2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Alternatives to replacing cracked fog light lens

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Alternatives to replacing cracked fog light lens

So as predicted by that little pr!@k Murphy, a rock takes aim like it had eyes and breaks my left-hand fog light lens. It's now cracked, with a 3/4-inch triangle missing from its geographical center. I've temporarily taped it up with clear tape to keep water and debris out.

"Oh good, it's only the lens. I'll just pick up a new one at the dealer."

"Oh no, sir" replies the grinning parts manager. "You have to replace the entire unit. It's only $325."

"You're joking, right?"

"Plus installation. Plus tax. Should still come in under $450 installed."

NO.......... F&%@ING...... WAY...... that's ever gonna happen!

I *could* custom make some new 1/4-inch thick ones out of plexiglass. These could then be sealed over both lights to protect them from further rape and pillage.

But I'm wondering if there's an easier method, specifically a clear spray-on synthetic rubber compound that could purchased locally. I've already tried many of the auto supply stores (Napa, Canadian Tire, Auto Value, etc.) to no avail. Does anyone know if such a product is readily available, what its brand name is and where available? I'm in the Calgary Alberta area.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
buy some small sheets of 3M and cover the lights with it?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I know your looking for a cheap fix but heres the entire unit for $122ish

Honda Automotive Parts

Old 01-26-2009, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
I know your looking for a cheap fix but heres the entire unit for $122ish

Honda Automotive Parts
Thanks for the info. Actually $122 is more acceptable. Of course then there's the exchange rate plus shipping plus tax. That's still around $200 if I install it myself.

I may go this route, but that still doesn't address the entire issue, ie: the vulnerability of these lights to death by stoning. The multiple layers of 3M would also work and what's even better, I wouldn't even have to replace the existing damaged lens. I'd do both lights of course to protect the RH light as well as the already cracked left side.

I'll probably trade this car in after 5 to 7 years for a new one and by that time these assemblies should be available at aftermarket places and wrecking yards on the cheap. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
How come u didn't cover the area with lamin-x or xpel? It could have avoided the problem. I even have a writeup. U could just try putting it over the existing glass. It will hold up and protect the rest of it and it'll b cheaper then replacing the whole unit. If it didn't work, ur only out $5 then u can buy the replacement.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
How come u didn't cover the area with lamin-x or xpel? It could have avoided the problem. I even have a writeup. U could just try putting it over the existing glass. It will hold up and protect the rest of it and it'll b cheaper then replacing the whole unit. If it didn't work, ur only out $5 then u can buy the replacement.
LOL. I think it was a case of me thinking "I've already had to replace the damned windshield. How unlucky can one guy get?" Uh, hopefully I now have the answer in its entirety.

I've just called Napa. they have a 3M equivalent. I'll just pick that up along with some modeling clay to make a mold of the lens from. I'll use this to cut out one layer, check the fit and then use that one as a template for all the other layers. I'll report back with the results.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have the same issue. Doesn't it seem like if you put film on the broken light the heat will burn the film?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM
We've had several Hondas, all had foglights, and when we traded them, they all had at least one broken foglight lense... and we're really careful with following distance. For this one I bought the bulk film from XPEL, it's meant for fogs and it is THICK. Cost about $15 to do both fogs, which included shipping. I bought a little extra film for misc other projects. Well worth it.

You can change the light yourself, it should take no more than 10 minutes.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Fog light cracked on me too. I went to my local honda and asked for the replacement lense and got the bad news about having to buy the entire housing. I ended up paying $280 if I remember correctly. Sucks but I didnt think I had another alternative. I will definitely use the link in this thread if I have to buy another.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Will someone please post the link to XPEL? I need to protect my fogs ASAP!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Headlight Protection

I bought the bulk sheet, you'll just have to mark it out... and you can cut the film with a pair of scissors.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tobey457
Headlight Protection

I bought the bulk sheet, you'll just have to mark it out... and you can cut the film with a pair of scissors.

Ok, here's the promised update: I went to Napa and bought a pair of 12" x 17" sheets of very similar stuff to your example. Napa calls it "Ricochet" film, and it's a clear film about half a millimeter thick. Cost was $32 (+ tax) here in Canada.

Turns out I only needed one of these sheets so I gave the other one away to a co-worker. I picked up some Play Doh and used the plastic bag it came in as a release agent. I then squished it into the recess of the fog light, making a mold from which I could cut the first layer using an Exacto knife.

It took a bit of final tailoring but I finally had a decent template from which I could slice out the remaining required layers. Leaving the backing paper on the template I simply pulled the paper off the subsequent layers and placed them over the original template.

With a total of five layers now pressed together (I required the extra rigidity due to the hole in the lens) I was able to remove the paper from the original (first) layer and then simply stick it to the outside of the broken lens. The unbroken right-hand lens got three layers. Problem solved.

Last edited by Aviator902S; 01-27-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
was it really necessary to make 3 layers even on the uncracked on? I guess half a millimeter is pretty thin but still...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
was it really necessary to make 3 layers even on the uncracked on? I guess half a millimeter is pretty thin but still...
It was probably overkill at 5 layers on the cracked one, three would have been plenty. Remember, there was also a 3/4" triangular hole in the middle of that lens as well.

The un-cracked one could have gotten away with one layer, but I'd already cut out the extra two, so...

Old 01-31-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
haha okay just wondering what your reasoning was. Thanks for that!

Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
was just browsing the website of the company that bought my old WRX from me and came across this interesting solution...

IAG Performance: RockBlocker Yellow Fog Light Kit for Subaru WRX 2002-03, RS 1999-03, Lighting, S101YELLOW

Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I posted this a while back. I'll re-post it:

I just applied Lamin-x today. Bought a 8" x 16" bulk film sheet. 40 mil thick for fog lights.(clear) $19.95 plus $9.14 shipping. Came with a small spritz bottle, squeegee and easy instructions. They also have smaller sizes if you don't want that much. ( I see it's on sale now for $17.96!)

That size sheet will make 8 lens covers. 5 down the left side and 3 on the right. So I have extras if or when needed. Instructions said to re squeegee edges in 24 hours, so I'm keeping the lights in my house overnight and will re squeegee and install in the morning. Also getting into the 20's tonight so adhesive will probably set up better inside. Once on, the lens is easy to trim with a blade.
Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style
Lamin-x Protective Films - Protect with Style