2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Yakima Rack on 09 Fit, track + control tower

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Yakima Rack on 09 Fit, track + control tower

I'm considering install the Yakima track and control tower on my 09 Fit.

I don't want to go with the Q Tower system, because I want something that's easilly removable when I don't need it, to cut down on noise and gas consumption. The Q Tower is a bit pain to put on and take off, I had one for years. A friend of mine installed the track and control tower on his Civic, and it takes him 30 seconds to take the rack off, leaving only the tracks, and four little landing pads that do not stick up very much at all. With the rack off, the tracks and landing pads make no difference in gas mileage and wind noise. Yeah, I know this is a permanent installtion.

My big concern is exactly where on the roof to drill for the plusnuts. I read a thread here with detailed instruction that someone did for an 08 Fit, down to the exact placement holes to drill. Has anyone installed the tracks for 09 Fit, or know a place online that has the details? If I could do this without peeling back the headliners, I rather not. Seems like peeling back headliners is asking for them to get loose down the road.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
the Q towers take all of 3 minutes to install and remove. And that's if you are retarded. Once you have the original fitment taken care of all you need to do is make a mark where the q towers clamps to your door jamb with a small piece of tape or a sharpie and you can put it to the spec marks in no time. All you do is open all four doors, set the Qclips to the sharpie mark, and close the doors, pull the clamps down, and lock it. We unloaded the fit this weekend in the rain, and we had the roofrack off in under 30 seconds. You are gonna make it a lot more work than it should be. If you mark the q-clip location you will never spend more than 3-4 minutes putting it back on.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
5 Year Member
Yea I put some tape on the door frame to mark where to go and its super easy to remove and install.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
the Q towers take all of 3 minutes to install and remove. And that's if you are retarded.

If you mark the q-clip location you will never spend more than 3-4 minutes putting it back on.
Gotta completely agree. I can get the rack off in about 2 minutes, and I have the Q-locks which adds another minute to the process. I can't see the appeal of drilling holes in a brand new car, and potentially killing the resale value, to save a couple of minutes when you have to remove the rack...

Check the other Yakima thread, for mine I have the roof and door jambs 'marked out' with clear Xpel tape to protect the paint. It's 99% invisible, the rack doesn't chafe the paint, and best of all, no holes to drill.