2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Slow throttle response?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:58 AM
Slow throttle response?

I've noticed that when I'm up shifting, let off the throttle and clutch in, the RPM don't seem to drop quickly enough for me. Does that make sense to you guys?

Is there anything I can do that may resolve this "issue"?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Doesnt sound like an issue to me...

How fast would you want it to drop and why would it matter? As soon as you let go of the clutch the rpm will go to whatever its supposed to be in that gear.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
it's not an issue as much it is an annoyance to me.

It feels as though when I depress the clutch, the RPM slightly go up, making shifting a little different from any other manual cars I've driven. I could just take off my foot off the gas a little bit earlier, but adjusting driving habits aren't easy, not to mention when I get into another car, I would have to correct it again.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Even if the rpms do go back up or go down really fast it shouldnt make a difference. The rpm could be at 6800 or 1000 as soon as you let go of the clutch it will go to where its supposed to be. If you really want to make your rpms drop faster in between shifts then tear your drivetrain apart and install a lightweight flywheel.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
what you're noticing is the slight throttle delay because of the drive-by-wire system on the fit's gas pedal. it lags just a tiny bit and may take getting used to for some drivers since the throttle input hangs a tad after you let off the gas pedal. it's definitely not as responsive as the traditional cable system if that's what you're used to but you will adjust your shift timing as you get used to it.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:53 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
thats exactly what it's suppose to do.
it's perfectly normal and nothing you can
do about it but get used to it.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
lightened flywheel should do the trick...

but not sure if any are out yet.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom
what you're noticing is the slight throttle delay because of the drive-by-wire system on the fit's gas pedal. it lags just a tiny bit and may take getting used to for some drivers since the throttle input hangs a tad after you let off the gas pedal. it's definitely not as responsive as the traditional cable system if that's what you're used to but you will adjust your shift timing as you get used to it.
Right, that makes sense. I'm sure I will get used to it, but as of now, it is pretty irritating. Just feels disconnected from what I'm actually doing and what is happening with the car.

If this is an electronics issue, is there possibility for some kind of an electronics update?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by royalflush313
Right, that makes sense. I'm sure I will get used to it, but as of now, it is pretty irritating. Just feels disconnected from what I'm actually doing and what is happening with the car.

If this is an electronics issue, is there possibility for some kind of an electronics update?
Blitz Throttle Controller but they don't make it for your model yet.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
what you're noticing is the slight throttle delay because of the drive-by-wire system on the fit's gas pedal. it lags just a tiny bit
I heard the reasoning behind that is so the engine can burn the rest of the gas (in the chamber?) to make it more fuel efficient.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
It's a rev hang because our cars are synchroed.

Try depressing the clutch, wait like second, and then shift. You should then have no problems. It's something you'll just gave to get used to.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by cab0053
I heard the reasoning behind that is so the engine can burn the rest of the gas (in the chamber?) to make it more fuel efficient.
He's right. If the throttle plate were simply to slam shut (like on most cars), the engine would run very rich for a second. You will notice a hang or even a small bump in rpms when you let off (esp in M/Ts) as the fit motor burns all the fuel to lower emissions and preserve parts.

I just forced myself to get used to it. Hey, I'm saving the f'n planet here.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
it's not an issue as much it is an annoyance to me.

It feels as though when I depress the clutch, the RPM slightly go up, making shifting a little different from any other manual cars I've driven. I could just take off my foot off the gas a little bit earlier, but adjusting driving habits aren't easy, not to mention when I get into another car, I would have to correct it again.
TBW ftl....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by Antpwny
Blitz Throttle Controller but they don't make it for your model yet.
I've been looking into these throttle controller, and have a question.
Do these throttle controller basically open up the throttle to a greater amount when depressing the pedal, giving us the illusion of a better throttle response?

In which case, it wouldn't do anything in regards to the RPM coming down quickly on an upshift?

Looks like both Blitz and Pivot have already released a throttle controller in Japan for the GE8s, I assume these parts would fit without issues on the North American Fits.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
The GD3s have the same problem. I couldn't get used to this so I put a Fidanza 7lb flyweel in. This mod didn't help the problem. I put in a Blitz TC and the problem was gone. Hope this helps you save money.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
I've noticed that when I'm up shifting, let off the throttle and clutch in, the RPM don't seem to drop quickly enough for me. Does that make sense to you guys?

Is there anything I can do that may resolve this "issue"?
this is the fuel map burning off the last of the fuel.
it's something you'll have to get use to. i did but
sometimes i forget after driving my other cars...

Old 03-06-2009, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
you'll get used to it

Old 03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
It is just a different type of shift. My 325i clutch was so much harder, it took forever to get used to.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 PM
so does anyone know if the Blitz or Pivot throttle controller bought from Japan will work for our North American Fits?

Old 03-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i do not cause getting use to the car via the foot is cheaper and more efficient than buying and tapping into the ECU.

Quick Reply: Slow throttle response?