2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The squeaky wheel... Let's b1tch about the MPG gauge!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Anuthing can be fixed. Qureastion is could you afford?
Did the scan gage specs say anything about accuracy? If it didn't there you are. If it did and it doesn't meet spec, the supplier either has to fix it to do that or refund your payment.
This isn't scan gauge, it's the built-in mpg calculator in the '09 Fit.

I think you're missing the point of this thread. The problem has already been established, and others on this forum have it. If enough of us call up Honda Corporate and complain about it, we can make ourselves enough of a pain in the a$$ that they may make some attempt to fix it.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by niko3257
who afford it? i don't understand?
cars are under warranty. they will be fixed
under warranty.

Honda, like all manufacturers, are obligated only to meet the specified accuracy. If there is no stated accuracy and there is no real expectation of accuracy, Honda is not obligated beyond it working.
You will have better luck with going to Honda with the expectation that the accuracy should be within 2 mpg of real mpg. If you divide the miles driven by the number of gallons refilled for at least 10 fillups of not less than 7 gallons each, you should expect the result of that calculation to be with 2 mpg of the amount shown on your mpg gage for that fillup. That is a reasonable expectation of accuracy.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Honda, like all manufacturers, are obligated only to meet the specified accuracy. If there is no stated accuracy and there is no real expectation of accuracy, Honda is not obligated beyond it working.
You will have better luck with going to Honda with the expectation that the accuracy should be within 2 mpg of real mpg. If you divide the miles driven by the number of gallons refilled for at least 10 fillups of not less than 7 gallons each, you should expect the result of that calculation to be with 2 mpg of the amount shown on your mpg gage for that fillup. That is a reasonable expectation of accuracy.

reasonable 2 mpg i can deal with but 4 to 8 mpg off no way.
no one here with a GE8 has 2 mpg error.
everyone has at least 4 or more.
i have personally saved every receipt since i bought my car.
and on each receipt i wrote down the copumputer mpg and my
own hand calculated. the numbers are not good.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Touched by his noodly appendage
Im getting a consistent 4mpg over actual mpg. Either way I know how much im getting by just subtracting 4 from the gauge but would still like a fix. Ill give em a call monday.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
lawsuit? misleading meter!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Mine on average is 3 to 4 mpg off.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I've had my Fit for a couple of weeks, and I just filled up for the first time.

Calculated: 32.4
Guage: 36.9

Difference: 4.5 mpg, or 14% high.

I'm an engineer, and when I was an undergrad, I had a little class project where my group had to instrument a drinking fountain to measure water flow rate, temperature, and power used by the refrigeration system. Our cheapo little flow meter we got a hold of was more accurate than within 14%.

Last edited by huisj; 03-25-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
wonder how hondas system works... :/ Cause it can't determine accurately how much gas is being pushed into the engine considering all that measures fuel lvl is a bobber...but miles it can...to a degree(reversing). Unless it can log how much fuel is shot into the cylinder going by the maf n calculating fuel used that way. prolly way over my head right meow lol, but i'd like to know n brainstorming is just a start to googling

Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by shazaam
wonder how hondas system works... :/ Cause it can't determine accurately how much gas is being pushed into the engine considering all that measures fuel lvl is a bobber...but miles it can...to a degree(reversing). Unless it can log how much fuel is shot into the cylinder going by the maf n calculating fuel used that way. prolly way over my head right meow lol, but i'd like to know n brainstorming is just a start to googling
Mechanic @ dealer told me it was related to emissions.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
I'll call tomorow. My gauge has been off 4 to 5 mpg at every fillup.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 AM
I too have seen 10% off although I've stopped checking and just subtract the 10% from my gauge myself.

What makes me laugh is the idea that Honda disabled the mpg on the nav because of its inaccuracy... *sigh*

Honestly, I'm thinking the tree from Ford isn't looking that bad right now, although I'm not a Ford fan.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Gaslog data for Gustave

I'm going to call as soon as I get done with work.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I have kept accurate data on my car since new. 8k now.

The BME (BullSh*t-O-meter) is a consistent 12% or 4.4 mpg off over that 8k.

My Scanguage which is adjustable is dailed in accurately.

What would solve everything is.... if they would just allow us to adjust the BME ourselves to suit our needs. But NOOOooo....

I have to shoot for 45mpg+ on the BME to average a real 40 mpg tank. I've done it twice now. "REAL" lifetime average is 36.5 MPG

I also understand there is a "real" trip meter disabled in the nav systems for those of us who have it. Apparently is was a bit more accurate. But to save face it was disabled. I really wish SOMEONE would find a way to re-enable it. I hate paying for something that I can't use.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Finished the Honda New Owner Survey online today. Griped nonstop about the inaccurate trip meter (MPG gauge). I'm sure that'll fix it.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 AM
I mentioned the inaccurate MPG meter in the survey and it was the only negative evaluation. I'm pretty thrilled with everything else. Mine is close to 4 MPG off when achieving real 36 MPG. I go fillup to fillup nearly 10 gals every time so the math is trivial. Yes I do keep a log, I want to know what works and what doesn't on driving conditions.

No way any guage could be reasonably accurate measuring tank level on a tank that is irregular. Miles driven are available from the odometer and accuracy is limited mostly by tire size and inflation. Fuel delivery might be estimated based on injector duty cycle and RPM, or some other inputs readily available to the ECU. This meter appears to be consistent whether driving 5 miles or 375 miles, tank after tank. I get the same mileage reading +/- 0.5 MPG day after day on my commute. Since the consistency seems to be excellent, this is something that could be calibrated out.

It might be interesting to see if temperature plays a part. Say Alberta vs Phoenix AZ.

I seriously doubt Honda will do anything about it. It's just a gadget that kind of works. It's like complaining your coffee cup won't fit the holder. I think we'd be less annoyed if the MPG meter underestimated perfomance, then we might think we are "beating" it. Overestimating feels like we are being lied to every trip. I'm irritated that Honda didn't put any thought into an instrument so mamy of us can use to modulate our driving style and save gas. I mentally subtract 4 MPG and live with it. We should complain nonetheless.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
I understand they most likely wont do anything about it but seriously ...going forward... how difficult could it be to just make it adjustable? Then who's responsible for accuracy? Duh?

I mean my scanguage is fully adjustable.. how tough can it be?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Good thread,

I was always wondering why my reading was between 35 and 40, while the stated MPG for the Fit is 28/35/31.

I wonder why this was never mentioned in any of the articles on the Fit. It's a bid deceiving.

Do you all know if Toyota does this with the Prius (or Yaris, if it has a MPG reader)?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
I just read the Car and Driver comparo of the Insight, Prius and old Geo Metro (hah!) and I remember they complained about either the Prius, Insight, or both as far as MPG gauges. Neither hit the EPA either....

Old 06-06-2009, 07:38 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bkrell
I just read the Car and Driver comparo of the Insight, Prius and old Geo Metro (hah!) and I remember they complained about either the Prius, Insight, or both as far as MPG gauges. Neither hit the EPA either....

lol i read that article. the last paragraph even says if you don't like
these car you can always get a Fit. something along those lines. Fit FTW

Old 06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
Better than that, it says:

The Insight represents a lot of engineering bang for the buck, and the majority of its dynamics are more satisfying than the Prius's. But if you're hellbent on a practical Honda, we know one that's cheaper, quicker, roomier, and still managed an observed 31 mpg: the Honda Fit Sport.

Quick Reply: The squeaky wheel... Let's b1tch about the MPG gauge!