2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

'09 Fit in March Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Post '09 Fit in March Consumer Reports

Highs - Fuel economy, handling, space utilization, cargo flexibility, crash-test results

Lows - Ride, road noise, fit and finish, headlights

"The Fit seems roomier on the inside than you might expect, with an interior that is unusually versatile and flexible. It has easy cabin access and a panoramic view out. It also comes well equipped and has comfortable seating. Lightness and agility make it fun to drive, the powertrain is smooth and willing, and fuel economy is enviable. Road noise is pronounced, though, and the ride is a little choppy, especially in the Sport version. Reliability is likely to be very good."

Looking at the table where they give the ratings, the only thing it did poorly on was "Headlights". Their comment was "Low beams give insufficient forward illumination. High beams project farther but are dimmer close in."

All in all, and as expected, it was Recommended and sits atop the subcompact hatchback ratings.

Last edited by txmatt; 01-29-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
I have no idea what they're talking about with the headlights. And reliability only "very good"?? Why not excellent? I don't think there was ever a Honda rated by CR to be anything less than excellent. They don't even comment on the great steering. Typical CR. Thanks for the report anyway.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 PM
I wonder if they perform any adjustment before testing. Many of us have found the lights come aimed a little low from the factory. I know mine were. After adjustment, I've been pretty pleased with the headlight performance.

re steering... "Quick, direct steering and very little body lean aid the Fit's eager cornering abilities."

re reliability... What I typed above is from their first paragraph which is kinda an overview. There they used the words "very good." In the ratings table, though, the Fit gets a solid red circle for "Pedicted Reliability" which does translate to "Excellent".

Last edited by txmatt; 01-29-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I wonder if they perform any adjustment before testing. Many of us have found the lights come aimed a little low from the factory. I know mine were. After adjustment, I've been pretty pleased with the headlight performance.

re steering... "Quick, direct steering and very little body lean aid the Fit's eager cornering abilities."

re reliability... What I typed above is from their first paragraph which is kinda an overview. There they used the words "very good." In the ratings table, though, the Fit gets a solid red circle for "Pedicted Reliability" which does translate to "Excellent".
They obviously are comparing the headlamps to airport landing lights, or something. Because I am so impressed with the headlamps myself. Makes it seem like the old car of mine used a couple of tea light candles to illuminate the small space of about two feet in front of me.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:30 AM
A quick perusal of a new CR auto edition showed a half red circle for reliability, tho' there was no reason given for the downgrade.
They did cite 'impressive crash performance'. +1 on the lights; I am really satisfied, tho' I did adjust 'em up.
Moon

Old 01-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
They obviously are comparing the headlamps to airport landing lights, or something. Because I am so impressed with the headlamps myself. Makes it seem like the old car of mine used a couple of tea light candles to illuminate the small space of about two feet in front of me.

LOL ur headlights reminds me of my old mazda 626

Old 01-30-2009, 02:41 AM
typically first year's car from a new generation tends to have some rough edges. so CR naturally rates its reliability half red circle (good, but not excellent). w/ more data coming in it should become a solid red circle. my Fit has been doing great. minor rattles only exist in the beginning in a very cold day.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
The headlights do suck. When you turn on the high beams. You lose the coverage in front of the car. It does not help that the fog lights are off too when the high beams are on. Another problem with a single hi-low beam bulb is wattage. It's only 55W in low. While in a two bulbs setup, the low beam is 65W.

My last car was a Civic with separate hi and low headlights. The low beams would still stay on even if the hi beams are on. I noticed the Fit's light deficiency right way during first night.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ein
The headlights do suck. When you turn on the high beams. You lose the coverage in front of the car. It does not help that the fog lights are off too when the high beams are on. Another problem with a single hi-low beam bulb is wattage. It's only 55W in low. While in a two bulbs setup, the low beam is 65W.

My last car was a Civic with separate hi and low headlights. The low beams would still stay on even if the hi beams are on. I noticed the Fit's light deficiency right way during first night.
If we didn't need fog lights, (and I don't have them on my base at all), could some other kind of light be put in the fog light spot?

Something that doesn't draw a lot of energy, so I guess that would be LED? And that would stay on when high beams are used, so as NOT to lose coverage?

Sort of like additional daytime running lights?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
CR seems to have gotten it pretty good this time. i cant argue with those comments either.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I have no idea what they're talking about with the headlights. And reliability only "very good"?? Why not excellent? I don't think there was ever a Honda rated by CR to be anything less than excellent. They don't even comment on the great steering. Typical CR. Thanks for the report anyway.

I second that. I thought the headlights were very good stock. I was amazed how bright and clear the brights were.

CR always seems to leave important things out of their reviews. I usually am not impressed with CR.

I guess they have to nit pick something so it can't be perfect...but we all know... Just like they said...it is obviously the #1 subcompact hatchback in ratings.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Just adding another opinion that I was not impressed with the headlight output...adjusting them up did help. Ultimately I switched them out to HID's... Thanks for posting the review!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by reako
Just adding another opinion that I was not impressed with the headlight output...adjusting them up did help. Ultimately I switched them out to HID's... Thanks for posting the review!
I've been pretty opposed to retrofitting halogen reflector headlight housings with HID kits for reason that have been rehashed many times.

That said, what is your impression of the HID's in the '09 headlamps? Have you had any issue with people flashing their brights at you? Did you have to readjust the headlamps back down to minimize glare? How is the light distribution on the road: pretty smooth or are there visible bright/hot spots in the illuminated area?

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
Highs - Fuel economy, handling, space utilization, cargo flexibility, crash-test results

Lows - Ride, road noise, fit and finish, headlights
If I may ask, what explanation do they give for dinging the Fit for fit and finish? From what I understand, other reviews have found the car to be typically-Honda-excellent in this regard.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
Found something on the Reliability info:

" A consumer-driven Rating

Our reliability data are based on a subscriber survey and are not derived from Consumer Reports' vehicle testing. From the survey, we derive a reliability history for 10 model years as well as our forecast of how 2009 models will probably hold up. This predicted-reliability Rating is based on a model's overall reliability for the newest three model years, provided the 2009 version hasn't significantly changed. If a model was new or redesigned in that time frame, we might use just one or two years of data. In rare instances, we make a prediction for a redesigned model if the manufacturer's and model's histories are outstanding. "

Source:
Reliability trends, reliability findings

And I posted this same link already, that has the reliability ratings:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/Reliability.jpg

I'm GUESSING that they carry over the Reliability ratings to the regular auto reviews???

It mostly appears to be things that buyers rate, and for the 2009, it says it was based on the 2008 model year. I do not know if that information was updated for the newer article.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
I read one report that said there was excessive body roll due to a high center of gravity... I have to find it but that was just about it word for word

Old 01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by DrKev
If I may ask, what explanation do they give for dinging the Fit for fit and finish? From what I understand, other reviews have found the car to be typically-Honda-excellent in this regard.
"Cheap, hard plastics trim the otherwise stylish interior. Although the panels fit well, some have sharp edges and mold flash."

Old 01-30-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saveacivic
I read one report that said there was excessive body roll due to a high center of gravity... I have to find it but that was just about it word for word
I've seen that before, but it always seems to depend on who is doing the reviewing.

Car and Driver for the 2007 model:
" What truly set the Fit apart was its handling — not a pretense of handling but the real deal, with springs and struts that allowed one gentle rebound and no more, the only car here that felt happy storming the switchbacks. We later confirmed this when the Fit sailed through our lane-change test 6 mph faster than anything else here — faster, in fact, than a Corvette Z06."

Source:
2007 Dodge Caliber vs. Honda Fit, and Five More Hatchbacks - Station Wagons/Comparison Test/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver''

Ooops, and compare with this person's review of the 2008:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...touring-s.html

Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 PM
What, pray tell, is mold flash?

Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by DrKev
What, pray tell, is mold flash?
It's an extra bit of plastic, usually on the edge of a molded plastic part, that comes from plastic seeping out of the mold shape (between the dies or whatever). Ideally this wouldn't happen and/or the parts would be finished such that it is smooth.

Quick Reply: '09 Fit in March Consumer Reports