2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Mandatory options

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Mandatory options

Oxymoron? You bet.

I'm very happy with my new Fit, but the dealer experience was a little less satisfying. The dealers in my province force some options down your throat. Basically they throw them on all cars that come in so you can't find one without. This what they make you buy:

Winter package:
- block heater - no-brainer requirement for our climate
- all-weather floor mats - nice, but pricey; would rather spend a fraction at Cdn Tire
- rear splash guards - nice, but not essential
- cargo tray - was going to buy this anyway
- wheel locks - not interested
===> total cost $573

Security etching - didn't want this either ===> $299

Total extras ===> $872

Now I got a decent discount to offset these costs, but of course, I'd be happier to get the discount and only the options I actually wanted.

Sure some of you will say, well, you could have ordered a car and demand they don't install that stuff . . . the dealers' answer to that was "The Fit is in high demand so if you don't want to pay for them, the next guy will. Take it or leave it."

So I wanted the Fit and gave in. I give the car high marks; the dealers, not so much. Anyone else have "mandatory" options, esp. in Canada?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by eddie777
Oxymoron? You bet.

I'm very happy with my new Fit, but the dealer experience was a little less satisfying. The dealers in my province force some options down your throat. Basically they throw them on all cars that come in so you can't find one without. This what they make you buy:

Winter package:
- all-weather floor mats - nice, but pricey; would rather spend a fraction at Cdn Tire
===> total cost $573

Total extras ===> $872

Now I got a decent discount to offset these costs, but of course, I'd be happier to get the discount and only the options I actually wanted.

Sure some of you will say, well, you could have ordered a car and demand they don't install that stuff . . . the dealers' answer to that was "The Fit is in high demand so if you don't want to pay for them, the next guy will. Take it or leave it."

So I wanted the Fit and gave in. I give the car high marks; the dealers, not so much. Anyone else have "mandatory" options, esp. in Canada?
Wow! What a crew-job you get in Canada!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
nothing is mandatory.
you could have just as easily said i want to
order one with out all that stuff.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Never pay for stuff you do not want. They pulled same BS on me and I got up and started walking towards the door. It was quickly dropped from the price of the car.

Last edited by Bustov; 02-21-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
ask them to remove it, or throw it in for free.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in Canada too and they didn't pull that on me. I got my Fit exactly the way I wanted it.

Go to another dealer.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I got the same BS. The dealer "installed" all-weather floor mats, a cargo tray mat, mudflaps, a pinstripe, and door edge guards. 1200 US dollars! So we really griped about it and they gave us the "package" for 600 dollars instead. I priced out all the stuff if bought separately and it came to like, 300 bucks, so we still got ripped off.
Bright side is, I always thought door edge guards were dorky, so I never would have bought them on my own. The other day I opened my door right into a concrete thing at the gas station, and that stupid little piece of plastic actually did its job, saving me a really unsightly ding/gouge. So I figure I'm even.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
yessir!! got the same BS from one on the dealerships. they wanted to give me a FIT with carpet floor mats, centre arm consol, cargo mat, cargo cover, and wheel lock. i did want all these accessories but i dipped n went to another dealership which offered me the same exact accessories except the center arm consol but they only had it in Blackberry Pearl, not the color i was looking for.

i ended up going to ANOTHER dealership n picked up a '09 Blue Sensational Pearl W/ NAVI fot 18000 OTD n it all it came with was wheel locks. after i though about it, i really didn't want the other accessories right away. ill probably pick them up in a few months

Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by FittJedi
I got the same BS. The dealer "installed" all-weather floor mats, a cargo tray mat, mudflaps, a pinstripe, and door edge guards. 1200 US dollars! So we really griped about it and they gave us the "package" for 600 dollars instead. I priced out all the stuff if bought separately and it came to like, 300 bucks, so we still got ripped off.
Bright side is, I always thought door edge guards were dorky, so I never would have bought them on my own. The other day I opened my door right into a concrete thing at the gas station, and that stupid little piece of plastic actually did its job, saving me a really unsightly ding/gouge. So I figure I'm even.
I never park next to people with door edge guards...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by FittJedi
I never park next to people with door edge guards...

Oops, double posted - sorry.

Last edited by rosswond; 02-22-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eddie777
Oxymoron? You bet.

Winter package:
===> total cost $573

Total extras ===> $872

Then they wouldn't have given you the discount and your cost would be the same. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
werd how your dealer did not offer snow tires in your area
as WINTER PACKAGE...!!!

that is a necessity in canada... i know from experience.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
Then they wouldn't have given you the discount and your cost would be the same. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
Perhaps. My thought going into negotiations was to take what I could get. From experience I knew that dealers preferred to give accessories away rather than lower the price. Accessories have MSRP value to the customer, but the dealer is only out the cost. So it's sort of win-win. A cash discount comes right off the profit, and dealers hate that. Originally, I hoped to get some off sticker and get some stuff thrown in. The truth is, I got a bigger discount than expected, but then got more "mandatory accessories" tacked on. If I hadn't gotten much off, I would have been really ticked. As is stands, I'm just a little annoyed.

Could I have had my cake and eaten it too? On a poor selling model, probably, on an 09 Fit, likely not.

But I'm sure there's some people on this board who feel they got a great deal . . .

Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
werd how your dealer did not offer snow tires in your area
as WINTER PACKAGE...!!!

that is a necessity in canada... i know from experience.

Good point. I should feel relieved then since that would have been another $600+ easily. As it stands, I can go anywhere I want for winter tires now.

I think only Quebec makes winters mandatory but I'm betting several other provinces (including mine) aren't far behind.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM
My dealer pre-installed the following for the low-low price of only $1995. (As listed on the sticker.)

-Door edge guards
-Wheel well guards
-Pinstriping

2 grand for that crap? No, I don't think so. Fortunately, I had no idea that stuff was even on the car before I negotiated a deal through an online program. They pretty much made that free which is just as well since it probably cost them all of $30 to do that. While bouncing prices in between 2 dealers, the one I bought from offered to include the "valuble" paint protectant. Guess what? That was already on the car when I got there as well. No matter what, dealers will try to sham you for some worthless thing.

And that is okay if you don't park next to me, rosswond. But if you do just remember I didn't ask to have those guards installed.