2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Biggest 09 Fit weakness is small gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM
I live in denver (cold and altitude), and I have never gotten below 34. I drive a good mix of highway and stop & go, and I am pretty lead footed. I average 36 - 38. I love pulling into a gas station behind a big SUV, fill up for 15 bucks, and pull away before the big suv.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
With 75% city and 25% hwy driving, I refill at around 260 miles. Sure I can get 36 mpg for all highway in good conditions, but that's not all the driving I do.

The oil change indicator sort of mirrors my mpg numbers. When I clicked over 6,000 miles I was at 20% oil life remaining. It also show's I'm not babying this car, but I'm not dogging it either. I just switched over to Mobil 1, and will run synthetic gear fluid at the first maintenance interval.

For my use, a slightly larger tank would help out a lot. Hell, I'd even settle for the 10.8 gallon tank in the GD. That's like 12 or more additional miles per tankful, at least.

Last edited by badself; 01-14-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Trogdor!
Have you looked at cars from any other manufacturers? What are your primary concerns for your new car? I've always found spreadsheets helpful.
Yeah, I've checked some out. mazda3, Prius, Corolla, Camry, Accent. The Honda instrument panels appeal to me a lot more than anything any other maker has shown me. Mazda3 was a better performing car--I loved driving it. But the Hondas have better mileage, reliability is solid, instrumentation is better. I just like the Hondas. the Prius was cool too. But it's really more than I want to spend. Plus after driving the Prius for a while I missed manual transmission.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Interstate526
I know mine's an '08, but I don't think i've ever gotten lower than 300 miles on one tank. On the highway, I'm getting almost 400. I'm still hoping to break that barrier.
EPA gives 08 Fit 31mpg combined plus 08 has 10.8 gallon tank.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by got_FITted_09
Okay... here's my experience.

I set my trip meter to 0.0 after filling up a full tank of gas. I drove 340 miles (mostly freeway) to and from work without the low fuel warning light even turning on. I filled 9.285 gallons according to the gas station pump. 340 miles divided by 9.285 gallons is 36.6 miles per gallon. I would consider this I don't know... what's the word... GREAT... gas mileage and range (especially since my previous cars were a BMW M3 and Mazda RX-8).

Anyway... it's okay... don't be sad... bigger is not always better.
This would be sweet!! Everybody posting these awesome miles is from Cali though. Maybe I should move to Cali--but I heard the Govenator is going to start taxing the bill for basic auto repairs when you Californians gotta take your cars in for basic repairs = OUCH!!!! This idea SUCKS.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
This would be sweet!! Everybody posting these awesome miles is from Cali though. Maybe I should move to Cali--but I heard the Govenator is going to start taxing the bill for basic auto repairs when you Californians gotta take your cars in for basic repairs = OUCH!!!! This idea SUCKS.
Don't call it Cali, no one does here, lol.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 PM
On the freeway from the east bay to Santa Barbara, light traffic, 36psi F/33psi R with just me in the car while travelling at the speed limit= 41.5MPG after doing the math at the pump.

The 10.4 gallon tank is really a nonfactor. If you want to find something to complain about, it's the brakes. Drum brakes = WTF?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:12 PM
EPA gives 08 Fit 31mpg combined plus 08 has 10.8 gallon tank.
I wasn't aware that the ge8 had a smaller tank. It's probably a small difference in mileage, but you'd think the larger car would have a larger tank.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm in Maryland, and I typically get between 34 and 35 mpg, and I have the AT.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info

I wish I knew if i'd get 33-35 mpg. I drive conservatively, but again my experience is that the EPA's numbers tend to be accurate for the larger average. Wish I knew why you getting such good mileage.
You can check out what you'd probably get by inputting YOUR number here:
Fuel Economy

By "your numbers" I mean the amount of highway and city driving you do.
Click on "Compare Cars" and follow the instructions to get the model you were thinking of.

The automatic Sport gets the 29 average...but if you click on the link at the top, left, next to the photo of the car that says "Use your gas prices and annual miles", you can update the averages.

For instance, the m/t (sport or base) has the listing of 27, 33, 29 mpg.

But the Base a/t has a listing of 28, 35, 31 mpg. The Base is a little bit lighter (less weight, better efficiency). It has skinnier tires (less rolling resistance, better efficiency). And it has different gearing (engine isn't working as hard at higher speeds, better efficiency).

Remember that gas DOES have a weight, it's about 5.8 to 6.5 lbs per gallon. In comparison, ethanol weighs 6.59 lbs and water 8.33 lbs. ANY weight will decrease mpg. Leave the family yak and St. Bernard at home most of the time. Bigger tank would equal more weight, and since people tend to fill up, mpg estimates would go down. Right?

Keeping the annual miles at 15,000, all I do is slide the percentages all the way over to city driving 100% and the estimated mpg changes to 27, 33, 27. The estimations for the city and highway don't change, but what I can expect if I only do city driving is about 27.

Sliding it all the way over to 100% highway, then it will show an average as 33. If you are driving almost 100% highway, then you get better mileage.
---

Next to consider is how you drive. Read these articles when you have chance:

Start here, with the movie off to the right, comparing the SAME CARS driven differently, which driver are YOU?:
Your Mileage Will Still Vary

Read about the factors influencing mpg:
Many Factors Affect MPG

Read about improving your gas mpg via driving habits:
Tips to improve your Gas Mileage

This article talks mostly about reducing gas USE, but includes changing driving habits will increase fuel economy:
Families take frugal challenge: To cut back on gas use - USATODAY.com

One tip:

But during the 30-day challenge, Kelly used cruise control to maintain a steady speed. Instead of zooming up to stoplights and slamming on the brakes, she slowed down when she approached intersections. When merging, she waited until she had a clear right-of-way so she didn't have to race ahead of approaching cars.
Kelly says the changes added only about 10 minutes to her trips, but they significantly increased her miles per gallon. Previously, her Toyota 4-Runner got 16 to 17 miles per gallon, she says. During the challenge, it rose to 20-21 mpg.
"I was very surprised at the difference it made just by using cruise control," she says. "I could go a week without getting gas. Before, I went (to the gas station) maybe two, three times a week."
---

Changing driving habits can add 4 mpg in their case. Another part of the article says:

When he drove the Expedition, Randy increased his average mileage from about 12 to 15 mpg by lightening up on the accelerator. While that may not sound like a big deal, Randy says, for a low-mileage vehicle, "even a 3- or 5-miles-per-gallon change represents a big difference on a percentage basis."
---

You may find the indicator that shows approximate mpg to help you relearn to drive with economy and efficiency in mind. I am definitely driving more conservative than previously, and I drove like a grandma before.

That indicator gives me constant real-time feedback.

I don't drive much, and I've had the car nearly a month, and I'm not down to a half a tank yet. But it's all city, and right now it shows my average as being about 32 mpg.

I don't have any fancy techniques up my sleeve. No special add-ons. And my car is not broken in yet. Remember the Fuel Economy site says:
"New vehicles will not obtain their optimal fuel economy until the engine has broken in. This may take 3-5 thousand miles."

Mine is not even remotely close to being broken in.

Use that indicator as your helper. It'll tell you if you're driving like someone who can afford to gas up daily. Sure, we all need to get up to speed from a stop. Gently accelerating you'll see you get more mpg than you do if you floor it.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I have a MT Sport in Indianapolis, and on winter blend I'm getting 32-34, with mixed driving including 75mph on the highway.

Based on the instant gauge, the highway is killing me (I got 36 around town during the holiday's). Also, I don't think the motor has broken in yet, so hopefully I get a couple mpg back in another couple thousand miles, and summer gas blend will give me a couple back.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I drive exactly 49.5 miles from my driveway to the parking lot of my work. So at the end of the day I cover 100 miles. I drive 85% freeway and 15% back roads with minimal traffic. My on-board MPG shows a variant of 36-38 MPG since my last fill-up last Friday at night. Shortly before arriving home today, my low gas light came on at 310 miles. That's redonculous! I think it's freakin' awesome to cover so much miles and days before filling-up again, especially with the gas prices on the rise!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Thats if it passes.

Just get over it. There isn't really a perfect car and so far I'm at 201 miles with approximately half a tank used

Old 01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
At least when you pay at the pump it's a low amount. Never really bothered me either. More frequent fill ups, yeah but not too bad. It's the same as riding a motorcycle.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:29 AM
my low gas light went on this am. was tempted to drive the remaining 20 miles to work but didn't risk it. went to fill up and the pump said 9.4 gallons. (1.2 gal left) would have been ok but didn't want to risk it. i gas up prob every 3rd day. it's a bitch but it's the car i chose. adv's outweight the disadv's.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:29 AM
Ein
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
My mileage hasn't changed from 90F+ temps to 55F.

Also, the 09 MT Fits supposedly don't get any better MPGs compared to the ATs. And, the base AT gets better mileage than either.
Warm temperature changes between 90F and 55F have little affect on mileage. It's the cold temperature that kills the milage. The temperature here has been in the teens and minus this week and my milage has been down by at least 5mpg.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by Epoch
On the freeway from the east bay to Santa Barbara, light traffic, 36psi F/33psi R with just me in the car while travelling at the speed limit= 41.5MPG after doing the math at the pump.

The 10.4 gallon tank is really a nonfactor. If you want to find something to complain about, it's the brakes. Drum brakes = WTF?
yeah, i've read in reviews that the 09 Fit has TERRIBLE breaks. much worse than the 08 Fit. Car and Driver was upset with brakes too.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by vinn
Thats if it passes.

Just get over it. There isn't really a perfect car and so far I'm at 201 miles with approximately half a tank used
I hope for you Californians, it doesn't pass. That would be brutal to survival--taxing auto repairs.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by barams
my low gas light went on this am. was tempted to drive the remaining 20 miles to work but didn't risk it. went to fill up and the pump said 9.4 gallons. (1.2 gal left) would have been ok but didn't want to risk it. i gas up prob every 3rd day. it's a bitch but it's the car i chose. adv's outweight the disadv's.
Do you remember how many miles you had gone on the 9.4 gallons?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Ein
Warm temperature changes between 90F and 55F have little affect on mileage. It's the cold temperature that kills the milage. The temperature here has been in the teens and minus this week and my milage has been down by at least 5mpg.
how many miles a tank are you getting in that kind of cold?

Quick Reply: Biggest 09 Fit weakness is small gas tank