2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

JDM turn signal mirror covers on a GE8? Anyone do it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 AM
JDM turn signal mirror covers on a GE8? Anyone do it yet?

So I really want to order these but I don't know how involved the install will be. Koolkev gave me the basic run down of it but I have no idea how I would take the door panels off or anything like that. Total noob here. With instructions I'm fine but I know they don't come with any.

So has anyone installed these yet? If so pics!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
I've been very close to ordering, just keep looking at the dollar/yen rate and it has been sucky this last month. Man it has got to bounce back I'd think.

I bought the Helm 3 day for $10 online service manuals, and printed out 200 pages including the door panel removal and wiring diagrams.
They have some amazing animations too.
Id help further but too many pages to scan and host somewhere. Not worth it cuz all you gotta do is spend 10 bucks and you will have it all for yourself + 1000 times more

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...helm-pass.html

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tork
I've been very close to ordering, just keep looking at the dollar/yen rate and it has been sucky this last month. Man it has got to bounce back I'd think.

I bought the Helm 3 day for $10 online service manuals, and printed out 200 pages including the door panel removal and wiring diagrams.
They have some amazing animations too.
Id help further but too many pages to scan and host somewhere. Not worth it cuz all you gotta do is spend 10 bucks and you will have it all for yourself + 1000 times more

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...helm-pass.html
Looking it over, is there wiring there for them on the US model or do you have to run it through the door wire connectors and pass it through the firewall and connect the wires to the turn signals up front? I'm jsut trying to figure out how much work it will be and if I should just goto a shop. I emailed an Ebay user that purchased them and he just had it done professionally since it seems very involved.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by mikejet
Looking it over, is there wiring there for them on the US model or do you have to run it through the door wire connectors and pass it through the firewall and connect the wires to the turn signals up front? I'm jsut trying to figure out how much work it will be and if I should just goto a shop. I emailed an Ebay user that purchased them and he just had it done professionally since it seems very involved.
This mod is next on my list, so I have been doing some thinking about the wiring. I *believe* you have to run your wires down, through the existing door gromments, and over to the turn signal switch on the steering column. Or follow that turn-signal harness from the ignition switch to the kick-panel, and tie in there. I haven't tested wires yet, but I don't see why you couldn't just tie in at one of these two locations?

The door panels are super easy to take apart - I'm more worried about pulling the actual mirror apart. I've never done that.

This should be one of the easiest mods out there *if* the covers and LEDs actually fit in our mirrors without modification. And when I say 'fit' I mean with no gaps or holes, nothing falling off... I want a 100% OEM fit / finish or I'd rather not do the mod.

Last edited by tobey457; 01-29-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by tobey457
This mod is next on my list, so I have been doing some thinking about the wiring. I *believe* you have to run your wires down, through the existing door gromments, and over to the turn signal switch on the steering column. Or follow that turn-signal harness from the ignition switch to the kick-panel, and tie in there. I haven't tested wires yet, but I don't see why you couldn't just tie in at one of these two locations?

The door panels are super easy to take apart - I'm more worried about pulling the actual mirror apart. I've never done that.

This should be one of the easiest mods out there *if* the covers and LEDs actually fit in our mirrors without modification. And when I say 'fit' I mean with no gaps or holes, nothing falling off... I want a 100% OEM fit / finish or I'd rather not do the mod.
I think it should fit perfectly from the way it looks. I guess the best way is to see if the part numbers for the actual mirror housing that the outer shell attaches to matched the part number here. If it does then there shouldn't be an issue. I know the knock off ones don't fit perfectly but the genuine Honda ones should.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I have a set of these mirrors that I've yet to install (waiting for a tutorial). If anyone needs some photos feel free to contact me and I'll post them here.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by mc786030
I have a set of these mirrors that I've yet to install (waiting for a tutorial). If anyone needs some photos feel free to contact me and I'll post them here.
Did you get them from Ebay with the wiring harness attached?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Yep, these were the OEM ones from eBay. There are two yellow wires for each signal light. Has anyone had success with installing these yet?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm going to be ordering mine in about a month. I know if I was patient enough and took a day I could probably do it but I'll probably have a shop do it. I messaged a guy on Ebay who had them installed and he had a shop do it. Not sure of the pricing.

He did say they are a perfect fit on the US models.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
wish I didnt have to work all weekend and leave for out of town early week.

here is basically what it is, with the japanese dealer ebay guy you get the little 2 wire pig tail.

String the extended wire pair through the door into side of the dash/ kick panel area

put one wire of each door to ground (but with led's if one wire to ground doesnt work, just reverse it)

find the left and right turn signal wires at the flasher(or under the hood even at the wire for the front turn signal bulbs), not the turn signal switch

I will be able to help with the last point when I get time

Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm more worried about pulling the mirror apart, now that I think of it the only thing I haven't pulled apart on a car is a power mirror. Where would you start? The inner door panel is definitely coming off to run the wiring, but do you need to do that, then take the whole mirror assembly off to get the painted mirror cover off? From the diagram link below, it looks like it just clips on? I'd like to pull a cover off just to compare it to the picture below.

Also, if you look at the diagram here:

Honda Automotive Parts

and this picture:

The bottom mounting tabs for the covers look slightly different. Kinda hard to tell without having both pieces right in front of you, but that inside corner tab looks different to me.

Too many people are satisfied with a half-ass job, and I really don't want to go through the trouble if these don't fit 100%. Not 98%. I'd buy a set today and have them in by next weekend, and running, but I don't want to be the test mule if they don't fit perfectly.

Last edited by tobey457; 02-01-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Possible money saving tip.........

Looks like they are standard and the same on the new insight which is out in April, which means you could order them here in the states from Bernardi or College hills......and at a discount!
so the only issue, will insight colors all be the same as fit?
Actually that answer looks to be no, but a good chance some of them will be the same.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Bump! Has anyone done this yet?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
The guy on Ebay that had these hasn't had them for a while now...

Old 03-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Retired Moderator
I know how to do this... I'm in the middle of doing mine.. .... just waiting for the mirror assy' to come back from the painter.. and I will have a DIY for you all and a DIY for those that want to wire up the folding/heated mirror option as well..

Old 03-04-2009, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
The guy on Ebay that had these hasn't had them for a while now...
yeah Nori has really dropped the ball with his ebay items Guess the Yen to dollar has made his prices so high he figures there is no need to waste time ATM.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
I know how to do this... I'm in the middle of doing mine.. .... just waiting for the mirror assy' to come back from the painter.. and I will have a DIY for you all and a DIY for those that want to wire up the folding/heated mirror option as well..
Will you be able to provide the mirrors? Looks like Ebay is a no go for legit turn signals.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
Nice! Thanks!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

Thats good news for us!! Ive been dying to get these on my car for a while now.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
yeah Nori has really dropped the ball with his ebay items Guess the Yen to dollar has made his prices so high he figures there is no need to waste time ATM.
If you message Nori he will put it up for you. Same pricing as before. I was able to use my 10% Paypal coupon so I'm all set. Should get it by next Friday. Well, probably Thursday, sucks he only ships once a week.

Quick Reply: JDM turn signal mirror covers on a GE8? Anyone do it yet?