2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit on the Highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Fit on the Highway

Wondering how the fit handles on the highway. I have read that it is twitchy, or pulls to one direction. I once had a CRV 06 that pulled to the right no matter what you did. This was unbearable on long trips and would wear you out quick. I had to fight to keep it out of the ditch. I latter learned that Honda had a lot of issues with this. I did test drive the 09 Fit but it was hard to judge on the Highway. DO you have to constalny recorrect the stearing? Does it pull in one direction if you take your hand off the wheel for a second? Does it track on center or does it feel like you're going to ditch it? Thanks in advance for the help. I love this car but am afraid of comments I've read about highway handling. How does it do on the highway?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
I have the sport, it is fine if there is no strong wind. there is mild road noise, but you can always play your music.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
neither of my 2 gens of Fits ever pulled to one side.
09 is less twitchy on the highway but still corners great.
The steering on these cars is one of my most favorite things about them.
They do react to rather gusty side winds from being rather tall and shorter wheelbase.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Smile SF Trip

We recently drove our 09 Fit to San Francisco from Tucson. We cruised at 75-80 and enjoyed the trip. The cruise control coupled with the AT was a real pleasure.

As you drive more the twitchy sees to disappear.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
read the Edmund's report, they talk about stability in 2-3 of the date entries.

2009 Honda Fit Sport Long-Term Road Tests Blog on Edmunds' Inside Line

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Alignment feels fantastic. My wife too has a '05 CR-V with the same issue you describe (dealer claims it doesn't exist). The difference between the two is night and day.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
I don't notice any pull to the side. Seems to track straight.

I do notice that it feels like it sticks firmly where it's aimed. Maybe even a bit too much. It takes a little effort to make small changes in direction. It seems to be loosening a bit with time though.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by djf36

As you drive more the twitchy sees to disappear.
Yeah prolly because Fit steering is like a precision surgical instrument and many cars are like a dull axe. So you get used to the new found responsive steering pretty quick.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no issues on tracking on either one of mine 08 and 09.

but twitchy. yes. the car does feel a tad nervous when going
expressway speeds.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Sounds to me your CR-V had some alignment issues.

Fit does not pull...tracks straight unless there is a side wind. Then don't expect to go over 65 without holding to the steering wheel with the death grip.
I just lowered my car and it helps tramendously with the side winds and going over 70 on the highway.

I recently was cruising 90mph on the freeway with out a problem in the flat plains of Ohio here (corn fields all around). The key is lowering your center of gravity/ minimizing the uplift under the car (since the fit has a big side profile/ and quite a bit clearance under the car).

After that...I love getting 40 mpg cruising 80ish..ha.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
I drive from California to Colorado 3-4 times a year. No issues here.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Calm day good roads, its a happy highway cruiser. Add wind, and it gets nervous... it seems to not like strong gusty winds much at all.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Committobefit08
Fit does not pull...tracks straight unless there is a side wind. Then don't expect to go over 65 without holding to the steering wheel with the death grip.
I agree, exactly.

I just lowered my car and it helps tramendously with the side winds and going over 70 on the highway.
Must be nice...I drive 90% highway and would enjoy the enhanced highway stability lowering provides. Only problem is I don't want the ride to be any more firm. I wouldn't mind it to be softer as it is. It's all good though, different tires, lower tire pressure, and a bit more break in and things should loosen up just fine. (personal preference)

Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Calm day good roads, its a happy highway cruiser. Add wind, and it gets nervous... it seems to not like strong gusty winds much at all.
+1, my thoughts exactly.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
HID Addict
Originally Posted by Virtual
I don't notice any pull to the side. Seems to track straight.

I do notice that it feels like it sticks firmly where it's aimed. Maybe even a bit too much. It takes a little effort to make small changes in direction. It seems to be loosening a bit with time though.
man am i glad i aint the only one that sees that heh i remember when i started driving this car, the steering seemed stiff, like you coudnt make "soft" turns or just to move it just a teensy bit. but i got over it and got used to it. the same felt for the braking, it felt i coudnt use soft braking just to slow down a teensy bit, but again, i got over it and got used to it.

as for my own opinion, i have NO PROBLEMS driving, talking about alignment. i actually lean my head back on the headrest and keep my thumb on the bottom most part of the wheel. my only complaint is the car shifting in high winds, man thats annoying, but that is because its a small car -shrugs- learned to deal with it heh.

Most likely, if your car is pulling to the left or right, something is wrong with the steering/axels/tires. tires could be worn out more on one side, or "tilting". if you havent brought in the car for alignment (which i assumed you have as commen sense), then you defintatly should

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by reako
I agree, exactly.

Must be nice...I drive 90% highway and would enjoy the enhanced highway stability lowering provides. Only problem is I don't want the ride to be any more firm. I wouldn't mind it to be softer as it is. It's all good though, different tires, lower tire pressure, and a bit more break in and things should loosen up just fine. (personal preference)
I don't notice a big difference in how firm my ride is really maybe just barely stiffer but I did dropped it 1.3" Front 1.8" Back. If you want to go a slight drop but want to keep exactly stock feel I would go with the Tanabe NF210's. I had them on my Acura CL-s and it lowered me down an inch but the ride felt exactly like stock. Handling and high speeds was a lot more comfortable with those as well. Aftermarket shocks too are the key to keep the ride soft with lowering. Do some research there are lots of options to lower your car but maintain or even soften your ride.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
I don't notice a big difference in how firm my ride is really maybe just barely stiffer but I did dropped it 1.3" Front 1.8" Back. If you want to go a slight drop but want to keep exactly stock feel I would go with the Tanabe NF210's. I had them on my Acura CL-s and it lowered me down an inch but the ride felt exactly like stock. Handling and high speeds was a lot more comfortable with those as well. Aftermarket shocks too are the key to keep the ride soft with lowering. Do some research there are lots of options to lower your car but maintain or even soften your ride.
Thanks! I appreciate your input. I'll try and remember the Tanabe NF210's down the line when I'm ready to take "the plunge". Researching upgrade options for the GE8 would be a lot easier if we had a separate forum for each hardware component.

Last edited by reako; 03-03-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 AM
When I initially got my Fit, it felt twitchy, but mainly from the minimal amount of steering input required to affect the direction. After about 400 miles, I don't feel it's an issue, probably because I've adapted to the steering .vs any mechanical changes.

The one place that it *is* twitchy is if you get on a stretch of highway with those damn drainage grooves cut into the road surface parallel to the direction of travel. Then it's quite a handful. I have a Sport with the Bridgestones if it matters.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I just got my new 09 Fit AT sport and drive it on the highway 30 miles a day, plus rec use, and i gotta say it handles very nicely. I would never describe it as shaky, maybe the base model because of the suspension?!?!?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zeekct
Wondering how the fit handles on the highway. I have read that it is twitchy, or pulls to one direction. I once had a CRV 06 that pulled to the right no matter what you did. This was unbearable on long trips and would wear you out quick. I had to fight to keep it out of the ditch. I latter learned that Honda had a lot of issues with this. I did test drive the 09 Fit but it was hard to judge on the Highway. DO you have to constalny recorrect the stearing? Does it pull in one direction if you take your hand off the wheel for a second? Does it track on center or does it feel like you're going to ditch it? Thanks in advance for the help. I love this car but am afraid of comments I've read about highway handling. How does it do on the highway?

The Fit is tall and light so its subject to strong sidewinds.
As log as tire pressures and wheel alignment is proper you won't have handling problems. Way baxck when I had my stock 08 on track at speeds to 100 mph and had zero problems or concerns though at the time I did have aftermarket tires; the Dunslops we removed as soon as we got it home.
The pulling issues are almost always a result of crowned roads where the center of paving is highest in the middlebetween opposing lanes. In that case naturally any car will drift to the right, that being the downhill directio. But its not really pulling.

Quick Reply: Fit on the Highway