2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Put wheel locks on today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
Taken from a different thread.

It shows the locks have a ball seat, and they are slightly shorter than the Honda locks. Found a set of 16 on summit for $44.39, making me regret the OEM honda locks... Gorilla Automotive 38432N - Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems - summitracing.com

I use the standard Gorillas (no spinning sleeve) and they fit perfectly. Almost an exact match for the stock lugs. At distance I can't even notice the difference. They stick out the same distance as the stock lugs.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
i love my PIAA locks. took about 3 months to get tho and these are on the accord not the fit, the fit just has standard oem mcguards.

Name:  newlugs007.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  104.5 KB

sry for the huge pic.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by jazzmanta
just had my fit wheels stolen from my driveway with OEM wheel locks. Next up is a tilt/vibration alarm, cheaper wheels, and a video camera to catch the bastards next time. They also took the the wheels from a fit down the street from me the week before.

I was searching wheel locks and saw that you had yours stolen from Boston. Im fifteen minutes away from the city and I just saw all four rims and tires stolen from a SSM Fit in an apt community. Not the first time either. Last year a guys BMW wheels got jacked. I feel bad for these people. If ANYONE screwed with my Fit I would be beyond pissed!

Now Im scared because I was the other Fit in the community....luckily my boyfriend dumped me and I don't park my car there anymore...but Im still scared that like you someone will jack my tires/rims from my own driveway.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Originally Posted by JCLW
Gorilla Automotive (Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories) makes them:
4x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38431N
16x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38432N
20x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38433N

edit:
They also have standard (non-locking) lug nuts:
1x 12x1.5 ball seat open ended nut = part # 38038
1x 12x1.5 ball seat cap nut = part # 38138
Taken from a different thread.

It shows the locks have a ball seat, and they are slightly shorter than the Honda locks. Found a set of 16 on summit for $44.39, making me regret the OEM honda locks... Gorilla Automotive 38432N - Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems - summitracing.com
Any one get the Gorilla locks yet?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
I ordered the Gorillas from Summit and they arrived within a couple of days. They look good, imo better than the OEMs (I’ve got both on). I’ve driven over 1k miles and there’s no sign of them loosening up.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Eugene.Atget
I ordered the Gorillas from Summit and they arrived within a couple of days. They look good, imo better than the OEMs (I’ve got both on).
Same here just got them last week. I think they are even shorter than the OEM lugs (not the locks). Hopefully they will deter thieves.
Those OEM locks are soooooo long, anyone could just snap a vise-grip on them and just take them off....

Old 07-15-2009, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
So I'm considering those Gorilla locking nuts (Gorilla Automotive 38432N - Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems – SummitRacing.com) for my Fit Sport... Cant thieves just buy this for $45, and use the 'key' to steal our wheels though? Nowhere does it say the 'keys' are different and unique for each customer... or am I missing something?!

Also, this is silly... you *HAVE* to carry the key in the car, right?! If you run a flat tire, you'll need the key. Thieves know this... so they will break your windows and get to the key, which in the end only means MORE damage!

How do you deal with this?!

Last edited by justintime; 07-15-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 PM
theives want an easy target. just by seeing the locks, chances are they will leave your car alone. but I would suggest not to leave the key in an obvious place. ie where the spare is, and the glove box. hide it somewhere within the car.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I've added both OEM and Gorilla locks to each wheel. I don't leave anything in the car overnight, and actually leave the glovebox open to show that there's nothing in it except for a few maps. I carry a small backpack with me, and keep the two locks in there. As far as the Gorilla key is concerned, I haven't tried different keys on my locks, but it looks as though the spacings between the ridges on which the key grips are uneven, and so I assume that they vary these to make key-lock pairings fairly unique. Anyway, no problems parking on NY streets with this arrangement, so far.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by 94_accord
theives want an easy target. just by seeing the locks, chances are they will leave your car alone. but I would suggest not to leave the key in an obvious place. ie where the spare is, and the glove box. hide it somewhere within the car.
I agree that a lot of crooks are just looking to smash and grab, something way easy. I think that applies moreso towards them breaking into your car and just grabbing anything of value in sight. However, some aren't robbing you just to get money for drugs/food/etc... some break into cars and steal for the thrill and challenge of it. If you encounter the latter half, it sucks, because they'll see those wheel locks as a challenge, and do it just to spite you.

I had a "protected by Smith and Wesson" sticker on my rear driver's side door window of my old Civic... 3 days after I put the sticker on... window smashed and stuff stolen. Kinda like a "FU" after the fact.

Hooray Catch 22's!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
The Gorilla's seem to have different spacing as mentioned.... I'm sure it's not a one of a kind... there's probably several different locks Gorilla sells... It's a minor deterrent, in addition to the OEM locks it should slow a thief down, and/or have them move on to avoid the hassle...

Nothing is 100% but I feel little safer with the addition of the Gorilla locks on top of the OEM locks, the only thing we can do it make it harder for them to steal something... the OEM's really do look like you can clamp a vise-grip on them and remove them..

I also do not keep the locks in the car, I was thinking about trying to take apart some panels and tape the locks somewhere behind a panel or something, this way I'd know where they are... but for now they are out of the car, since I don't want to store it in the usual places (glovebox, spare tire area, or our new magic storage under the rear seat)

I like the idea of leaving the glove box open to help deter them from smashing the window...

I'm planning on adding an aftermarket Viper upgrade to the factory alarm which will allow me to use the stock remote, but add motion sensors, and all the other viper options. I just haven't had time to go to a reputable alarm shop to see which Viper alarm will work.

You can never be too safe parking in NYC, I've seen quite a few posts about NYC Fit owners getting their rims stolen... but with the Gorilla's I feel a little safer... until I do the alarm upgrade.

but then again if they do get stolen maybe I can get some real nice aftermarket wheels...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Didn't notice the Honda locks sticking out, I'll have to look again when I get home. Considering the other cars in my lot currently, I'm sure they'd come after my Fit first so the locks were the first thing I bought.

I'm thinking about having our machine shop guy at work (dude builds airplanes so he could probably handle this) here drill a hole in my key so I can put the key on my keychain or lock it to the spare (or under the seat somewhere) with a combo lock.

-P

Old 07-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
just a note though...they will break glass to gain access to the lock wherever it might be hidden in the car or in your house.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:18 PM
You're probably right--but at least they won't find it/get it.

-P

Old 07-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, they dont need the key to remove the locks. actually it doesn't take much to remove them.

not trying to be an arse, just reality.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Not at all, I have heard the same, and appreciate your insight.

Wheel stealing isn't a huge problem around here so I'm guessing most people don't walk around with the necessary tools to get them [the locks] off without the key. The fact that the key isn't in the car and the locks are there to begin with is probably enough to deter most. I think I'm more worried about going on trips (especially since I visit chicago a couple of times a year). I'm guessing the "ohio" on my plate will probably look something like "sucker" or "easy target."

Just going to do what I can.

Luckily I have a decent $50 deductible on theft (thank you fit freak for informing me of the demand for Fit wheels before I got my insurance).

-P

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
trick, Im from Cinci too... can't imagine people around here stealing wheels, but Im not taking any chances. I'm getting the Gorilla locks right away.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by justintime
trick, Im from Cinci too... can't imagine people around here stealing wheels, but Im not taking any chances. I'm getting the Gorilla locks right away.
Well, it's not too bad where I live... however, I drive a lot for work.. And a lot of times I have to park right on the corner of Mug Whitey and Stab Whitey...

I haven't purchased wheel locks yet, I'm still trying to get the essentials down, like a spring kit and things of that sort.

Where in cincy are you from? I grew up in Oakley.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Wopasaurus
I haven't purchased wheel locks yet, I'm still trying to get the essentials down, like a spring kit and things of that sort.
They cost $30 and take 5 minutes to install. I can't imagine why you'd want to "wait" for other projects before you get a set a wheel locks as if the locks were a "project" themselves.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by jzerocsk
They cost $30 and take 5 minutes to install. I can't imagine why you'd want to "wait" for other projects before you get a set a wheel locks as if the locks were a "project" themselves.
Well.. that $30 will lock 1 wheel. So it easily turns into $120.

As I said, I don't live in a high risk neighborhood, and my car isn't parked in sketchy places at night... plus paying the $100 insurance deductible and getting new ones will cost me less than the wheel locks themselves. Plus who's to say I didn't have wheel locks on there if they get stolen anyway

Quick Reply: Put wheel locks on today...