2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Non-Refundable Deposit to Order '09 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Non-Refundable Deposit to Order '09 Fit?

Hi All,

I'm trying to purchase a 2009 Fit Sport Manual Navi in Milano Red. The MSRP on the car with destination is $18,780. I know the Fit is a pretty hot car right now but I refuse to pay MSRP for any car, never have, never will. I received as you can imagine many full price quotes from Dealers & a couple @ invoice or below. Invoice according to Edmunds is $18,131 but I have a Dealer in Pa. who will do $17,900 which seems like the deal of the century!!

Of course the car is not in-stock & grabbing it from another Dealer changes the price but ordering it will not. I have never ordered a car before but does anyone that has (I know many of you have) encountered the non-refundable $500 deposit scenario? The Dealer seems legit otherwise, & has good DealerRater reviews but wanted to make sure this was on the up & up before I proceed. Also, no one else would touch this price so I really want to make it a go.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Are you sure it's non-refundable? The dealers around here all want a $500 deposit to order one, but they said it was refundable for any reason whatsoever. Although it may be because you are ordering specific options that may be harder to sell if you change your mind? If they already got $500 from you and have to sell it below what you were going to pay to someone else, then they have made up that difference.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Before signing the paper stating that you agree to the terms of the non-fundable deposit... I would make sure you get a signed statement from them that they will sell you the vehicle for $17,900.

Taken from www.carbuyingtips.com:

DO NOT let Dealer "A" locate your new car from Dealer "B"... Don't do it!
We get the most complaints about this. We discourage car buyers from letting Dealer A get your new car from Dealer B. Sometimes due to geography and lack of dealer coverage while buying a car, you may have no choice. Some dealers routinely locate new cars for car buyers and make them quite happy. But 99% of the time I hear complaints from buyers about this. The complaint ratio is so close to 100% that we tell you to always avoid this situation. It's a crap shoot and the house always wins. I suggest you just find out who Dealer B is and go buy a car from them. One dealer told me the best advice if Dealer A offers to locate a your new car from Dealer B, don't sign anything until you've seen the car, or sign a letter of intent that the contract is not binding until you have seen the car and given your ok. I always hear of games and scams when dealer A has the car shipped from dealer B, because of towing costs, and dealer A loses the holdback to the original Dealer B. All sorts of fees show up. Even worse, the wrong car shows up and you are stuck buying car you don't want because you put down a deposit! I also get lots of complaints about missing MSRP stickers, which is a felony. You'll eliminate these issues if you buy a car from the dealer who has the car. Search all the dealer web sites for their inventory. Before you give ANY money, be sure you have a written buyer's order from them clearly stating what new car you are buying, the VIN#, the color, and all the options, so there is no doubt what you are paying for. If they give you bogus lip service about "not knowing the VIN# yet", they are lying.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
For the most part the deposit is refundable, especially if they think that you're going to buy a Honda. At least that was the case when I went to buy my Fit (the manager said that it was 100% refundable). To make sure though, ask them and have them write it down on the offer sheet. What they might do, or what you could suggest doing is, have them put a clause: deposit down, subject to test drive. This basically means if you don't like the car after the test drive, then you can get your money back. They probably will let you do it, but since the economy is in shambles there might be a slight possibility that they've changed just so they can get some sales rolling in.

Good luck with your buy

Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 PM
i wouldn't sign a non refundable deposit. too many variables involved if things fall through and you lose your deposit.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Don't do a non-refundable deposit. It's not a good idea. Who's to say your car will come in a timely manner.... lets say your car comes in 9 months? Or the wrong car shows up? At least tell the dealer to make it refundable if the car doesn't show up after x amount of weeks/days.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by mchoffa
Are you sure it's non-refundable? The dealers around here all want a $500 deposit to order one, but they said it was refundable for any reason whatsoever. Although it may be because you are ordering specific options that may be harder to sell if you change your mind? If they already got $500 from you and have to sell it below what you were going to pay to someone else, then they have made up that difference.
I think it could be that plus the back they went down from $18,580 (their initial offer). I'm sure this would be a tough one to sell, should I change my mind though. The vast majority of buyers (not those represented on this forum want neither a manual nor Navi). Thanks for the response though!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by got_FITted_09
Before signing the paper stating that you agree to the terms of the non-fundable deposit... I would make sure you get a signed statement from them that they will sell you the vehicle for $17,900.

We get the most complaints about this. We discourage car buyers from letting Dealer A get your new car from Dealer B. Sometimes due to geography and lack of dealer coverage while buying a car, you may have no choice. Some dealers routinely locate new cars for car buyers and make them quite happy. But 99% of the time I hear complaints from buyers about this. The complaint ratio is so close to 100% that we tell you to always avoid this situation. It's a crap shoot and the house always wins. I suggest you just find out who Dealer B is and go buy a car from them. One dealer told me the best advice if Dealer A offers to locate a your new car from Dealer B, don't sign anything until you've seen the car, or sign a letter of intent that the contract is not binding until you have seen the car and given your ok. I always hear of games and scams when dealer A has the car shipped from dealer B, because of towing costs, and dealer A loses the holdback to the original Dealer B. All sorts of fees show up. Even worse, the wrong car shows up and you are stuck buying car you don't want because you put down a deposit! I also get lots of complaints about missing MSRP stickers, which is a felony. You'll eliminate these issues if you buy a car from the dealer who has the car. Search all the dealer web sites for their inventory. Before you give ANY money, be sure you have a written buyer's order from them clearly stating what new car you are buying, the VIN#, the color, and all the options, so there is no doubt what you are paying for. If they give you bogus lip service about "not knowing the VIN# yet", they are lying.

Good luck!
They already said it was subject to Honda not raising prices (which I guess they already went-up $200). Also, this an order from Japan not Dealer X.

Thanks!!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by M4psycho
For the most part the deposit is refundable, especially if they think that you're going to buy a Honda. At least that was the case when I went to buy my Fit (the manager said that it was 100% refundable). To make sure though, ask them and have them write it down on the offer sheet. What they might do, or what you could suggest doing is, have them put a clause: deposit down, subject to test drive. This basically means if you don't like the car after the test drive, then you can get your money back. They probably will let you do it, but since the economy is in shambles there might be a slight possibility that they've changed just so they can get some sales rolling in.

Good luck with your buy
That's what I always thought as well, hence my questioning it. Thanks!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by robodude
Don't do a non-refundable deposit. It's not a good idea. Who's to say your car will come in a timely manner.... lets say your car comes in 9 months? Or the wrong car shows up? At least tell the dealer to make it refundable if the car doesn't show up after x amount of weeks/days.
I feel the same way as you & the person above. I think I may try this approach.

Thanks!!

Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
I would say no go on non-refundable deposits.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:47 PM
not sure about the laws in NY, but in CA and many other states; It is against the law for a non-refundable deposit on purchasing a car.
Easiest solution: Use a credit card for the deposit.
If they refuse to refund it, do a charge back.
If you have not signed a contract on a car, they cannot lawfully hold on to your money. Make sure you read everything before signing it.
Otherwise you end up like me. But.. that's a whole nother story.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
for some damn reason dealers consider "manual w/navi a special fit"

Many many guys cant find that special configuration on a lot anywhere.
That may be why they want non refundable because the dopes think if you bail they are stuck with the car. (hey they ain't rocket scientists, they sell cars)

In Illinois, it is not a deal until you take delivery so deposits are refundable.
But I would talk to a lawyer....

and actually I think the credit card (not a debit card) puts you in the drivers seat about getting your $$ back if it falls through.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tork

In Illinois, it is not a deal until you take delivery so deposits are refundable.
My dealer never even cashed the $500 deposit. It was stapled to my folder when I took delivery three months later.

Worth the wait.

Cheers.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM
not in this market.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by got_FITted_09

Good luck!
I did this and didn't have a problem. They actually traded for it before it arrived at the other dealer's location--so it never really made it to the other dealer anyway.

They were located in SC, couldn't travel that far. The reason for the trade was to get Taffeta White in MT.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
not sure about the laws in NY, but in CA and many other states; It is against the law for a non-refundable deposit on purchasing a car.
Easiest solution: Use a credit card for the deposit.
If they refuse to refund it, do a charge back.
If you have not signed a contract on a car, they cannot lawfully hold on to your money. Make sure you read everything before signing it.
Otherwise you end up like me. But.. that's a whole nother story.
In N.Y., I'm sure it is illegal but my best deal is still in Pa. where they don't have as many laws. I'm going to try to negotiate this with them after receiving more quotes (none as good), some Dealers even telling me to take that price. Thanks for the reply!!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tork

Many many guys cant find that special configuration on a lot anywhere.
That may be why they want non refundable because the dopes think if you bail they are stuck with the car. (hey they ain't rocket scientists, they sell cars)

But I would talk to a lawyer....

and actually I think the credit card (not a debit card) puts you in the drivers seat about getting your $$ back if it falls through.
The funny part is that have a Black one on the lot in that config & another Black inbound but I still think they consider it special & they should in their eyes. I read that Honda expects 70% of sales to be Sport Autos Non-Navi so if you figure that other 30% a Sport Manual Navi probably (in their minds) will account for like 5% of all Fit sales. Just me guessing but would explain unavailability as well... Thanks for your reply!!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
My dealer never even cashed the $500 deposit. It was stapled to my folder when I took delivery three months later.

Worth the wait.

Cheers.
Agreed & thanks!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BuffaloHonda
The funny part is that have a Black one on the lot in that config & another Black inbound but I still think they consider it special & they should in their eyes. I read that Honda expects 70% of sales to be Sport Autos Non-Navi so if you figure that other 30% a Sport Manual Navi probably (in their minds) will account for like 5% of all Fit sales. Just me guessing but would explain unavailability as well... Thanks for your reply!!
my pleasure sir!

Ahhhh they would still sell a manual navi if you bailed.
They look at it like your gettin the $40 hooker but spending the night with her in a $1500 a night hotel room LOL

Quick Reply: Non-Refundable Deposit to Order '09 Fit?