2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Need advice on Wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Need advice on Wheels...

So I've got a friend selling mint 17"(x7?) Dronell Power rims, that I believe are +45mm offset (could be +40mm, but i don't think they are, wouldn't want the rims+tires to sit out that far...), and they look like this:

He's also got 2 different sets of tires for me to choose from:
Bridgestone Potenza 215/40/17
Hercules 205/40/17

And he's selling the set for $800. I did a bit of searching around the forums already to try to get some more knowledge on this whole thing (since I'm a newbie to all this wheel stuff) and while I got some info from some posts, most of the posts seem a bit unclear, probably because I don't know too much about this stuff.

So because of that, I've got some questions that maybe some of you guys can help me out with:

1. How do these look? completely opinion based but I'd like some feedback
2. Are 17's with the +45 offset going to look alright on the fit? I'd like to make it clear that I WON'T be lowering my car anytime soon, and i'm not as anal as some of you guys are about the gap between the wheel and the fender. And with that would be anticipating any real problems?
3. Am I better off with the 205's over the 215's? 215's would give me better handling technically, but even with the +45 offset, they're getting a little wide no?
4. Any of you guys have experience or come across these rims? These are straight from Japan, and I'm just curious if 800 is a good, decent or bad deal. I tried looking the rims up but there's little to no info about them on the web, at least where i looked =/

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, if you're going to bash against 17's or wide tires or whatever, please give some practical reasoning to your claim, not just "17's are too big they look dumb" or something like that. Thanks

Last edited by M4psycho; 03-14-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:30 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Eh not my cup of tea. But thats just my opinion Never heard of that brand either, but im not much of a wheel guy.

You should be fine if your on stock height. +45 offset isnt that much

I would go with the 215's as they are the closest to stock tire diameter size.

Try asking in the wheel and tire forum, im sure theyd be more of a help than me.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM
Google is my friend hehehee
D Power Dronell Wheels, Type C-05, TS-05, TS-06,

I thought this quote was interesting:

"Dronell Wheels are designed exclusively for European and Import Cars." :P

Hmmm...18 lbs without tires. Probably looking at maybe 22-23 lbs all together. :/
To answer your question about sizing and problems, you should have no problems at all, especially since you are not planning to lower the vehicle.
Now for some opinion, white wheels are nice and sexy, but hard as hell to keep clean. >_< So up to you.

As far as the tire concern goes, from the link I posted, it seems it only comes in 17x7. So I would then go with the 205 series.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I would go with the Bridgestone tires.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
They look to be a copy of Work Emotions, like everyone else has said 7" +45 at stock height will give you no problems at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Banned
i like em! 800 for a set with tires doesn't sound too bad....

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
They look to be a copy of Work Emotions, like everyone else has said 7" +45 at stock height will give you no problems at all.
According to the one link, these were available (now discontinued) before Work Emotion came out with theirs, so if anything Work Emotion copied them :P

Thanks for the input guys

Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Also, with the smaller offset, I'm likely to see less rubbing + more sticking out of the wheels right? Are there other consequences of having the smaller offset? may it be performance issues or whatever.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
Also, with the smaller offset, I'm likely to see less rubbing + more sticking out of the wheels right? Are there other consequences of having the smaller offset? may it be performance issues or whatever.
If you are not lowered, then no, smaller offset wouldn't cause a problem. But if you are lowered, you run the risk of rubbing against your fenders, which is why some people roll their fenders out.

And this is my opinion, you don't have to follow, but smaller offsets start to look ridiculous if you don't have the right look. So as far as stock look goes.....I wouldn't do anymore than +35. Any more and it'll look like a clown car :P

Last edited by 1FiTpINOY; 03-14-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
+45 is not a low or small offset at all, to the contrary they are big as hell and you will be getting more rim to the inside of the car than to the outside, don't know if you get me. You should not have a problem with them and I think a 205 in x7 rims would be ok. BTW I like em I think a GE could pull off those.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
So I've got a friend selling mint 17"(x7?) Dronell Power rims, that I believe are +45mm offset (could be +40mm, but i don't think they are, wouldn't want the rims+tires to sit out that far...), and they look like this:

He's also got 2 different sets of tires for me to choose from:
Bridgestone Potenza 215/40/17
Hercules 205/40/17

And he's selling the set for $800. I did a bit of searching around the forums already to try to get some more knowledge on this whole thing (since I'm a newbie to all this wheel stuff) and while I got some info from some posts, most of the posts seem a bit unclear, probably because I don't know too much about this stuff.

So because of that, I've got some questions that maybe some of you guys can help me out with:

1. How do these look? completely opinion based but I'd like some feedback
2. Are 17's with the +45 offset going to look alright on the fit? I'd like to make it clear that I WON'T be lowering my car anytime soon, and i'm not as anal as some of you guys are about the gap between the wheel and the fender. And with that would be anticipating any real problems?
3. Am I better off with the 205's over the 215's? 215's would give me better handling technically, but even with the +45 offset, they're getting a little wide no?
4. Any of you guys have experience or come across these rims? These are straight from Japan, and I'm just curious if 800 is a good, decent or bad deal. I tried looking the rims up but there's little to no info about them on the web, at least where i looked =/

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, if you're going to bash against 17's or wide tires or whatever, please give some practical reasoning to your claim, not just "17's are too big they look dumb" or something like that. Thanks

If the wheels are 45mm offset great. The offset is stamped or molded in the back of one of the spokes along with wheel size and possibly BC
The 205/40x17's are bettwer of the two tires because the weight penalty isn't as much and the slightly smaller diameter has less torque penalty, both which penalize mpg and performance that you would see with the 215's.
As for looks, don't ask us there're not our wheels.. but they aren't ugly. asking others about what style wheels you want is like asking your mother what kind of girl to date.
Cheers and enjoy.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
I'd just be a little careful and steer around pot holes. +1 on a rim means -1 (actually 1/2) on tire side wall to absorb nasty hits. I say that, from a guy who knows, if you crunch one and they are no longer available it is rough to sell a set of 3 on ebay