2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can't decide if to buy the fit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Can't decide if to buy the fit!

Ok...after looking at the Yaris (yuck!) and Versa. It has come down to the Fit and the Suzuki Sx4 (used - 2007). I'm looking for the '09 Fit since it's the new generation, otherwise I would get a used most likely. The first couple of years on the Sx4 depreciate the hell out of the car, hence why the 07. So here's the breakdown.

2007 Sx4, 40k miles, $10,500
2009 Fit, 0 miles :-o, $15,500

I want to save the 5k based on the price but 40k miles seems alot for that year and the warantee is gone (powertrain remains through 100k). I could buy an extended warantee for 2,500 for 4 yrs/75kmiles.

The Sx4 does have the AWD but has the low MPG... I guess that goes hand in hand. What would you do? Don't be biased!!

TY!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Get the Fit. Yeah you're paying more, but then at least it's a brand new car and you'll be the first owner. 40K miles is a lot of miles already on the SX4. In the long run it will be a better investment to get the Fit. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:34 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
buy a 08 fit. they dont depreciate as bad and are better looking than the 09.
suzuki doesnt have a good reputation in the states yet so they are not worth as much as a honda.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member
Pretty much everyone on this forum will say get the Fit, but you can't ask for an unbiased opinion especially since you're asking random people for advice on what they think is the best choice for you, and the problem is, none of us know you and your needs.

This is a decision you have to make yourself, basically ask yourself this, what do you value more?:

SX4 - power, AWD, cheaper
or
Fit - Better fuel economy, more reliable, more utility features

Long term, chances are the Fit will be cheaper (in terms of maintenance etc.), but if you're strapped for cash right now, then get the SX4....it all depends on what you need, and what you like. Have you test driven both cars? Do you like the feel of one over the other?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
money-wise you'll make up some of the difference when you eventually trade in the fit.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Instead of spending the $5000 repairing this and that on the second hand Suzuki I'd spend it on a new car. Moreover, Suzuki does not have the same quality control as Honda. You get more cargo room in a Fit as well with the 60/40 magic seats. $15000 USD? Is it a Sport model? If so then you also get 16' aluminum rims, sport tuned suspension, fog lights, and better attention to detail.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Suzuki is a small car company and with the current economic climate who knows how long they'll be around in the US. Don't want to buy a car and no place to service it in the future. I've ridden in the SX4 hatch and since it had AWD it was pretty heavy so it felt very slow compare to the Fit. I haven't rode in the SX4 sedan yet but I would assume it's peppier because of the lack of AWD.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM
wait for the insight then decide.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 PM
The FIT is rated high on the list in all categories. Resale value, total cost to own, top 10 most economical vehicles to purchase and the list goes on. I would go with the FIT. I absolutely love mine and have not looked back since purchasing it a month ago.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
This is a wise person. Why 15k for the fit??? I see a lot on here for cheaper than that used. That is what i whished i did buy a used fit 07 or 08 with decent miles for around the same price as the sx4. The fit is a fun car trust me i had a 98 cobra and a 03 Evo before the fit. i love it, it's great on gas cheap to maintain and it's a honda so will last forever. U want a good quality car that wont break down on u and will last for 5-6 years i would say at least get the fit. Maybe not a new one but a good used one. I bought mine new in San Diego for $18300 now i whished i would have shoped around and got one on here that was used for way cheaper and not many miles on them. But i am happy over all with the fit. Like some have said the sx4 has AWD and faster but do u know its expensive to maintian a awd car trust me i had a evo it breaks the bank in no time.

Originally Posted by M4psycho
Pretty much everyone on this forum will say get the Fit, but you can't ask for an unbiased opinion especially since you're asking random people for advice on what they think is the best choice for you, and the problem is, none of us know you and your needs.

This is a decision you have to make yourself, basically ask yourself this, what do you value more?:

SX4 - power, AWD, cheaper
or
Fit - Better fuel economy, more reliable, more utility features

Long term, chances are the Fit will be cheaper (in terms of maintenance etc.), but if you're strapped for cash right now, then get the SX4....it all depends on what you need, and what you like. Have you test driven both cars? Do you like the feel of one over the other?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
This is a wise person. Why 15k for the fit???
I'm talking about the 09 new... not 07 or 08 used. Want the 09 just b/c of the new features/redesign... should I not??

Well, I am leaning now more towards the fit mainly due to the fuel economy...

Now the question is to buy base or sport! Does the sport give it a better resale value? In terms of %

Can you guys tell me on an 09, are these good prices?

Base: 15580 + TTL
Sport: 17080 + TTL

Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Yes i would say that is good prices. But its up to u i like the 07-08 look better. And u can buy a really good one used for a great price right now due to the fact that the 09 have changed a little. i went with the sport looks better nicer radio system and i think nicer interior not sure if they are the same seats or not

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
buy a 08 fit. they dont depreciate as bad and are better looking than the 09.
suzuki doesnt have a good reputation in the states yet so they are not worth as much as a honda.
Not better looking, you just got used to yours, lol.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
was that sx4 the hatchback one or the sedan? and i thought suzuki transferred all the warranty with sale of used cars?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
This is a wise person. Why 15k for the fit??? I see a lot on here for cheaper than that used. That is what i whished i did buy a used fit 07 or 08 with decent miles for around the same price as the sx4. The fit is a fun car trust me i had a 98 cobra and a 03 Evo before the fit. i love it, it's great on gas cheap to maintain and it's a honda so will last forever. U want a good quality car that wont break down on u and will last for 5-6 years i would say at least get the fit. Maybe not a new one but a good used one. I bought mine new in San Diego for $18300 now i whished i would have shoped around and got one on here that was used for way cheaper and not many miles on them. But i am happy over all with the fit. Like some have said the sx4 has AWD and faster but do u know its expensive to maintian a awd car trust me i had a evo it breaks the bank in no time.
No doubt, I just sold my 99 Cobra and bought the fit. I am very happy with the decision and actually enjoy driving the little car. I say go with the fit and not the suzuki. Suzuki isn't known for their reliability. Look up previous years of statistical data on the brand, it is no where near the same league as Honda on reliability. Yeah, you could save 5k by buying the suzuki, but if or when you try to sale or trade the vehicle, you will be kicking yourself.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
Nice man i miss mine though. There is nothing like a exaust note form a coba. every one has different taste in the 08 and 09 fits. Really i am just mad becasue i tryed to trade my fit in for a 09 a month ago and they would only give me $13k for my fit when it had 4,000 miles on her. I like the 09 due to the interior on them and it was the newer model. But i still love mine to.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmk112
Ok...after looking at the Yaris (yuck!) and Versa. It has come down to the Fit and the Suzuki Sx4 (used - 2007). I'm looking for the '09 Fit since it's the new generation, otherwise I would get a used most likely. The first couple of years on the Sx4 depreciate the hell out of the car, hence why the 07. So here's the breakdown.

2007 Sx4, 40k miles, $10,500
2009 Fit, 0 miles :-o, $15,500

I want to save the 5k based on the price but 40k miles seems alot for that year and the warantee is gone (powertrain remains through 100k). I could buy an extended warantee for 2,500 for 4 yrs/75kmiles.

The Sx4 does have the AWD but has the low MPG... I guess that goes hand in hand. What would you do? Don't be biased!!

TY!
Can you drive a stick? Here is a nice, low miles (6,200), 2008 Sport, black, m/t, $11,900 that's in your area.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmk112
I'm talking about the 09 new... not 07 or 08 used. Want the 09 just b/c of the new features/redesign... should I not??

Well, I am leaning now more towards the fit mainly due to the fuel economy...

Now the question is to buy base or sport! Does the sport give it a better resale value? In terms of %

Can you guys tell me on an 09, are these good prices?

Base: 15580 + TTL
Sport: 17080 + TTL
The sport definitely seems to hold it's value better, from what I've seen while browsing. Check with your insurance company, because mine also would charge more for the Sport. I got the base. But I'm an old woman. I wanted the bit better fuel economy and the reduced insurance rates.

You are talking about the A/T, yes? For the above prices?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I started looking at the Fit in 2008 and I really liked that model. I got the 2009 because I recently decided to get a new car, and thats what I wanted...a NEW car. So, since the 09's were out I got one of them. I like both models though, no doubt.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Nav stick alert, Taffeta White, $18,580, Princeton, NJ:
New Honda Fit, Princeton, NJ, Wagon, Honda of Princeton Stock: H091738

Quick Reply: Can't decide if to buy the fit!