2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I wish the Fit had a fuel door lock/release

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Stormtrooper
hehe I was making a joke. The car is what it is, its an economy car at the end of the day I feel like people over look this fact when pointing stuff like this out...
My last Honda was an ultra economy car: base model without even a cd/tape player with a total cost of literally $12,000. It had a fuel door lock/release.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
My last Honda was an ultra economy car: base model without even a cd/tape player with a total cost of literally $12,000. It had a fuel door lock/release.
welp we have a Ipod/MP3 player jack now you know where the money went to

Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I had most of that crap on our 2003 Acura TL. The Fit is a better car for what it is than the Acura (at least the old one--who can afford the new ones?).

I also had alot of those features on my Acura CL Type S. yes its sometimes nice to have all those gadgets but you don't really need them just like I didn't need 260hp V6. I am content on the features my Fit Sport comes with and love the gas I save.

Americans need to learn its not what they WANT but to get only what they NEED.

3/4 of Americans only really need a car similar to the fit..not V8 caddy's, Hummers, 330hp 2 seater Z cars but to each his own I guess.

You get what you pay for though. I rather spend the 14K I saved not buying a new TL-S and go on vacation for the next 10 years or put it back for retirement.

Anyways...yes I miss the locking door but I don't need it.
If someone wants in your gas tank they are going to get in it no matter what.

Sorry got a little of the subject there.
I'm done venting.

Last edited by Committobefit08; 01-28-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
I think the key here is that when you get something, you lose something....maybe to get a locking gas door it will cost you the armrest or Ipod connection. Plus you bought the car if it meant that much to you it would have been on a list of must haves...no use crying over spilled milk...with the amount of money I saved on one fill up alone compared to my old 95 pathfinder....I can go to pep boys and get a locking gas cap...I have faith in my fellow humnas that they will leave my gas alone, not to mention the tank is so small wouldn't you think they would target an F150 for gas instead?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
Yup. My 88 Civic DX (base) has a release lever on the floor near the driver seat and it still works. That car didn't even have a radio nor antenna when I bought it. The right side mirror wasn't even there.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm going to try this. I like the Fuel door release from the S2000, it's a pin like device you pull, only problem would be getting the cable attached inside the car and the locking mechanism on the fuel door... Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GUESTO
I'm going to try this. I like the Fuel door release from the S2000, it's a pin like device you pull, only problem would be getting the cable attached inside the car and the locking mechanism on the fuel door... Any thoughts?
only problem? thats the entire job!!! hehe....if you do end up doing this Im sure many will like to see a write up...Im at peace with my free for all gas door...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by GUESTO
I was just thinking something similar. My first thought was the rear of the rear door jam (drivers side) for the release pin. Would need to open that door for access. How about from the cargo area if you need to open the door why not the cargo area? I like the door better.

I'll have to compare manuals when I get the Fit manual later this week.

From College Hill Honda

Might need parts 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9?

I couldn't find an image of the 09 Fit in that area. The 07-08 images don't like the same (from memory).

Last edited by pharmpk; 01-28-2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added parts image
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
If you are worried about people getting to your gas, I believe other FitFreak members have bought locking gas caps and put them on the Fit.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by SomberResplendence
If you are worried about people getting to your gas, I believe other FitFreak members have bought locking gas caps and put them on the Fit.
Quite right, the easiest answer... but one more key :-(

Old 01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Until gas gets more expensive I think I'd rather take a chance on losing some of my "liquid assets" than hassle with a locking gas cap--particularly this time of year.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by SomberResplendence
I like how it keeps the door closed too. I don't know how many cars I see driving around with an open fuel door. You shut the fuel door and it pops back open. This is the case on the Dodge Stratus and Ford Focus that park next to my car where I live.

But I also like how one can't just walk up and open the fuel door with their bare hands.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
I was just thinking something similar. My first thought was the rear of the rear door jam (drivers side) for the release pin. Would need to open that door for access. How about from the cargo area if you need to open the door why not the cargo area? I like the door better.

I'll have to compare manuals when I get the Fit manual later this week.

From College Hill Honda

Might need parts 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9?

I couldn't find an image of the 09 Fit in that area. The 07-08 images don't like the same (from memory).
Thanks for the picture, I'm starting to think the S2000 way might be toughier. I'm going to get it a close to stock looking as possible.

Here's a picture from a 2008 Odyssey.

We would need the inner lining of the gas door (the thing with the latch)
a long enough cable, I'm thinking from the Civic and a Fuel release switch traditionally mounted (next to the drivers seat) from the Honda Pilot, maybe Element & CR-V?

2004 Pilot

Old 01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Virtual
There was a member that posted that his 09 Jazz doesn't open when the car is locked. He said that there was some sort of solenoid. I'd love to add that to my Fit. That is something where the service manual would be helpful.
That's what they have on the newer Mercedes Benz'. Locking the door essentially also locks the fuel door. It's actually pretty nice.

Originally Posted by solbrothers
if the fit had a fuel door lock, itd just mean that someone is gonna take a screwdriver to open it instead of opening it with their finger
I believe the Fit has anti-syphoning spout. Most new cars do, so you can't syphon the gas out. I haven't researched the Fit, but I'm pretty sure almost all new cars have it. Besides, I'm sure if people wanted to steal gas, they won't bother trying to take it from a small car when they can hit the jackpot with an SUV with a 20+ gallon tank.

My biggest grip is just having to press the door to open it. Especially right when my car is nice and clean. I don't like having to touch the paint with my fingers. Oh wells, still love the car.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
My biggest grip is just having to press the door to open it. Especially right when my car is nice and clean. I don't like having to touch the paint with my fingers. Oh wells, still love the car.
Glad you can't see our Fit after I drove through the salt today. The only clean spot on the car is the gas cap door where my fingers touched it. If it ever warms up, I'll wash it.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM
That sucks...
Cali weather FTW

Old 01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
That's what they have on the newer Mercedes Benz'. Locking the door essentially also locks the fuel door. It's actually pretty nice.

I believe the Fit has anti-syphoning spout. Most new cars do, so you can't syphon the gas out. I haven't researched the Fit, but I'm pretty sure almost all new cars have it. Besides, I'm sure if people wanted to steal gas, they won't bother trying to take it from a small car when they can hit the jackpot with an SUV with a 20+ gallon tank.

Not so fast! FitCanadaGirl who has an 09 had her gas syphoned. She noticed one morning some drops by her fuel door and then later on realized her fuel economy was ridiculously low for some reason. She then immediately ordered the Element locking gas cap.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Crazy Canadians!
I dunno. That's a lot of effort to steal so little gas from a small car when they can get more from an SUV.
I remember when gas was over $5 here in Cali, people were drilling holes in the gas tanks of SUV's to steal the gas. That sucks... Not only get your gas stolen, but now you gotta buy a new gas tank.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
It's important to remember, when you are looking at the risk of not having a locking fuel door, that the fuel tank in the Fit/Jazz is under the front seats. That means that whether or not there is an anti syphon feature, it's going to be really hard to syphon(OK not impossible, apparently). You'd at least need a much longer hose than normal.

The other risk is then someone who doesn't like you contaminating your gas. Best way to avoid that is to not make enemies (or at least make sure they don't know where you live)

Thai made Honda Jazz has the fuel door locking feature. You can't open it when the car is locked.

Last edited by rosswond; 01-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
There was a member that posted that his 09 Jazz doesn't open when the car is locked. He said that there was some sort of solenoid. I'd love to add that to my Fit. That is something where the service manual would be helpful.
I have a EUDM GD-1 and it has a lock on the lid outside the fuel cap. It locks when the doors locks.
I just testdrove a EUDM GE-8 and it too had a locking mechanism that worked the same way as on my GD-1. So it should teoreticaly be possible to use that locking mechanism on the USDM Fit (both pre '09 and the new GE-08 Fit) ?

Quick Reply: I wish the Fit had a fuel door lock/release