2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit on the Highway

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for all the help

Thanks to all who answered my questions so well. After my CRV expereince i have been a bit worried about how other Honda's handle. It is nice to hear that the Fit does not pul to one direction. Many CRV's were known to have this issue which could not be fixed. Honda would not do anything about it even though they claimed that it was fixed. Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
...just got back from a round trip from Virginia Beach, VA to Savannah, GA. The FIT handled like a champ. Smooth, nice ride. My family in the back seat were fine. AC ran great (a bit warm in GA). No problem with road noise, wind, or truckers. Overall very nice trip.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM
dgs
I am very impressed with how well the Fits handles on the freeway. Even though traveling at 80 mph knocks the tach up to about 4,000 rpm you'd never know it because of how quiet it is. Wind and road noise in this car is surprisingly low for an economy car. As a basis for comparison I also own a 2009 Hyundai Sonata V6 Limited and that car is very quiet on the freeway. Going from the Sonata to the Fit I really can't tell much of a difference in noise, which is impressive since my Sonata stickered for $9,000 more than my Fit.

The steering is very accurate, it tracks straight ahead as an arrow. The steering has a heavy feel that makes it feel very substantial. I also love how quick the steering is, a little flick and you're over in the next lane. A heavy substantial feeling combined with very quick reflexes makes for a very fun car to pilot. The car also has decent passing power with no need to downshift as the tach is already pretty high at speeds above 65 mph.

So far so good, right? Strong winds are the enemy of this car though. You better have both hands on the wheel if you're driving on a windy day because the Fit is severly affected by crosswinds. A cop driving behind you would think you're drunk driving on a windy day, as you fight with the wheel to keep the car going straight. I have never driven a car so badly affected by the wind. It must be a combination of a very light car combined with a tall body that gives it a lot of surface area to blow around. Scary stuff, but it certainly means you won't fall asleep behind the wheel on a windy day!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Ten-hour round trip to Chicago yesterday. Windy and rain the entire distance, with a few thunderstorm cells.

When the wind blows I have to concentrate to keep the car from drifting. I don't notice getting tossed around by trucks, but the car will weathervane in gusty crosswinds.

No hydroplaning (I watch my speed and tire pressures) and no VSA light. Good traction, even in the wet. Saw two overturned SUVs on I-80. That's the normal quota, I guess.

Also--I noticed a 4 mpg difference (at the pump, not the indicator on the car) between a headwind component (northeast bound) and a tailwind.

On the plus side--Chicago stayed home yesterday. Speed limit all the way on the expressways. What a relief. Interstate 80 across Illinois is very rough in places. The Fit will go right over the bumps without upsetting the car, but you sure feel every one of them in the Sport.

All in all, the Fit is a terrific little highway cruiser. Point it, set the cruise control, and let naviwoman tell us how to get there. I really like programming the navi by entering phone numbers rather than addresses. Great idea!

Cheers.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Like a Sopwith Camel, you really have to fly the airplane all the time when you drive a Fit at highway speed. It isn't overly troubled by crosswinds and trucks, but you do have to pay attention. If you want a car you can steer with one hand loosely draped over the wheel, better look for an old Lincoln Town Car.
As small cars go, it really is a great little car, but it is a LITTLE car.
Moon

Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Like a Sopwith Camel, you really have to fly the airplane all the time when you drive a Fit at highway speed. It isn't overly troubled by crosswinds and trucks, but you do have to pay attention. If you want a car you can steer with one hand loosely draped over the wheel, better look for an old Lincoln Town Car.
As small cars go, it really is a great little car, but it is a LITTLE car.
Moon
It does feel short-coupled--never flew the Sopwith, but have flown a lot of airplanes like that.

Good analogy.

Cheers.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
It does feel short-coupled--never flew the Sopwith, but have flown a lot of airplanes like that.

Good analogy.

Cheers.
Never flew the Sopwith either , but I do know short-coupled. Learned to drive in Beetles, and the Fit shares garage space with a SWB Wrangler.
OTOH, my bride's Passat is more like an SE4a, about as stable as a thing can be. I STILL keep two hands on the wheel. Maybe it's just me...
Moon

Old 03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
I have 09 base, and no problems on highway. The base (not sport) supposedly lacks the spoiler kits which gives it a slight aerodynamic edge. I don't feel any more tossable than my previous 03 mazda6.

As for pulling to one side or another, it's due to inproper alignment, or different tire pressures. Or crowns on some highway roads, if you're in the right lane of a 2 lane road, it drifts right, and left side drifts left due to gravity. More noticeable at higher speeds of course.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by neteng101
Calm day good roads, its a happy highway cruiser. Add wind, and it gets nervous... it seems to not like strong gusty winds much at all.
Yea I had to make corners or slight turns holding on the wheel quite tightly... with strong winds and at high speeds... it was noisy as hell!!
had to jack the music way up