2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Ipod via USB controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah but my favorite function on my ipod of the shuffle.... i just shuffle until i find a song i wanna hear! hahah

Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
On the Nav unit, you can select Shuffle mode from the screen.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kdean101
Yeah but my favorite function on my ipod of the shuffle.... i just shuffle until i find a song i wanna hear! hahah
That could take 6000 tries foe me.

Originally Posted by Alpha Zero
On the Nav unit, you can select Shuffle mode from the screen.
You can choose to shuffle the songs on the non-nav unit. We just want a way to get to that favorite song at the end of the alphabet.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I had a Dension Icelink installed in my previous vehicle. As far as iPod interfaces I've seen, it's the best yet. You could browse via the steering wheel controls (albeit slowly), or use it manually, while it still charged in a dock that was perfectly installed on the dash (thanks BestBuy!).

I have the '09 w/ navi but am waiting for a new iPod that I just ordered because my old one wouldn't work. Let's hope this is good, because I'm not dropping another $300 for an icelink.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Goodguy-Fly
That could take 6000 tries foe me.
Sounds like you could stand to delete some music.

I only download songs that I like listening to, so the random feature is plenty for me.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spinlooproll
The USB connector to the Honda audio/navi unit is a pure USB connection (digital data over a high speed serial interface). No analog output there. It reads flash drives as mass storage drives and the iPod (probably) as a special iPod class device using a driver that it bought/developed.

The 1/8th jack is an analog audio out, that is fed into the Honda power amps for the 4/6 speakers (through the bass/treble audio controls, obv). Changing the volume on your iPod should change it on the speakers.
Thanks for the replies guys...however, my original debate was between the use of either format as they relate to sound quality, specifically. If the 1/8" powered output is used, does the iPod internal headphone pre-amp produce a higher quality sound output (enhanced frequency range/output) vs. using the line out connection?

Anyway, I'm answering my own question here...any amplifier adds a certain level of distortion to the sound output. Even though using the 1/8" iPod output may "sound louder", utilizing the line out connection and allowing the Fit's head unit to amplify will produce superior quality sound.

Last edited by reako; 03-02-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by No_Skillz
Sounds like you could stand to delete some music.

I only download songs that I like listening to, so the random feature is plenty for me.
The limitations of listening to my audio collections in the Fit have encouraged me to re-evaluate my song library as well. Initially, I just dumped everything onto a 32GB flash drive and just kept hitting "random"...but this seemed like the first half of my drive was spent continuously changing tracks until I found a song I felt like listening to!

I may soon prioritize my collections, bite the bullet and buy an iPod, then create "playlists" organized by genre's or other similar criteria.
The project seems rather daunting, really. I may just end up subscribing to Sirius radio.......they have a similar sized collection, yet it's already organized for me!

Last edited by reako; 03-02-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I got a few different playlist on my ipod I got 4500 songs.

ONe playlist is for my favorites (plus 4 stars) in itunes you can copy to play order and have the newest ones play first.

I also got a my Most played.... this is a nice playlist cuz it has bout 700songs and with it being on random I really dont have to worry.

Just play your smart playlist function in Itunes and you will get things you like.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 AM
FWIW, I have various playlists on my Ipod, including a smart playlist for unplayed songs--I just pick a playlist and hit random and let it play.

All in all, the Fit's Ipod interface works pretty well considering its an included feature on the sport.

I paid over $500 for a Dension Gateway 500 to add Ipod capability on my other car, and it was very frustrating while Dension keep tweaking their firmware.

I'm happy with the Fit, but then again, the way I listen to my Ipod, I rarely look for a specific song or artist. So I just decide if I want the entire music library to play in random order, or one of my playlists. And for that the Fit works fine.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM
I picked up a new iPod Shuffle yesterday, and the NAV doesn't play with it. The screen reads out unsupported.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zakurie
I picked up a new iPod Shuffle yesterday, and the NAV doesn't play with it. The screen reads out unsupported.
A few members have reported the same issue with their iPod Shuffle not being supported:

01-22-2009, 12:27 AM
achia

Oh, i forgot to mention that i have noticed my new gen ipod Shuffle not working on my GE's usb

12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
lannie_poo

i tried my ipod shuffle and it didnt work

The iPod Shuffle may interact differently with iTunes and the Fit USB in comparison with other screen baring iPods...and may output ID3 tags in a way which cannot be read from an external screen etc. - it's possible something in this design may prevent it from outputting this information and therefore may not be supported. The only thing I can think to try is re-formatting it to be used like an external storage device. I've got one lying around...just tried re-formatting it to test for ya. I'll have to wait to plug it in until my wife gets home with the Fit later this evening. What you could do for now is just use the 1/8" headphone output with the AUX in...

EDIT: The Fit is home, and I tested my Shuffle...even after re-formatting to FAT32 I still receive the UNSUPPORTED message - I believe your out of luck sir, just get a flash drive if your looking for the most affordable solution to playing your MP3 collection using the Fit USB interface.

Last edited by reako; 03-13-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I get that sometimes with my iPhone also. This works for my iPhone, so it may or may not work with the shuffle, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try.
Start the music playing on the shuffle before plugging it into the car.
If it works, great! If not, it was worth a try.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
If you're going to use the AUX input with your iPod, get a line out cable to get the best sound quality. The one I use looks exactly like this:

I got mine from Cables To Go, but Digital Universe also sells them. Link:

CABLES TO GO 4FT IPOD 3.5MM TO DOCK CONNECTOR CABLE

The dock connector is also a line out, which bypasses the volume control and provides a much cleaner signal. With the stock audio in the Fit, you won't be able to tell the difference in sound quality between the line out and a USB connection.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Soooo, I just got our fit, plugged the ipod in and everything works well.....except, if your favorite artis is U2........then it takes ALL DAY to get to their music...Any tips? Make a playlist....rename their albums starting with an "A"?

Old 03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
A simple question

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Fit for my mom last night (09 Fit Sport Auto w/Nav, Tidewater Blue) and it's going to be ready by friday. I have been wondering about the audio situation for a while though. Her previous car, a 2001 Range Rover, had a 6 disc changer in the trunk with 6 cds that I burned for her. Because of her complete lack of technological savvy, I want to recreate this setup on her new Fit as closely as I can. I was initially thinking of just loading those 6 cds onto my old ipod as playlists and showing her how to pick them on the Nav screen. I know this would work, but it seems like a waste of my perfectly usable 3rd gen nano.

My next idea was just to throw the songs onto a usb flash drive. The only problem is that I'm unsure of what the interface for this looks like. Are the songs grouped by artist at all? Growing up on records, she doesn't like to "shuffle" her music (even though I try to explain that listening to the radio is essentially the same thing!).

So basically, my question is this: if I were to put her 6 cds into named folders on a properly formatted flash drive, would those folders essentially act as playlists?

Also, whats all this about a "Digital Audio-Card Reader"? Is that the solution to my problem?

Thanks everyone,

Josh

Old 03-18-2009, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zman11
Hi everyone,

So basically, my question is this: if I were to put her 6 cds into named folders on a properly formatted flash drive, would those folders essentially act as playlists?

Also, whats all this about a "Digital Audio-Card Reader"? Is that the solution to my problem?

Thanks everyone,

Josh

Josh,
Short answer is yes. If you have properly labeled tags for your mp3s, even better so she knows what's playing, big and clear.

To ensure that the songs play in order, note that folders/files play in the order they were written (I think it just goes through the FAT entries serially, didn't bother to think about it, not sure). You can search posts in the forums, a program called drivesort works for people. I just know how to do it in Windows through some careful ordering of select and drag actions.

Last edited by spinlooproll; 03-18-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: change options to actions
Old 03-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Yes, you can sort by Album, Artist, etc.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Ahh, excellent!

I'm ordering a 4gb flash drive on newegg right now.

One thing I don't quite get is this "drivesort" program. What exactly would that allow me to do? Couldn't I just drag the folders with the mp3 files into the drive?

I use a Mac by the way.

thanks!

Old 03-19-2009, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by zman11
Ahh, excellent!

I'm ordering a 4gb flash drive on newegg right now.

One thing I don't quite get is this "drivesort" program. What exactly would that allow me to do? Couldn't I just drag the folders with the mp3 files into the drive?

I use a Mac by the way.

thanks!
Unless you drag them one song at a time, you can't control the order in which they are written to the drive...they only will show on the screen in the order written.

Drivesort allows the alphabetization of the files after the copy.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
You could probably just fit the 6 albums onto an mp3 CD, since the Fit plays those. You could just put each album in a folder, and she can pick the folder right there on the stereo. It's cheaper than a flash drive.

Quick Reply: Ipod via USB controls