2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

3800 miles later... the wife's Base vs. my Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by whyzor
good post, looking forward to future updates! I'm surprised the mileages are similar, EPA estimates give the base about a 2 mpg edge due to its less sporty gearing.
Hm, I think the transmissions are identical, so the gearing between the modes is the same too.

Or am I missing something?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TKZ12NO1
....But...One of these days maybe I'll get together with FitStir and we'll trade Fits and drive back to back to really see if the roof did anything other than give me a whole lot of daylight.

Eric
I didn't even see this post till just now... definitely will do.

If I didn't get laid off, the sunroof mod and right side JDM seat swap with leather wrapped seats mod would have been in the near future. I probably wouldn't get the sky roof you got (cause they don't make it anymore ) but I would get as big of a sunroof as I could fit.

After explaining how the skyroof was put it, I would tend to think it made the car more rigid/stable. The extra bracing and rigidity of glass I think helped. If anything it might have made it a little top heavy, I'm thinking a slight drop would help handling, maybe the extra weight is making it feel a little bit more harsh, but it might have stabilized the handling by making it less bouncy.
Then again I am not a mechanic or engineer...

As I told you Eric when I first got my GE8 5MT Sport Navi I felt the ride a little bouncier compared to the GD3's I test drove. After almost 5,000 miles it feels less bouncier I guess the springs/shocks settled in or something. Since I got it I've felt the ride sometimes harsh, but I think it has absolutely nothing to do with our cars, I think its the horrible roads in the NYC area. This spring is one of the worst, bumpy uneven roads, potholes, uneven patchwork; NYC needs a major road infrastructure overhaul!!!

After my 5k miles I like the handling better, I still would like it a little more grippier with the road maybe a slight drop and better tires in the future, but with these nasty roads, and me loading up the car with equipment, I'm gonna wait till they fix the roads. All that said, I love my car more and more everyday. I look for reasons to drive it, that's why I haven't been on as much.

Good review btw.

Last edited by FitStir; 05-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
I didn't even see this post till just now... definitely will do.
Let me know when you want to come out, and I'll find us some nice roads to drive on.

Eric

Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Seriously people, drive a Mini Cooper S with the sport package (sport suspension and 17 inch run flats) and you'll be running back to the fit.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I'd like to thank the OP for giving us this unique perspective on the fit. I believe that someone already replied to it but the difference in suspension feel is the size of the tire.The base model sidewall is 65 and the sport is 55. 10mm makes a noticeable difference. Tires provide dampening too.

To the OP, did you notice any more body roll when you installed the sunroof? Just seems like a lot of glass at the highest point of the car. Looks awesome, tho. Great mod.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Abner
I'd like to thank the OP for giving us this unique perspective on the fit. I believe that someone already replied to it but the difference in suspension feel is the size of the tire.The base model sidewall is 65 and the sport is 55. 10mm makes a noticeable difference. Tires provide dampening too.

To the OP, did you notice any more body roll when you installed the sunroof? Just seems like a lot of glass at the highest point of the car. Looks awesome, tho. Great mod.
Thanks for the kind words.
With about 5400 miles or so on the car, the suspension has settled in nicely. Or maybe the tires got more compliant? Who knows. The sport is riding well. My wife is enjoying her base.

Any difference between handling before and after the sunroof install is miniscule. I don't detect any difference, given the kind of driving I do. I do notice that the car is great with the roof open and the windows down. Cools off the interior in a big hurry. Less need for A/C.

Sometimes I think I was nuts for putting such a big hole in the car, but nothing beats it when it's open, the radio's on, and the fresh air and sunshine flow in. My wife's base now induces a claustrophobic reaction when I'm in it.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Abner

The difference is actually 12 mm.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
The difference is actually 12 mm.
Yup 65 and 55 aren't absolute heights - they are percentages of the width...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Same suspension but I think the Sport has an extra bar in the rear.
Correct. Both have a 22mm front sway bar, but only the Sport has a 17mm rear sway bar. Rear sway bars make a HUGE difference in handling. Going from a 14mm to a 22mm rear sway in my old Integra made a big difference.