2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ipod Nano compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Ipod Nano compatibility

New owner 2009 Fit sport. Want to buy a 16GB Ipod Nano that will work in the car. The specs in the manual refer to generation three and earlier, but the Nano is now in the Forth Genereation. Anybody have any info as to whether the 4th gen Nano is compatible (and if so, what firmware level is acceptable)?

thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
hmm i would try it if i were you. I have an aftermarket headunit and appearently all the new ipods and iphone will not work. just like you stated its pretty much the problem. I dont know how the GE models connect with the ipod so i dont know. If its through the charging port of the ipod i would definitely try it first.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 PM
i've got an iphone 3g and it works perfect. not sure if that helps you or not.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by rel_90806
New owner 2009 Fit sport. Want to buy a 16GB Ipod Nano that will work in the car. The specs in the manual refer to generation three and earlier, but the Nano is now in the Forth Genereation. Anybody have any info as to whether the 4th gen Nano is compatible (and if so, what firmware level is acceptable)?

thanks
My understanding is that the first iPods used FireWire to charge, later iPods would use either FireWire or USB and now the latest use just USB. It seems some of the head units are(were) still using FireWire (probably more compatible voltage==cheaper). The Honda Fit 09 Navi is USB so the new iPods should charge OK (and the iPhones). I think they will all play OK, just not charge if not compatible. There are adapters for the older head units FireWire > USB style charging. I've tried two types and they work just fine (in older Honda MusicLink and a JVC head unit).

You should be OK to play and charge a new iPod with the latest Fit USB connector. (no guaranty ;-) I'm using a thin (latest version?) iPod nano in my 09 Fit but I haven't checked if it charges... I did check my 3G iPhone and it charges. The latest firmware works. Upgrading if needed is free

Old 01-22-2009, 01:14 AM
My friend's 8gig new gen nano works just fine on my fit, minus the fact that it's VERY annoying trying to get to a song you're actually looking for, scrolling the volume button like mad searching for it

Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 AM
lol navi ftw
no scrolling needed

Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 AM
personally i'm fine with just shoving a flash drive full of music in the usb slot, 8gigs of space, minus the 200 dollar price tag on the apple label

Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
Oh, i forgot to mention that i have noticed my new gen ipod Shuffle not working on my GE's usb

Old 01-22-2009, 01:47 AM
i have a 8gb 4gen that works just fine

Old 01-22-2009, 09:43 AM
You should get whatever mp3 you like and if doesn't work... just use an aux audio cable (if you're not concerned about being able to charge your mp3 using the USB connector). As mentioned above, navigating through your mp3 controls is more convenient than using the volume control dial of the radio unit.

However... I've tried my Touch, my friend's 3rd gen Nano, and another friend's iPhone... and they all work.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
thanks for the info... the 4th gen IPODs are an elongated oval if you look at them on end.... is yours like that?

Also, for the general info, I got a response from a Honda dealer saying NANO firmware level 2.1 or higher will work in the 2009 Fit - however he then said "don't hold me to that" making one a little distrustful of his answer....

thanks

uote=pharmpk;553533]My understanding is that the first iPods used FireWire to charge, later iPods would use either FireWire or USB and now the latest use just USB. It seems some of the head units are(were) still using FireWire (probably more compatible voltage==cheaper). The Honda Fit 09 Navi is USB so the new iPods should charge OK (and the iPhones). I think they will all play OK, just not charge if not compatible. There are adapters for the older head units FireWire > USB style charging. I've tried two types and they work just fine (in older Honda MusicLink and a JVC head unit).

You should be OK to play and charge a new iPod with the latest Fit USB connector. (no guaranty ;-) I'm using a thin (latest version?) iPod nano in my 09 Fit but I haven't checked if it charges... I did check my 3G iPhone and it charges. The latest firmware works. Upgrading if needed is free[/quote]

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by rel_90806
thanks for the info... the 4th gen IPODs are an elongated oval if you look at them on end.... is yours like that?

Also, for the general info, I got a response from a Honda dealer saying NANO firmware level 2.1 or higher will work in the 2009 Fit - however he then said "don't hold me to that" making one a little distrustful of his answer....

thanks
Here is a picture of my 09 Fit connected to my green iPod nano. It does charge while playing.

The iPod does have a rounded (oval) shape.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have the new 8gb nano; works great with the nav, I cant speak to non-nav.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by pharmpk
Here is a picture of my 09 Fit connected to my green iPod nano. It does charge while playing.

The iPod does have a rounded (oval) shape.
okay mine looks just like this only my nano is purple to match my bbp fit and my cable to black to blend in and be all mysterious

Old 01-23-2009, 05:15 AM
as far as im aware, ipod nano 4g is the same config as iphone 3g and wont work with most current after market docking units, but it does work with the fit/jazz, i was was very supprised when test driving that it did work in the usb conection, i have both iphone3g an 4g nano and both work fine, except the odd unsupported error.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 4th gen 16GB Nano in my 09 Sport with Navi and it works perfectly. I haven't taken it out since I got the car in November.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by jojabis
okay mine looks just like this only my nano is purple to match my bbp fit and my cable to black to blend in and be all mysterious
Black cable, I'll have to look for that. Color co-ordinated iPod? Maybe I will need to buy another one in grey; wait maybe I have a grey sock :-)

I discovered something interesting this morning on the way in. I mostly listen to podcasts and in trying to co-ordinate between two cars and the iPhone I last had my podcast smartlist (I delete played podcasts automatically BTW put them in a playlist and they play one by one without stopping) sorted by title not my usual date of uploading. Anyway, they played back in the car by title not date. A bit of a nuisance but interesting to see if the sorting is maintained with other criteria.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:49 PM
I have a 2 Gig iPod Nano. It was working perfectly, but this morning it suddenly gave me a "unsupportted ver" error? Weird... Possibly reformating the iPod might fix it?

However, reading the forum, it sounds like the USB connection works with most Flash drives. Since I don't want to bake my high dollar iPod by leaving it in the car during the Summer, I'm going experiment with that instead.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a flash drive in mine. Only "issue" is that if it's a "protected" file from my iTunes library the Fit's stereo can't see or play it. Time to update my library to iTunes + I guess....Another (time consuming) way around that is to burn the tracks to CD, import into Windows Media & then load into the flash drive...no more "protection"

Quick Reply: Ipod Nano compatibility