mode and I'll do that.

I also want to mention that it's good to have you around here rhyneba. It's like having an inside honda guy here. Cool beans.

Dan

Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
It is the AT trying to help you come to a stop by downshifting. Hence, it not occuring in S-mode. They're really not going to fix this for anyone, IMO. First gear is aggressively geared, that's what happens.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It is the AT trying to help you come to a stop by downshifting. Hence, it not occuring in S-mode. They're really not going to fix this for anyone, IMO. First gear is aggressively geared, that's what happens.
I was out today and did not notice it at all. I wonder if it is because we do not have paddles here or maybe the spring I added on gas pedal eliminates some hesitation when I lift off gas?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
You mean having it in S mode but letting the gears drop down on their own and not paddling down? I will try that and let you know. The lunge felt like a lunge when I was new to the car, but now I'm not sure if I've either gotten used to it, changed my habits slighly to help it, or it has truly gotten better- now approaching 2,000 miles. But confirm how you want me to check it in S mode and I'll do that.

I also want to mention that it's good to have you around here rhyneba. It's like having an inside honda guy here. Cool beans.

Dan
I'm glad to have this group. If I can contribute I will, I AM a know-it-all, I DO have my own strong opinions about things and WILL argue the point with someone who is willing.

I've gotten used to the lunge myself but it is still there. If "S" mode doesn't do it when it downshifts but "D" does, then software is at play and it CAN be fixed. Will it? Maybe not. We can bug Honda at the dealer level and see what happens. What I am trying to do is verify the behavior on other cars so I can escalate the issue to Honda driveline engineering. Honda is slow but heck, they fixed my MPG calculation eventually, now didn't they.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Perhaps this is an individual build issue, as I notice no such behavior in a 2009 Fit Sport AT with ~4500 miles on it. The Fit is the first car with an engine of less than 2 liters displacement that has an AT that actually works the way I expect. All told, I'm very pleased with it.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm experiencing exactly what everyone here has described with my 2010 Fit with automatic transmission. Has anyone recently taken their Fit to a dealership for a diagnosis? Does anyone know if this is the way the Fit normally operates? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
I also have this problem with my 09 Canadian Fit base model. I also notice the transmission shift rather quickly to torque lock-up between shifts when I accelerate slowly. I mean: when it shifts to second, it will shift to O/D then third etc...The only time I find it shifts smoothly is when I accelerate rapidly or when it senses and uphill climb.
Should I switch to synthetic? Bring it to the dealer for a software reflash?
Rick

Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
At 80,000 miles my Fit doesn't really do this anymore. Is there anybody else still experiencing it after, say, 20k miles? I feel like everything just got broken in and is much smoother than it used to be.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
I hardly ever notice this with my '10, but it is there. I may be less sensitive since my last two cars were Chryslers, which did the lunge all the time.

I notice a slightly different sensation wherein the transmission seems to be programmed to not downshift when you come to a rolling stop. The problem is that as soon as you touch the accelerator, if you're not gentle, the car will jerk forward as the transmission finally downshifts. Grrr. Hate that.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I've put about 25K on the car now and it still lurches when coming to a rolling stop. (I started this thread originally) I think I've really just gotten used to it I suppose. It's more pronounced when the engine is cold I find. My wife doesn't really notice it at all, so I suppose some of us are more sensitive to this type of thing than others.

If you're noticing it and it bothers you at all, I would recommend you show it to your dealer next time you're in for service...at least it will be on your record in case any transmission issue ever comes of it. The transmission expert took mine out when I first noticed this and he didn't find it to be a problem - mind you, he did brake more aggressively when coming to a stop which makes it far less noticeable.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
God forbid they make an at that is programmed to be in the right gear should you suddenly decide to start moving again without coming to a full stop.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone tried doing a drain/fill with the new honda atf to see if it improves this, since it mostly happens when cold (and the new atf specifically addressed cold performance)?

I notice this same thing but only at the first stop sign every morning. It seems to engage in first late after stopping quickly, and engages with a light but noticeable thud.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 PM
This is the main reason I bought an MT. My accord did the same thing and just got worse and worse.