2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield Crack!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
How's the clarity of the new windshield? I've had windshields replaced, but the clarity of the glass seemed slightly "wavy" when looking out from the inside of the car. Must've been crappy quality.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Mine has had a few chips. I only have 1 car I have never replaced a windshield on and it has 375k miles on it. What's the chances of that

Old 03-13-2009, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
I had the glass guy come to my house to replace the windshield on my 2009 Fit Sport. It looks exactly the same except it is made by PGW instead of Honda the whole thing cost exactly $315.00. I was quoted $215.00, however he called a couple of days before the job and said that he had made a mistake and it was a hundred dollars more. The Clarity is just fine I do not see any difference at all.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
I had the windshield replaced on my 07 about a year ago. If I remember correctly it cost me about $300.
Edit: make that 2 years ago....... Damn my car is old =(
Here is a link to pixtures of the damage on mine: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/general-fit-talk/12017-i-think-i-chipped-rock-my-window.HTML

Last edited by rushlow; 03-13-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Here in AZ, there are always trucks on the highway throwing rocks. We've had 3 or 4 windshields replaced on our Sienna, and 5 or 6 on our previous van. I knew it was just a matter of time for my new Fit.

I was returning to Phoenix from Flagstaff last week on I-17 in the Fit, passing a line of huge military vehicles (looked like some kind of missile carriers) with 4' tall lugged wheels. I got to the last one and BAM!! huge rock hit on the passenger side of the windshield. It hit so hard that the interior resonated like a drum, I even ducked instinctively. When I looked over, I was certain I was going to see a baseball-sized hole in the windshield. Instead, I saw two dust trails on the windshield where the rock had hit and disintegrated, and no cracks at all! I stopped at the next exit and examined it, just two scuffs in the glass, no cracks.

That's one tough windshield.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:54 AM
rushlow - that's a he|| of a hit! Buddy of mine had a Yukon that took a rock like that on the passenger side, softball-sized, nearly came through.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:55 AM
just had mine replaced yesterday for $450 sigh...... I was gonna go thru insurance but I did have a write off in Sept 08 so trying to stay clear from whatever I can but ya I went to honda and Speedy Auto Glass Honda qouted $1300 for the glass and $550 for the PGW all that's missing is the Honda logo etched in the glass and that was back ordered apparently and Speedy said it'll be roughly $1500+tax installed

Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dman
How's the clarity of the new windshield? I've had windshields replaced, but the clarity of the glass seemed slightly "wavy" when looking out from the inside of the car. Must've been crappy quality.
No issues here. Clear as can be. Installed a sun strip to block the sun a little. Our windshields are huge.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by aznwizkidz
It was Raining today while i was driving on the freeway. And apparently a little pebble sized rock hit the very left side of the my windshield. And it made a huge long crack. I did not notice it till i went to fill up my Fit with gas when i saw this huge long line across my windshield. I am really sad right now. I put tape over it to it wouldn't get contaminated.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what i should do? Should i call Honda to see if it is under waranty or get it replaced by Honda or Call one of those windshield repair shops to fix the crack with a sealent?

The crack is in the line of driving vision for me. What should i do??
damn sorry to hear tat... the same thing happened to me too when i was on the I-5 but luckily it just pinged the metal part of the wiper... but then actually I noticed later the the front bumper had a deep chip in it too... but I was driving behind this big construction truck... so hopefully everyone will be careful as well

Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM
So i called a windshield replacement shop today and found the cheapest one which was 291 including tax and labor. But I thought that was too cheap so i asked if this was for the 2009 model. They kept saying it will fit for 2006 to 2009 models. I kept arguing saying that is the wrong windshield but they insisted it would fit. So i said ok fine, bring it over. They did and they ended up being wrong. Turns out it was for the previous model. So they called back and said that they woud replace it for 700 through honda. I said i would think about it because i saw some windshield prices online on those honda parts websites and they said its about 400 dollars. So i am thinking if i should just buy that windshield and ask someone to install it for me to be on the safe side. Plus when they called the 2nd time about the new windshield, they said i have to replace the molding. Has that been true in anyone's case so far? I thought they were just trying to get my business but they said Honda said i need to replace it. Is that so? The comany name is American Auto Glass. Has anyone tried that company yet?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
get the OE glass, not some cheezo replica. cheezo replicas have that werd contour and your vision will always be disturbed/distracted by it. plus it has that cheap blue-ish
hue.

use your insurance too.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
The molding should be replaced if it is worn or if it is damaged during the removal of the windshield. It costs about $30 from the dealer. IMHO I would replace it because something may happen when they try to remove the old molding, i.e. tear or break. In my case, I had insurance pay for it so the molding was replaced regardless. My installer could have re-used my old molding, but we used the new one instead. Better safe than sorry!

My dealer had glass from AGC and PGW.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:49 AM
I finally got the windshield replaced. I got the PGW brand one. It cost me 395 total including the molding and labor. They did a pretty good job. Looks exactly like the Honda one. Can't tell that much of a difference. Overall good job!

Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Same exact thing happened to me, just 3 days ago. Hit about half an inch away from the trimming and now its about 2 feet in front of my field of view. I am starting to wonder. The pebble did not even make a mark

Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, this thread makes me reconsider the decision to skip full auto glass coverage. Which is about $36 more per year in addition to comprehensive coverage. Thanks for the info guys.