2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Biggest 09 Fit weakness is small gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jenhonski
I learned from a Honda engineer that you're not supposed to top off the gas tanks. It actually hurts mileage cause of vapor combustion or something. Best mileage = filling up only to first cut off.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's good to hear that the tank is not a problem for you. BUT if combined mpg is 29 how can you guys be getting cruising ranges in the 300s? Are you topping off your tanks? The new EPA mpgs are accurate in my experience. So I'm expecting to get about 29 mpg average over the course of a year. That's only about 270 miles a tank before I'd fill up (I like to fill up with no less than 1.5 gallon or so in tank). Well below 300.

I'm encouraged to hear your response and would love to get a MINIMUM of 300 miles before having to fill up. I get 300 minimum with FIT, I'm sold. But I don't see how this is possible with 29mpg and 10.6 gallon tank.
You should check the Eco Fit threads. There are people claiming to get about 45mpg and like 400+ per tank of gas. I drive about 100% city driving every 2 weeks(the time it takes me to fill up) and i get about 280-285 per tank(and i fill up when the light goes on), I also accelerate pretty hard too. So i had about 1gallon reserve when filling up, so about 31mpg. But the past weekend when i drove to vegas, i got about 335 miles to the tank, so about 38 mpg and i was driving 75-90mph the whole trip. So there are many factors involved. Thers always fine print on those EPA ratings that say that its not that accurate, i forgot where i saw that at.

*EDIT* btw, i have the blitz throttle controller too. So that probably affects my mpg a bit too(in a bad way)

Last edited by AnlDyxp_GD3; 01-14-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
The climate may influence results. I notice all you guys are in nice climate country.
True...

I haven't had my 09 through the summer here (which is brutal), but my 07 got between 32-34 with the A/C on all the time. FYI, both were/are sport AT. I've always gotten better mileage driving MTs in the past, so that may help you out as well.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
My mileage hasn't changed from 90F+ temps to 55F.

Also, the 09 MT Fits supposedly don't get any better MPGs compared to the ATs. And, the base AT gets better mileage than either.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm talking about Michigan weather. 90F to 10F plus ice and all that crap.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Still, my point is with 40Fº variance, my mileage hasn't changed one iota.

My parents, who reside in upstate NY, and had an 07 Fit, had mileage consistently in the low to mid 30 range.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Maybe the 09 fit newer technology gives more consistent mileage?

Anybody know why the Fit didn't score higher in EPAs numbers? I understand that put word that results vary but Fit Freaks tend to sound like they get higher than EPA mileage consistently--not just in this thread but thorughout the site. Why such a discrepancy?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe the 09 fit newer technology gives more consistent mileage?

Anybody know why the Fit didn't score higher in EPAs numbers? I understand that put word that results vary but Fit Freaks tend to sound like they get higher than EPA mileage consistently--not just in this thread but thorughout the site. Why such a discrepancy?
I dont know how the EPA numbers are produced or what kind of testing they do, but I'm sure its very different than everyones daily driving habits. And as stated in my earlier post, I can't remember where i saw it but it says that the EPA gas mileage numbers are not accurate based on whatever blah blah. I think those numbers are sort of a guidelines kinda thing. I guess thats why they call it an "estimate"

Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Exclamation

The primary thing that's stopped me from buying the Fit all ready is it's ridiculously small gas tank. I am really hesitant about buying the Fit because of it. A larger tank is preferable even if it cuts into cargo space. 10.6 gallons at combined mpg of 29 is unacceptable.

Hard to decide, the Fit is great except for the cruising range. The Civic has the cruising range and nicer instrument panel (climate buttons etc) but is more expensive and lacks USB audio (I won't buy sunroofed EX civic).

I'm thinking of holding out till 2010 to see if Fit gets larger tank or the LX civic gets USB audio.

get the new insight. a range of 420 miles or so.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure if different gas brand makes a difference. Last tank I had 33MPG (Shell regular) combined but this time it's worse, haven't fill it up yet but it'll be around 28MPG (Wawa regular). The strange thing is my best tank 33MPG I was actually driving it kind of hard because I was giving people ride to show them the car.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
From epa.gov:
Although no single test can ever account for the wide variety of driving conditions and styles, the new methods will bring the MPG estimates closer to the fuel economy consumers actually achieve on the road by taking into account conditions such as higher speeds, agressive driving, cold temperature operation and use of air conditioning.
The "aggressive driving" portion likely had the greatest impact on the new EPA estimates for the Fit. I don't think anyone buys a Fit to be an "aggressive" driver, and although there's still plenty of kick there to merge with traffic and pass slower vehicles, you're probably just going to be cruising most of the time.

Maybe a mpg request in the regional forum for Michigan?

Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu
get the new insight. a range of 420 miles or so.
Yeah, i'm considering the Insight. BUT I can't get around having to get an Automatic Transmission. I hate them. I always get manual. If the Insight had manual shift, I'd likely be sold because it has USB as well. I'd love to hear from any folk who have experience with the Honda paddle shifters.

Fit = USB but small cruising range
Civic = Good cruising range but no USB (+ higher price)
Insight = Good cruising range but no manual transmission (+ higher price)

Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, i'm considering the Insight. BUT I can't get around having to get an Automatic Transmission. I hate them. I always get manual. If the Insight had manual shift, I'd likely be sold because it has USB as well. I'd love to hear from any folk who have experience with the Honda paddle shifters.

Fit = USB but small cruising range
Civic = Good cruising range but no USB (+ higher price)
Insight = Good cruising range but no manual transmission (+ higher price)
Have you looked at cars from any other manufacturers? What are your primary concerns for your new car? I've always found spreadsheets helpful.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM
I know mine's an '08, but I don't think i've ever gotten lower than 300 miles on one tank. On the highway, I'm getting almost 400. I'm still hoping to break that barrier.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Okay... here's my experience.

I set my trip meter to 0.0 after filling up a full tank of gas. I drove 340 miles (mostly freeway) to and from work without the low fuel warning light even turning on. I filled 9.285 gallons according to the gas station pump. 340 miles divided by 9.285 gallons is 36.6 miles per gallon. I would consider this I don't know... what's the word... GREAT... gas mileage and range (especially since my previous cars were a BMW M3 and Mazda RX-8).

Anyway... it's okay... don't be sad... bigger is not always better.

Last edited by got_FITted_09; 01-14-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Trogdor!
Maybe a mpg request in the regional forum for Michigan?
I'm pretty sure a couple people mentioned they were from north of Detroit on the Aggressive Drivers thread.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I think the small gas tank is overly criticized. Honda usually sizes the gas tank to achieve similar cruising ranges in the Honda line up. Example, my RSX had a 13.6 gallon tank and would return somewhere of 24 mpg. I would average somewhere of 300-320 miles per tank. Guess what? Same with the Fit. My 18.5 gallon tank Accord? Same thing.

I look at it as a plus. When filling up, not only do you get rewarded by seeing only $18 at the pump rather than $50, but it takes 1 minute to fill up the tank rather than 3 minutes.
I think this is a very smart and well thought out response to the odd complaint.

I learned from a Honda engineer that you're not supposed to top off the gas tanks. It actually hurts mileage cause of vapor combustion or something. Best mileage = filling up only to first cut off.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's good to hear that the tank is not a problem for you. BUT if combined mpg is 29 how can you guys be getting cruising ranges in the 300s? Are you topping off your tanks? The new EPA mpgs are accurate in my experience. So I'm expecting to get about 29 mpg average over the course of a year. That's only about 270 miles a tank before I'd fill up (I like to fill up with no less than 1.5 gallon or so in tank). Well below 300.

I'm encouraged to hear your response and would love to get a MINIMUM of 300 miles before having to fill up. I get 300 minimum with FIT, I'm sold. But I don't see how this is possible with 29mpg and 10.6 gallon tank.
I bought my 09 fit (auto) in mid November. It's my daily driver and I get around 29-31 MPG. The tank is small but I still get just about the same cruising range as my 2003 Marauder (money pit) that has a 19 gallon tank and must use 91 or higher octane. Yes, the DOHC 32 Valve 4.6L Marauder is much more fun to drive (especially with my mods) but its GREAT having a daily driver like the FIT that gets around 30 (or more) MPG with 87 octane.

I own a home in South Florida and my family has a summer home in Maryland. Thus, I drive one of my cars there each summer. I cannot understand who needs a cruising range longer than 270-300+ miles. If you are driving across the Country (hwy), you should stop to stretch your legs and relax your mind WELL before you hit 300 miles (fill up at the same time) and you will NEVER need a longer range.

Also, the difference between your standard of a 300 mile range and that of the Fit (just short of it) in day to day driving will hardly be noticed by anyone unless they are really picky. Basically, you will end up filling your tank just one (1) day before your would with a car that gets just a little longer range. BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!

With the Fit, you will get a well built and thought out automobile that should prove VERY reliable (not to mention good looks and fun to drive). If you want to pass all that up so that you end up filling your tank 20-30 miles later, go for it.

Fail.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
This site shows how the EPA tests vehicles
HowStuffWorks "EPA Fuel Economy Overview"

Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 PM
I get like 350 on a tank. Just drive it nice and you can get way better combined.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Well 270 vs 300--I wanted 300 minimum. So I'm already having to drop my expectations way below what I didn't want to go below. Realistically, based on the calculations of my 97 civic, I should expect to fill up the Fit at about 252 miles. That sux. My Civic goes about 300 a tank with 11.9 tank and 30mpg. The Fit is 10.6 and 29 mpg. Thats 252.
If you are getting 30mpg with your 97 Civic then you should do better than that with the Fit. Same driving style and conditions and a smaller 1.5L engine. I think the weight is almost the same too.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM
FWIW, the smallish tank hasn't been an issue for me at all. I use the car for work commuting of about 25 miles a day.

Quick Reply: Biggest 09 Fit weakness is small gas tank