2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The squeaky wheel... Let's b1tch about the MPG gauge!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't pay attention to it so I really don't care how accurate it is.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Still a gripe. Be nice to see it over by just 1 mpg.

I have a ScanGauge in the Buick, and that is spot-on. And it doesn't even get injector cycles, but infers the MPG through other data. If the ScanGauge can do it with an inference, Honda can do it with direct data on how much fuel is being used.

Last edited by jadr09fit; 06-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
MPG indicator

I'm sure Honda can fix it, but it's not likely that they will. Face it, it's just a novelty to keep us amused. My cell phone calculator gives good numbers, and didn't cost anything. That said, the MPG computer in my Solstice is right on the money.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 PM
The most important figure as far as fuel is concerned with any of my vehicles is the cost at the pump not a flashing MPG gauge. I'm going into the dealership tomorrow to get my new plates put on and I'll bring this up to them, even if it doesn't bother me maybe repeating it to them enough times they'll make note of the issue.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
The closet mine has been is 3.0 mpg optimistic -the worst 12.5 mpg optimistic.

Not good!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Meanwhile let's just consider it an "efficiency meter"

I have read all the talk about the inaccuracy of this silly MPG Meter and, of course, mine is out-to-lunch too. As many have said, though, it is a very useful tool for managing your driving to maximize Fuel Economy.

My thought is that what we should just ignore the "MPG" part of the display and think of that little read-out as an "Efficiency Meter". I have been thinking that is probably a pretty good way to look at it and that, in fact, 80% Efficiency (as opposed to 80 MPG) is about all you could ever expect to get out of a gasoline engine that wastes so much energy producing heat. I even looked it up on that sterling resource "wikipedia" and found that their entry states that 75% Efficiency is about the best you can do with a gasoline-powered automobile at optimum "cruising speed".

So how about it? Let's give up on the MPG read-out and figure if we are getting 50% efficiency we are doing great?

BTW: I am getting consistent 40MPG performance from my '09 Fit Base Automatic and agree that it is a much more cost effective alternative than a Hybrid - that is why I bought it!

Last edited by mr5by5; 09-10-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by blythe
Here's my problem. Most people who have this issue are seeing the calculation being off by 15%ish regularly. It's not like it fluctuates between -8% and 8% off, which would be forgivable. All it would take is a small tweak in the calculations; subtract 15%, and the gauge would be nearly spot-on. I don't see why this is an unreasonable thing to ask for from Honda.
"I don't see why this is an unreasonable thing to ask for from Honda."

Really? You are far less cynical than I am.

It is obvious to me that Honda has deliberately and with full intent to deceive programmed the mileage meter to read 10% high. The engine management computer knows exactly, to the merest drop, how many gallons of fuel have gone through the engine, and it knows exactly, to the nearest thousandth* of a mile how far the car has gone. Divide the second number by the first number and you have miles per gallon. It isn't rocket science.

Why would they do that? Because the vast majority of Fit owners won't bother keeping track and doing the calculations manually. Instead, they'll believe what the gauge tells them, and then happily tell all their friends how they got 48 miles per gallon in their Fit, and Honda hopes that all those friends will be so impressed they'll go out and buy Hondas for themselves.

Honda is not going to update the firmware in these cars until someone initiates a class action lawsuit against them.

Are there any retired lawyers on this bbs looking for a fun project to fill the time?

tanstaafl.

*Yes, thousandth of a mile. The Honda odometer works by electronically adding the number of wheel revolutions (actually, it counts the number of axle revolutions at the transmission -- same thing) and multiplying by the circumference of the tire. That figure comes out to be about six and a half feet per revolution, a bit over 1/1000 of a mile.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by tanstaafl.
"I don't see why this is an unreasonable thing to ask for from Honda."

Really? You are far less cynical than I am.

It is obvious to me that Honda has deliberately and with full intent to deceive programmed the mileage meter to read 10% high. The engine management computer knows exactly, to the merest drop, how many gallons of fuel have gone through the engine, and it knows exactly, to the nearest thousandth* of a mile how far the car has gone. Divide the second number by the first number and you have miles per gallon. It isn't rocket science.

Why would they do that? Because the vast majority of Fit owners won't bother keeping track and doing the calculations manually. Instead, they'll believe what the gauge tells them, and then happily tell all their friends how they got 48 miles per gallon in their Fit, and Honda hopes that all those friends will be so impressed they'll go out and buy Hondas for themselves.

Honda is not going to update the firmware in these cars until someone initiates a class action lawsuit against them.

Are there any retired lawyers on this bbs looking for a fun project to fill the time?

tanstaafl.

*Yes, thousandth of a mile. The Honda odometer works by electronically adding the number of wheel revolutions (actually, it counts the number of axle revolutions at the transmission -- same thing) and multiplying by the circumference of the tire. That figure comes out to be about six and a half feet per revolution, a bit over 1/1000 of a mile.
Hahah... no corrrect at all... try this link

The Pentium Problem

If a pentium with floating point processor can't divide certain number correctly, why should Honda put a processor that excedes that capibility. It also include the fact that dividing floating point numbers will result in error depending on the processor used... that's just the nature of current algorithms being used. Do you think Honda would go through the trouble of using 64 bit processor just to calculate MPG accuracy? I don't think so...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ToFit2Quit
Hahah... no corrrect at all... try this link

The Pentium Problem

If a pentium with floating point processor can't divide certain number correctly, why should Honda put a processor that excedes that capibility. It also include the fact that dividing floating point numbers will result in error depending on the processor used... that's just the nature of current algorithms being used. Do you think Honda would go through the trouble of using 64 bit processor just to calculate MPG accuracy? I don't think so...
So because Pentium once screwed up the calculation instructions on some of their processors, Honda gets off the hook for having an inaccurate MPG meter where other manufacturers apparently have got it figured out??? You're just making a shaky assumption, don't act so *Hahah* about it.

Does that 0.006% error match up with the 10% error the MPG gauge is having?????????

Last edited by secondspassed; 09-20-2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
So because Pentium once screwed up the calculation instructions on some of their processors, Honda gets off the hook for having an inaccurate MPG meter where other manufacturers apparently have got it figured out??? You're just making a shaky assumption, don't act so *Hahah* about it.

Does that 0.006% error match up with the 10% error the MPG gauge is having?????????
I hope you have fun writing letters to Honda!
Good luck!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I don't even have an MPG gauge because I have a GD. I don't think I'll be writing them any letters. It's just my opinion that the gauge is not within an acceptable margin of error.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I don't even have an MPG gauge because I have a GD. I don't think I'll be writing them any letters. It's just my opinion that the gauge is not within an acceptable margin of error.
True that it's not an acceptable margin of error...no doubt about that. I've seen worst though. Especially with 8-10 bit processors. I don't think they can even divide above values up to 256 with floating points. Another infamous example would be the outline the Patriot Missle Failure due to floating point errors.

Most likely, honda was pressure to use cheaper circut to cut cost resulting a higher than usual error. Also keep in mind that the GE's were priced close to the GD's so honda really had to squeeze the new features without increasing costs on the new models.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
A Point (not just a decimal point!) Well-Taken

It is a shame that Honda engineers designed such a nice little car and allowed the Marketing folks to convince them to let the MPG-meter "inaccuracy" slide.

If my $129 Scan-Gage can calculate MPG more accurately than Honda's meter (from the same OB Computer data!) I think the arguments about "calculation errors" by the OBC are non-defensible. I worked in product development for Eastman Kodak company for over 30 years. We built fine products but always found the Marketing people exaggerating their capabilities and causing customer disappointments. The Honda Marketeers have picked an ideal target here - most Fit owners will neither read this forum nor calculate their milage, but will report MPG based on the faulty gage.

I love my Fit and am getting legitimate 40+ MPG but I think I will E-mail the EPA about this - maybe they can make Honda get honest!

INMO the truth about this (along with some real-life truth about hybrids!) would sell as many Fits as the marketers fantasy!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Fix it...

I would love to see this be more accurate, if not spot on. I've been anywhere from 2mpg to 9mpg off.

I have contacted Honda and voiced my opinion.

Novelty or not, why shouldn't it work properly?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Seems like there's a TSB out on this now (thanks to rhyneba):
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post778186

Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Are you serious???

Is it just me or does this seem a little extreme.
All this complaining over a small feature (that can be superceded by... simple math?!??!!)? This is exactly why i don't visit the forums that often, cuz it's threads like this that give me a headache. This is honda's cheapest car, so what makes you think they're MPG gauge will be pinpoint accurate. Even if my GD had a gauge i wouldn't look at it, cuz i know it's useless anyways... much like most BMWs (lawl). You can't really trust any gauge 100%. I simply reset my trip at every fill up and calculate my mileage the old fashioned way. I hardly do it anymore, cuz i know my average and that's where i usually stay. I'd hate to be so concentrated on the stoopid mpg gauge that i loose sight of why i bought the car... for driving. So flame me if you want, but i think this whole thing is silly

Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by The BOM
Is it just me or does this seem a little extreme.
All this complaining over a small feature (that can be superceded by... simple math?!??!!)? This is exactly why i don't visit the forums that often, cuz it's threads like this that give me a headache. This is honda's cheapest car, so what makes you think they're MPG gauge will be pinpoint accurate. Even if my GD had a gauge i wouldn't look at it, cuz i know it's useless anyways... much like most BMWs (lawl). You can't really trust any gauge 100%. I simply reset my trip at every fill up and calculate my mileage the old fashioned way. I hardly do it anymore, cuz i know my average and that's where i usually stay. I'd hate to be so concentrated on the stoopid mpg gauge that i loose sight of why i bought the car... for driving. So flame me if you want, but i think this whole thing is silly

Because its unlikely that Honda didn't saw the problem in their testing. Which smell fishy. Nobody like to be stuffed by marketing BS. Fix is easy and a gizmo like that doesnt seem to be complex to do, they included it in a cheap car, there is no reason it shouldn't be accurate. In fact, I think it should be made a law to avoid intentional fuzzing on that device to fool reviewers and consumers for marketing purpose, like the odometer this device should be precise.

Im glad i readed this thread, Ill ask the dealer to check the software version on delivery of my new fit.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
Well I guess I can no longer dub it the BSM. Honda finally came thru with a patch! I'll give em credit for that!

I did mine in December. MPG corrections went from 112% to 101%! Which equates to about .5 mpg variance from accurate!

Still on the positive side But ya can't argue the fact they are CLOSE! Cudo's to Honda for coming thru!

Now Give us our TRIP computer back in the NAV System!!!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Well I guess I can no longer dub it the BSM. Honda finally came thru with a patch! I'll give em credit for that!

I did mine in December. MPG corrections went from 112% to 101%! Which equates to about .5 mpg variance from accurate!

Still on the positive side But ya can't argue the fact they are CLOSE! Cudo's to Honda for coming thru!

Now Give us our TRIP computer back in the NAV System!!!
I did the same, my MPG (according to the gauge) dropped by (surprise, surprise) 10%. I haven't done much actual checking since the software update, but the few times I have checked seem to be much more in line with reality. I think it was unconscionable for Honda to allow the marketers to override the engineers in this matter.

I will place a post in your Navigation Hack thread later today, but the essence of it is that I am offering a sizable price ($1,000) for someone to hack my Nav unit.

tanstaafl.

Quick Reply: The squeaky wheel... Let's b1tch about the MPG gauge!