2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

09 roll over

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
OMG
glad everybody is ok

you gone take another one new???

Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
good thing your airbags didnt deploy. you could have gotten alot more hurt.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Sorry to hear what happened but glad to hear you and your passenger are ok.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know how it works in the States but here you can buy the car back from the insurance company once they have paid you out. Sometimes it's worth it depending how much you can buy it for and part it out!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... I'm going to seriously put some thought into some Blizzaks for next year. Glad you're ok.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fliptwister
It does not have navi. What do you mean about parting it out? I imagine that there are many parts of the car that the insurance company will sell for parts. Probably 2/3 of the body panels, 3 doors, motor, drive train, etc. Is it possible to sell parts yourself and get more than insurance company's settlement?
I think in many cases, and I gather this only from what my buddy with a body shop has told me, you are not allowed to strip the car to sell for parts..BUT thats CA may want to check with your insurance company...if you can I'll take your hood and rear truck badges.. and maybe a headlight for research purposes....

Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
So glad you're alright!! Thanks for the pics, will be sending to my mom so that she can see how safe I am in my car

When I went to the new owner's clinic my dealer offered, they told us the airbags won't deploy unless there's front impact at a certain speed. I assume your roll didn't include front impact, so that probably explains why they didn't deploy.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by fliptwister
It does not have navi. What do you mean about parting it out? I imagine that there are many parts of the car that the insurance company will sell for parts. Probably 2/3 of the body panels, 3 doors, motor, drive train, etc. Is it possible to sell parts yourself and get more than insurance company's settlement?
Insurance company will probably make you sign the title over as a condition of the settlement. That's what CARFAX is referring to when they say "salvage title" in their marketing.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:32 PM
First, glad to hear you and your passenger were uninjured. But there is no way that the door should have come open, even if it was unlocked. You might want to send that photo and the info on your accident to Honda NA, I'll bet that they'd like to take a look at your latch and see what went wrong.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
First, glad to hear you and your passenger were uninjured. But there is no way that the door should have come open, even if it was unlocked. You might want to send that photo and the info on your accident to Honda NA, I'll bet that they'd like to take a look at your latch and see what went wrong.
Or take a photo of the latch on the door and the pillar frame and post it for us to see.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by blythe
So glad you're alright!! Thanks for the pics, will be sending to my mom so that she can see how safe I am in my car

When I went to the new owner's clinic my dealer offered, they told us the airbags won't deploy unless there's front impact at a certain speed. I assume your roll didn't include front impact, so that probably explains why they didn't deploy.
Not true.
The side air bags in the front seats and the side curtain air bags over the windows deploy in guess what? Side impacts. They don't go off in front impacts. I know from experience.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm glad ur all safe. That was a nice color fit, sad to see it go... Hopefully you can have better luck with your next car.

Last edited by spdster; 01-12-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 09BlackPearlMT
Wow!

Glad you and your passenger are OK.

It's interesting that the airbags didn't deploy, seems like they should have. Anybody have any insight on that?

+rep for you

Airbags deploy as a result of deceleration exceeding a target amount, sucjh as 1.2 g, or 38.5 ft per sec per second. If you didn't exceed that decel the airbags don't deploy.
It is reasonable that only a rollover in which you don't hit anything would not generate 1.2 g. And the real limit is probably higher than that.
The setting can't be very low because then every hard braking or parking lot bump would deploy the airbags. And its not surprising that even a door slamming can generate 2 g's.
that help?
its also why m/c riders can fall and slide a long way w/o injury but a person can merely fall over and hit their head hard enough to be killed.
Its not how long you stop, its how quickly.The 50% fatality for head injuries is about 15 g's for more than a tenth of a second.
Remember that next time you ride a M/C.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
wow it still runs!!!

any pics from the embankment?

glad all is well.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you guys are ok.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Glad to hear you guys are ok. I can't believe it was still drivable after flipping over! No way that is going to be repairable.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Not true.
The side air bags in the front seats and the side curtain air bags over the windows deploy in guess what? Side impacts. They don't go off in front impacts. I know from experience.
Sorry, should have clarified. My point with that post is that it requires a certain amount of speed. Front air bags won't go off without front impact. Poorly written post, my bad!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by blythe
Sorry, should have clarified. My point with that post is that it requires a certain amount of speed. Front air bags won't go off without front impact. Poorly written post, my bad!
I just wanted to be sure that you weren't misinformed at your dealer clinic. The air bags deploy with so much force, you would not want them to go off in a rollover, or want your side curtain bags to deploy in a front end crash.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Exclamation Wow!

Glad you're both ok.

Yeah, even if you hadn't shown us pics or told us -- a rollover would inevitably mean a TOTALED Fit.

I was in a rollover years ago with a friend who was driving a brand-new VW Golf. Only thing different was we didn't land right side up. We were hanging from the seats by the seatbelts! And the gas tank was punctured and leaking. Fortunately it was a diesel. Both of us got cuts from the broken glass but were otherwise ok.

What color will your new Fit be?

Old 01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Glad your okay. It's a bummer, but sometimes being "totaled" is a good thing. Cars with substantial damage won't always be the same even after their fixed.

wish you luck with the insurance though.

manxman had a good experience with his insurance when his fit was wrecked.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...taled-fit.html

Quick Reply: 09 roll over