2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 roll over

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
09 roll over

I thought I would share pictures of my 09 Fit Sport after I rolled it on Thursday. I was heading out on a business trip at 4:30 am with one of my employees and hit an unexpected drift of snow which threw me out of control. I hit the bank (and big pile of snow) and then the Fit rolled at least twice down the shoulder. This was about 3 miles from home. We landed upright and the car ran fine so I drove it home with the door open (it had popped open after first roll and would not close). None of the airbags deployed.

Is was obviously pretty scary but it could have been a lot worse. Either of us was hurt (though a bit sore). The car definitely did its job protecting us. We both had our seatbelts on. It is a real bummer about the car, we just bought it in September…

The front bumper was trashed plus most the left side of the car. The left roof was crushed in a bit. The rear of the car and right side are not damaged. There was very little damage to the mechanical part of car. The radiator was dented a little bit but functional.

I got a call from body shop and it looks like it will be over $14,000 to repair so insurance company will probably total it. What a bummer...

Last edited by fliptwister; 01-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow!

Glad you and your passenger are OK.

It's interesting that the airbags didn't deploy, seems like they should have. Anybody have any insight on that?

+rep for you

Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
So the driver's side door came open on the first roll hit and then it hit again?

Glad everyone's safe.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
sorry to hear about this. very sad.
glad everyone is alright though.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
WOW. That looks like it could've been much worse for you than it turned out...glad you're OK...
FWIW, here in Michigan I recently installed Blizzak WS-60 tires on our '09 Sport, and it transformed the car's performance in snow/ice. Were you on stock tires?

Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
You are very lucky. It is a good thing that you were both wearing your seatbelt. The car held up great for rolling twice, quite odd that the airbags didn't deploy though.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Man, that's too bad. Glad you're ok! I would assume the impact wasn't hard enough to engage the airbags, and not a malfunction. My gf hit a tree head on at about 5mph and the airbags didn't go off. I imagine the car determines if they're necessary or not, because they can do more damage than good with the force they deploy at if they're not attempting to protect you from severe impact.

Isn't it kind of ironic that your name is "fliptwister"? Not making light of the situation, just saying.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by neteng101
So the driver's side door came open on the first roll hit and then it hit again?

Glad everyone's safe.
Yes. The door opened after first roll. and then got crushed the other way against the car. I vacuumed about 8 gallons of snow out of the car.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, glad to hear you and the passenger are ok....I cant believe you were able to drive it home after!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I'll add to the glad you're okay! That must have been one helluva ride.....I have to say though, the thought of you just driving home with the door unlatched after it rolled is a bit comical =p. You should go back to the dealer and ask "why didn't my airbags deploy?"....brings up an interesting point about those. though i think it might be because the rolling effect isn't quite as "hard impact" as you might think, since most of the momentum is in the axial direction and not right on the car and hence you.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
WOW. That looks like it could've been much worse for you than it turned out...glad you're OK...
FWIW, here in Michigan I recently installed Blizzak WS-60 tires on our '09 Sport, and it transformed the car's performance in snow/ice. Were you on stock tires?
Yes they were the stock tires (Dunlop Sport 7000). They worked surprisingly well in the snow in my mind. In this case the tires probably would not have made a difference. It was more a case of how deep the drift was. It was very windy and early am and the plows had not been out in a while (it was not snowing). I was driving kind of cautiously because we had seen another drift. I was probably going 40 - 45. Obviously I was not cautious enough...

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by bluebledthesea
Isn't it kind of ironic that your name is "fliptwister"? Not making light of the situation, just saying.
My actual nickname is Flip so I have been hearing a lot of those comments the last 4 days

Old 01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
You guys are lucky! I wonder why the door popped open? Does it have Navi? Are you going to part it out?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by fliptwister
Yes. The door opened after first roll. and then got crushed the other way against the car. I vacuumed about 8 gallons of snow out of the car.
Glad your both OK. I'm more concerned that the door came open. I assume it was locked? Did your car have auto-lock where the door locks automatically when you get to a certain speed or out of park?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fliptwister
Yes they were the stock tires (Dunlop Sport 7000). They worked surprisingly well in the snow in my mind. In this case the tires probably would not have made a difference. It was more a case of how deep the drift was. It was very windy and early am and the plows had not been out in a while (it was not snowing). I was driving kind of cautiously because we had seen another drift. I was probably going 40 - 45. Obviously I was not cautious enough...
WOW! Very scary!

I'm so glad to hear that YOU and your passenger are OK!!!

And I too am amazed at how little damage there is to the passenger compartment, and that you were able to drive home in the car after it rolled.

Truthfully, the only way to avoid all auto accidents is never to drive.

You can check out this Honda blurb about safety, and it says about the side airbags, that they are for severe side impacts:
Honda Media Newsroom Release: 2009 Honda Fit - Safety

All I can say is I sure am glad you were wearing your seat belts! The way that door looks? That could have been you.

So, if it's totaled, which FIT are you getting next? Because after seeing how well you were protected, I'm extra glad that *I* have a FIT too. Not that any one wants to get in an accident, but if it does happen, it's good to know that the roof doesn't cave in. The windshield glass didn't even shatter all over. That's amazing.

Is the only glass that completely broke on the driver's door? It looks like the windshield glass "bent", but didn't shower you with broken glass. That really is incredible.

You're going to be stiff in a day or two. Very stiff. You'll probably want to see doctor. they have pain killers and muscle relaxants that work pretty good. It will help you to relax and to get to sleep at night. Hot baths too. Epsom salts can be helpful, I have found.

Edit: Oops, I wasn't paying enough attention, that'll teach me to type while drowsy. This happened last week. How are you feeling now, physically? OK?

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 01-12-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: thought it happened today
Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned
I'll add my congratulations on the good outcome for you and your passenger. Airbags require a lot more force of impact than a rollover to be triggered. If your side or side curtain airbags had deployed, you would have been more than "a little sore".

Old 01-12-2009, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
not to hate on Honda as I love mine, but since you are in the snow maybe a Subie would be a better car? if it wasn't for the fact that Im in CA I would have gotten a subie instead...Im glad you are ok though.(I assume this as you posted on a forum, not many would if they were busy with a serious injury)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
The door was not locked and did not lock automatically (on mode I have it set to). I imagine the door popped open because the left side of roof got crushed.

I will hopefully be getting another Fit but there is still the financial part of this to sort out. The insurance company will give me blue book value of car. The amount I owe on car (after only 3 payments) will be significantly more than what they give me. I did not get gap insurance. My wife is very worried. The Fit was a third car so at least we have a car for me to drive.

The windshield was broken but did not shatter. The door glass shattered and also the little drivers triangle window (the rear view mirror poked through it when door got crushed wrong way).

We are feeling OK now. We were sore the first couple of days but we have recovered.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by projekz
You guys are lucky! I wonder why the door popped open? Does it have Navi? Are you going to part it out?
It does not have navi. What do you mean about parting it out? I imagine that there are many parts of the car that the insurance company will sell for parts. Probably 2/3 of the body panels, 3 doors, motor, drive train, etc. Is it possible to sell parts yourself and get more than insurance company's settlement?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow glad to see that nobody was seriously injured!!

Quick Reply: 09 roll over