2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Xenon HID Install HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Xenon HID Install HELP!

Can someone help? I'm so frustrated..I've installed Xenon's before, but H4's are not as straight forward as 9006s.

-I bought the xenonvisions H4 bi-xenon version.

0) Do you have to pull fuse 15 first for this to even work??

1)How the heck are you supposed to clamp down on the xenon bulb with that dumb paperclip looking clip?? the new bulb is bigger so it won't clamp.

2)How does that rubber Stanley circular thing fit anymore once the new bulb is placed in?

3) What happens to the female end of the 3-prong plug?? Does it even get used anymore?

4) Lastly, the new xenon kit comes the bi-xenon controller thing...and out of it is this one single male 3-prong wire...does that go into one of the 2 female plugs? Once again, if so, what happens with the other female one?

I'm soooo confused. Please help!! Thank you sooo much!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
Hope this helps!

0) Do you have to pull fuse 15 first for this to even work??

No? ur supposed to leave all fuses in.

1)How the heck are you supposed to clamp down on the xenon bulb with that dumb paperclip looking clip?? the new bulb is bigger so it won't clamp.

The new bulb is only wider at the top of the bulb, but not at the base where the "paperclip" looking bulb holder holds the bulb. It might be a little wider, but it will hold the bulb fine. Did u take the headlights off the car? if u havn't, do it cuz it will make it 100x easier.

2)How does that rubber Stanley circular thing fit anymore once the new bulb is placed in?

You have to cut out the center for it to fit better on the HID bulb.

3) What happens to the female end of the 3-prong plug?? Does it even get used anymore?

Only one side of the stock wiring is used (the drivers side is gonna b used) so the passenger side, i'd recommend wrapping it with electrical tape so it doesn't get dirty.

4) Lastly, the new xenon kit comes the bi-xenon controller thing...and out of it is this one single male 3-prong wire...does that go into one of the 2 female plugs? Once again, if so, what happens with the other female one?

Yes the kit plugs into one side of the cars original wiring (drivers side) and that's what tells the relays in the HID kit what to do.

I'm soooo confused. Please help!! Thank you sooo much!!![/quote]

Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the help! I got it to work...but now my DRL light is on...should I just pull the fuse?

Also, is the paperclip thing supposed to be able to wrap around the new HID bulb? I don't see how it could...right now, I cut a hole in the rubber gasket and its snug...however, the bulb can still move a little bit if I nudge it.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by L15A
Thanks for the help! I got it to work...but now my DRL light is on...should I just pull the fuse?
Yes on the GE Fit you need to pull the DRL fuse #15 or you'll have that nice little buzzing sound with the indicator on your cluster

Old 01-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks!.....got it.

Still having problems with the metal clip....

Originally Posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Yes on the GE Fit you need to pull the DRL fuse #15 or you'll have that nice little buzzing sound with the indicator on your cluster

Old 01-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Retired Moderator
With the HID bulb you should be able to take the base off of it .... what I did is... I put the base or frame that fits into the headlight, then I put the clip on. After that I placed the rubber cover on the the HID light and pulled it as far back as it would go ( after I trimmed about 3/4 of an inch of it off ) and then locked the HID light into the mounting base that was in the headlight... it should only take a 1/4 of a turn to lock it in... if you have the HID light out you will see a little white lock line on the base and HID unit ..
Try this and see if it works for you.... If I had a working digital camera I would take a pic... sorry..

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
With the HID bulb you should be able to take the base off of it .... what I did is... I put the base or frame that fits into the headlight, then I put the clip on. After that I placed the rubber cover on the the HID light and pulled it as far back as it would go ( after I trimmed about 3/4 of an inch of it off ) and then locked the HID light into the mounting base that was in the headlight... it should only take a 1/4 of a turn to lock it in... if you have the HID light out you will see a little white lock line on the base and HID unit ..
Try this and see if it works for you.... If I had a working digital camera I would take a pic... sorry..

Did I miss something? When did JDM become a mod?

On topic: Thanks for all of the answers; I will most likely have them down the road.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
how does the drl indicator light look like?
cause i pulled fuse 15 and eevrything works and looks normal to me?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 713_fit
how does the drl indicator light look like?
cause i pulled fuse 15 and eevrything works and looks normal to me?
The DRL is shown with the high-beam indicator--but dimmer.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
If you have the Xenon Visions kit, the DRL is automatically disabled.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:52 AM
not true. that's the kit I have...and the DRL might have been "disabled" but the indicator still went off on the dash...still had to pull the fuse

Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
If you have the Xenon Visions kit, the DRL is automatically disabled.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Sorry...this is really confusing...do you have pictures? If your camera's broken no worries....thanks for helping though!!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:37 AM
here is a video that shows someone installing an H4 bulb (it's not a Fit, but same concept):

YouTube - How to change a headlight bulb

You will want to pay attention to the 1:23 mark of the video.

What it will show you is how to reinstall an H4 bulb back into a headlamp.

I know the clip can be tricky if you can't see it. (i've personally owned 4 cars with H4 bulbs, so I can do it without even looking now) you just need to ensure the prongs match up and that the clip is fully opened when install the bulb.

Once you have the bulb mounted correctly, push the clip back on and make sure it locks on the opposite side of the clamp hinge.

If you are still having problems, I would suggest taking the headlamp out completely so you can have a clear picture of what you are doing.

Once you do it once, you will realize that it is a simple process.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Also, here is a drawing of the back of the headlamp for a bulb install/removal:

If you look where the arrow is pointing, you will see the clamp where the end (object A in the diagram) of the hinge is locked into place.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 AM
"Once you have the bulb mounted correctly, push the clip back on and make sure it locks on the opposite side of the clamp hinge."

This is the problem! The Xenon Visions bulb is too big in the back for the clip to swing around it! All the prongs are lined up and everything..I just can't get the clip to lock on the other side...

Originally Posted by spektrum
here is a video that shows someone installing an H4 bulb (it's not a Fit, but same concept):

YouTube - How to change a headlight bulb

You will want to pay attention to the 1:23 mark of the video.

What it will show you is how to reinstall an H4 bulb back into a headlamp.

I know the clip can be tricky if you can't see it. (i've personally owned 4 cars with H4 bulbs, so I can do it without even looking now) you just need to ensure the prongs match up and that the clip is fully opened when install the bulb.

Once you have the bulb mounted correctly, push the clip back on and make sure it locks on the opposite side of the clamp hinge.

If you are still having problems, I would suggest taking the headlamp out completely so you can have a clear picture of what you are doing.

Once you do it once, you will realize that it is a simple process.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
I haven't use the xenonvision kit, but I have used several others and never had the problem you are describing.

If it is actually thicker than stock and preventing you for locking the clamp down, I suggest bending out the clamp just enough until it will lock into place.