2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

4 speakers in base, 6 in sport, where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
4 speakers in base, 6 in sport, where?

I have a base. It says there are four speakers on the website and for the Sport there are six speakers.

I see spaces for speakers in the front and back doors, that's four. Then there's something on the dash, wayyyy up at windshield, are those "empty" then? Are they even speaker spots? Or are the ones in the back seat empty? And WHY would speakers be wayyyy up by the windshield? It's not like you can get your head up there.

I tried the stereo once. Just one time. Got flustered because I couldn't turn it off the same way it turned on, which is stupid. Glad there's no "eject seat" button, because I pushed all the buttons (except the hazard, which is clearly labeled).

So, where are the six speakers in the Sport and which ones am I missing in the Base?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I usually push the power button to turn my stereo on and off. Yes, those are tweeter mounts in the dash.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
I got a Sport and yes... there are speakers on top of the dashboard. Ha... I can't tell you if they make a difference since I don't listen to my music loud enough.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I tried the stereo once. Just one time. Got flustered because I couldn't turn it off the same way it turned on, which is stupid. Glad there's no "eject seat" button, because I pushed all the buttons (except the hazard, which is clearly labeled).
Seriously, the button with the global standard for power didn't tip you off as the power button?

Every button will power it on, if it is off, but would you seriously want every button to power it off if it is on? Seems rather counter intuitive.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by linus011
I usually push the power button to turn my stereo on and off. Yes, those are tweeter mounts in the dash.
I pushed the BIG button and the stereo came on. Pushing it again did not turn it off. And I am NOT the only one who has done that, I read that in one of the reviews.

The closest thing I've had to a stereo was a big boom box type thing that crapped out maybe 10 years ago? I don't watch TV either, I have not watched TV at all in 2-3 years.

The battery in my former car died so often that I stopped reentering the code to activate the radio. Besides, it was important to listen to the car so I knew when it might break down again. Like the exploding sound under the hood. I never did find out what that was.

Anyway, do I have tweeters? Or not?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Seriously, the button with the global standard for power didn't tip you off as the power button?

Every button will power it on, if it is off, but would you seriously want every button to power it off if it is on? Seems rather counter intuitive.
It was at night. It's dark at night. I was driving. I thought I would try the radio. I pressed the big button. It came on. I listened. Whatever it was on was awful. So I started pressing buttons, couldn't remember what the salesman had shown me about seek and scan, and realized driving at night was not the best time to familiarize myself with the stereo. So I wanted to turn it off. I pressed the big button again. Nothing happened. It continued seeking or scanning or whatever it was doing.

Look, I'm old. I'm from the era where you turned a dial, and it clicked when it went on. And you got one crappy speaker on the dash.

THIS was my first car (not this exact one, and mine did NOT have a roll bar):
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/dlowery.jpg

In case you're wondering about the size of the car, perhaps this will help:
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/pics/bonk76midget.jpg

"Global standard"
Gosh darn newfangled gadgets.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Those tweeter grilles up front by your A pillars are dummies. There's no speakers underneath them. FitCanadaGirl did this test on her base loaner car a while back.

As for the buttons, I found the tiny power button very uncharacteristic of Honda and had a difficult time finding it when I first got the car. Using the source buttons to turn it off won't work simply because when you're listening to one source and you want to switch to another, you want to press that source button. That's why it doesn't turn off unless you press the power button.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Going from a GD to GE it took a little bit for me to adjust to the new stereo controls. I actually much prefer the power button of the GD over the tiny, not so obvious one in the GE.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member

Look, I'm old. I'm from the era where you turned a dial, and it clicked when it went on. And you got one crappy speaker on the dash.

"Global standard"
wasnt trying to be hard on you, I can see where it would have been very hard to figure out at night. "Gosh darn newfangled gadgets." Now that made me

Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Is the "big button" you refer to the AM/FM radio selector? 'cause, I find that a nice feature... I press CD and the unit powers up, plays CD. Same for Aux, any input... It did require me to learn how to turn it off, but after a few weeks, er days, er seconds, I mastered the technique. ;-)

You could have also just turned the volume to 0... The head unit is not technically "off", but the extra gas consumption is scarcely noticeable!

And with backlit controls at night, the task is much easier. I think the power on/off button is even a different color.

Cherio. Nice midgie btw.

It was at night. It's dark at night. I was driving. I thought I would try the radio. I pressed the big button. It came on. I listened. Whatever it was on was awful. So I started pressing buttons, couldn't remember what the salesman had shown me about seek and scan, and realized driving at night was not the best time to familiarize myself with the stereo. So I wanted to turn it off. I pressed the big button again. Nothing happened. It continued seeking or scanning or whatever it was doing.

"Global standard"

Last edited by IfTheFoo; 02-03-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM
are you guys serious?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
are you guys serious?
LOL

Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by got_FITted_09
I got a Sport and yes... there are speakers on top of the dashboard. Ha... I can't tell you if they make a difference since I don't listen to my music loud enough.
Hi,

Is it possible to take a photo of the speakers/tweeters on top of the dashboard? Would like to know how is the stock way of mounting it.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chaicka
Hi,

Is it possible to take a photo of the speakers/tweeters on top of the dashboard? Would like to know how is the stock way of mounting it.

Thanks.
They're WAY in the front, next to the A-pillar, you can see one in this image on the right side:
Slideshow - 2009 Honda Fit 5-Spd AT - Yahoo! Autos

And in this image from the same series of photos:

From the bottom up, you have the cup holder, the passenger air vent, the defrost side vent, and the tweeter mounting.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the link & photo. Great as we do not have stock 6 speakers option here, only 4 speakers.