2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can't decide if to buy the fit!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tounge73
was that sx4 the hatchback one or the sedan? and i thought suzuki transferred all the warranty with sale of used cars?
Sorry, hatchback...thought that was automatic since i'm comparing to the fit

And yes..Suzuki transfers the warranty, however, its only the powertrain that's remaining...100k

Old 01-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
Can you drive a stick? Here is a nice, low miles (6,200), 2008 Sport, black, m/t, $11,900 that's in your area.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
Of course.. but the it's mainly for the wife (I'm keeping my TL )

We basically need something better on gas...

But I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the 2009 due to the redesign..

Old 01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
The sport definitely seems to hold it's value better, from what I've seen while browsing. Check with your insurance company, because mine also would charge more for the Sport. I got the base. But I'm an old woman. I wanted the bit better fuel economy and the reduced insurance rates.

You are talking about the A/T, yes? For the above prices?
Yep, auto.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dmk112
Yep, auto.
That's a good price for an auto.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:01 PM
Boxxy drives a Fit.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
if the new generation Suzuki Swift is ever released in the states. I would really consider trading in the Fit for one. But i still love the Fit

Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by M4psycho
Pretty much everyone on this forum will say get the Fit, but you can't ask for an unbiased opinion especially since you're asking random people for advice on what they think is the best choice for you, and the problem is, none of us know you and your needs.

This is a decision you have to make yourself, basically ask yourself this, what do you value more?:

SX4 - power, AWD, cheaper
or
Fit - Better fuel economy, more reliable, more utility features

Long term, chances are the Fit will be cheaper (in terms of maintenance etc.), but if you're strapped for cash right now, then get the SX4....it all depends on what you need, and what you like. Have you test driven both cars? Do you like the feel of one over the other?
I've been reading some old threads, and found this thread on first impressions of the 09:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...inted-09s.html

Just like most anything else, one person's disappointment is another person's YAHOO!

Perhaps reading through some of those reviews will give you a better idea of what to check for your own preferences. Like the seats and seating position and tilt/tele steering wheel. I mean, the car IS to drive, so you want to be relatively comfortable.

Remember to think about the conditions in which you drive and how long on average you drive per trip. A 10 minute trip is bearable on a buckboard. A 10 hour trip might have you pick up an extra seat cushion.

Lots of driving on curvy roads might make you feel as if the seat is too loose and open, and you would rather have a snug seat. But on straightaways, you might find the same seat too tight, and want to be able to spread out a bit.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Get the Fit. Yeah you're paying more, but then at least it's a brand new car and you'll be the first owner. 40K miles is a lot of miles already on the SX4. In the long run it will be a better investment to get the Fit. Good luck!
A car is not an investment. It is a depreciating asset.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
I had the same problem as you. My top 2 choices were the 2009 Honda Fit Sport and the 2008 Suzuki SX4 crossover (it was the most expensive version I think, with all features). In the end I bought the 2009 Fit. However, I did test drive the Suzuki. The good things about it were: more powerful engine than the Fit, higher up sitting position and bigger car overall, which felt safer (since it is a crossover), hatchback, nice styling, and finally it was only around $17,000~$18,000 sticker price for the most expenisve style with all the gizmos and packages and whatnot, like automatic climate control and heated mirrors. However, it has not-so-great MPG, the reliability of a Suzuki according to various websites is not that great (check out JDpower.com), plus the cargo area is not as big as the Fit's; I mean in the Fit you can do the Magic Seat thing and have lots of space, can't do that in the SX4. So IMO if you want peace of mind, great MPG, and reliability, get the Fit. But if you want greater engine power, more feeling of safety, and a more outdoorsy-AWD type of car, than get the SX4.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Ok...after looking at the Yaris (yuck!) and Versa. It has come down to the Fit and the Suzuki Sx4 (used - 2007). I'm looking for the '09 Fit since it's the new generation, otherwise I would get a used most likely. The first couple of years on the Sx4 depreciate the hell out of the car, hence why the 07. So here's the breakdown.

2007 Sx4, 40k miles, $10,500
2009 Fit, 0 miles :-o, $15,500

I want to save the 5k based on the price but 40k miles seems alot for that year and the warantee is gone (powertrain remains through 100k). I could buy an extended warantee for 2,500 for 4 yrs/75kmiles.

The Sx4 does have the AWD but has the low MPG... I guess that goes hand in hand. What would you do? Don't be biased!!

TY!
One factor that might make the difference to you is to compare side by side here:
Side-by-Side Comparison

Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 PM
ok ok, FIT it is

you've convinced me! lol

I'll be picking up a base tomorrow for about $17,000 out the door... not bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't pull a fast one on me as it's nicely below invoice.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up whatcolorwhatcolorwhatcolor?????

ok ok, FIT it is

you've convinced me! lol

I'll be picking up a base tomorrow for about $17,000 out the door... not bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they don't pull a fast one on me as it's nicely below invoice.
Wow! That's an excellent price too. I have a base and paid more. Wah.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Ok. Got the fit. Can't believe the MPG! Got almost 42 on the highway... amazing.

2 things that irk me and questioning why I didn't get the sport.

1. No keyless entry? What the heck? Power locks but no clicker, makes no sense.

2. No cruise control...ehh, long trips will suck.

You focus on the big things when you research (ABS, safety, etc). The little things sometimes slip by... I still don't think I would spend the additonal 1500 for that but still.. Did anyone get keyless entry added?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
Ok. Got the fit. Can't believe the MPG! Got almost 42 on the highway... amazing.

1. No keyless entry? What the heck? Power locks but no clicker, makes no sense.

2. No cruise control...ehh, long trips will suck.

You focus on the big things when you research (ABS, safety, etc). The little things sometimes slip by... I still don't think I would spend the additonal 1500 for that but still.. Did anyone get keyless entry added?
I do have the keyless on my base, it was installed before I bought car, one of those package things, with a KARR alarm. The key doesn't have the clicker to open the car, there is a separate fob clicker with the arm/disarm.

You can use the estore at Honda to shop for prices for the add-on security and keyless entry through Honda. Or check other places.

Sign up for the Owners Link too, you can set preferences for things like Service reminders.

And you still didn't say WHAT COLOR YOU GOT!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Blue Sensation Pearl!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I guess that's why they have a base model and a sport. The base is exactly what it says it is. Not criticizing you, but a lot of people seem to be expecting 'luxury' items to come standard these days. I actually had to turn a crank to roll up the windows in my first car! I'm definitely glad I spent what it cost to upgrade to the sport. It wasn't really even a question for me when I was already spending that much. Sorry man!

Still, all the mechanics and such are the same, so I wouldn't be disappointed. You'll be getting the same mpg, cargo space and ride performance as everyone else, which is what really matters in the Fit!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Blue Sensation Pearl!
Excellent!

And congrats on the new FIT!

After seeing the fuel economy, is it still "mainly for the wife"?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
I guess that's why they have a base model and a sport. The base is exactly what it says it is. Not criticizing you, but a lot of people seem to be expecting 'luxury' items to come standard these days. I actually had to turn a crank to roll up the windows in my first car! I'm definitely glad I spent what it cost to upgrade to the sport. It wasn't really even a question for me when I was already spending that much. Sorry man!

Still, all the mechanics and such are the same, so I wouldn't be disappointed. You'll be getting the same mpg, cargo space and ride performance as everyone else, which is what really matters in the Fit!
The mpg estimates vary by model and transmission.

M/T (both the base and the Sport) are rated: 27/33/29
The Sport A/T is rated: 27/33/30
And the Base A/T is rated: 28/35/31

A little bit better for the Base A/T. Every little bit helps for me!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
The mpg estimates vary by model and transmission.

M/T (both the base and the Sport) are rated: 27/33/29
The Sport A/T is rated: 27/33/30
And the Base A/T is rated: 28/35/31

A little bit better for the Base A/T. Every little bit helps for me!
Yar, I know this, but I was just speaking loosely. It might vary a mile with different transmissions, but I basically meant you're not comparing it (a base to a sport, AT or MT) to an entirely different luxury SUV or BMW, for example. You still have a FIT and the basic 'mission' of it is the same.

Last edited by bluebledthesea; 01-19-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea

Wow, since when is keyless entry luxury?? haha.. i mean why would you have powered locks without... beats me.... I guess floor mats are luxury too.

Quick Reply: Can't decide if to buy the fit!